PDA

View Full Version : car battery factory

jman380
01-23-2003, 10:38 PM
well iahve a 2001 with barely 15000 miles on it. i know its been cold in chitown but damn my car barely wants to start everything dims out really bad then it starts. does anyone else have this problem. also when it starts the engine is hitting real hard like if i have no oil but i doi mean it sounds like shit when i first start letting it warm up any info guys

BlankMan
01-23-2003, 10:42 PM
Same symptons with the negative temps we aree having in Iowa. I do believe that's normal given the conditions. The factory battery is a weakling anyway. I'll be replacing mine with one rated at 850CCA before next winter...

If you don't use synthetic oil, you might want to get it. Helps alot with cold temp starting.

J

GaLaNtKeV99
01-23-2003, 10:50 PM
Having the same problems in New York w/ the single digit temperatures?
But i plan to change my battery in summer to an optima yellow top?

All i do is make sure to give the car a good 10 minutes to warm up.

NRG
01-23-2003, 11:34 PM
Yeah just upgrade to an Optima Yellow Top.......Perfect for cold cranks.........But if you are not going to put in a sound system, I would suggest the Red Top as it is cheaper and its made for just cranking....

tim888tim
01-24-2003, 09:38 PM
I was having the same problem with my battery last month. I cleaned the connectors and filled the cells with water. (it says that it is maintaince free but it isn't) I then put it on a charger for an hour. Since then it has been starting like it was new.

Reelax
01-24-2003, 09:45 PM
the stock battery is ass. almost everybody on this board has had problems w/ it. i have a optima blue top (marine version fo the optima yellow top deep cylce) now and have had no problems even w/ 1300 watts blasting w/ the iginition off for a 1/2 hour at time.

pinoyesv6
01-24-2003, 09:45 PM
u say everythign dims just b4 u start the car. here's a lil tip. don't turn anything on until the car is on. having ur acessories on will put a load on the battery but then ur gonna have trouble cuz the battery can't give ur starter its all cuz u got ur acessories on. but yea, get the battery checked out. the last thing u want to happen is be stranded cuz ur battery died

99DE
01-25-2003, 12:47 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Reelax)</div><div class='quotemain'>the stock battery is ass. Â*almost everybody on this board has had problems w/ it. Â*i have a optima blue top (marine version fo the optima yellow top deep cylce) now and have had no problems even w/ 1300 watts blasting w/ the iginition off for a 1/2 hour at Â*time.</div>

Man, all this talk of our stock battery makes me nervous. I still have the stock battery on my 99 with 80,000 miles and my car starts fine. Maybe, cause I live in S. Cali. I think maybe at 90,000 service I'll change it out just for peace of mind.

Fishboy55
01-25-2003, 05:44 AM
Same thing here in MD. The factory battery just doesn't like the cold. Mine is three years old with 45,000 miles on it. I know it's time to buy a new one. It's just a matter of time.

Chip

Reelax
01-27-2003, 01:30 PM
the stock battery is ass. almost everybody on this board has had problems w/ it. i have a optima blue top (marine version fo the optima yellow top deep cylce) now and have had no problems even w/ 1300 watts blasting w/ the iginition off for a 1/2 hour at time.

Man, all this talk of our stock battery makes me nervous. I still have the stock battery on my 99 with 80,000 miles and my car starts fine. Maybe, cause I live in S. Cali. I think maybe at 90,000 service I'll change it out just for peace of mind.

yeah im in socal too but i think my amps ate my stock battery. if ur battery hasn't given you problems, don't sweat it. your lucky. mine stranded me in the middle of the night and i had to jump my car from my cuzin's car w/ my subwoofer speaker wires (neither of us had jumper cables). i bought the yellow top the next day and haven't had a battery problem since.

Auto-9
01-27-2003, 06:19 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Fishboy55)</div><div class='quotemain'>The factory battery just doesn't like the cold. </div>

Maybe it's because they're made in Mexico https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif It just don't get cold down there...