PDA

View Full Version : easy to put in window?

Turboutlaw
01-24-2003, 06:42 PM
how easy is it to replace a broken window, some assholes broke into my car, too bad I take everything thing out so they didnt get a damn thing. So, would it be pretty easy to replace the front passenger power window?? I'm pretty decent around my car and last time they replaced one of my little windows I didnt think it looked that bad... I just dont konw about the power window part. Anyone know if its hard? thanks

pinoyesv6
01-24-2003, 08:43 PM
the install should be like a basic install. the only thing i'd be afraid of is handling a big piece of glass. i'd hate for my hand to slip or somethign and watch that glass just shatter. maybe just open up the door panel and take al ok around. see how its installed. if that doesn't scare u then maybe u can go on and install it yourself

Turboutlaw
01-25-2003, 05:17 PM
well just in case anyone else has to do this I thought I would give a followup. I took off the panel and got a little discouraged because I couldnt see real deep, and also I didn't feel like having to go through the pain of getting all the broken glass out of the door and everywhere else, so I took it to a shop. The window was 180ish which sucked. I actually helped the guy with the install so that I could learn everything, it really can be done by most of us. only a few tricky things that I wouldnt have picked up on by myself, but the guy was really nice and taught me how to do it. He even gave me half off the install since I was so active in wanting to help him and all. If anyone ever has to do this PM me and ask me any questions at all, I think that just about everyone here can do it if they know the little things. with luck there won't be any pricks running around breaking your window when I always take everything out that they could have wanted before I leave my car for a couple of days. Happy galanting..

gtx
05-08-2008, 05:17 PM
Back from the dead. I got a new front door from a junkyard. However, the window was broken. I'm getting all the small pieces out one by one, but I was wondering, how on Earth will I put in the new one? I'm looking at the FSM, but I can't figure it out. If anybody has done this, please let me know, thanks. Basicaly I'm trying to transfer everything from my old door onto the new one. So I guess I also need to know how to take out the window from the old one.

ChiGalant
05-08-2008, 05:59 PM
it shouldnt be that hard, i replaced my back window make sure before you tighten everything, to gove it a test run and see if it goes all the way up and aligns perfectly... you should be ok ... watch your fingers

gtx
05-08-2008, 07:04 PM
it shouldnt be that hard, i replaced my back window make sure before you tighten everything, to gove it a test run and see if it goes all the way up and aligns perfectly... you should be ok ... watch your fingers

Hmm... I got the feeling I'm missing something obvious. The rear seems to be easier, I assume you just removed the rear slide (center door sash in the fsm), slid it in from the top, than moved it into its place? I don't have my old door apart to see exactly how big is the window, but should it just slide in straight? Or is there a trick to it?

silversurfer
05-10-2008, 09:22 AM
yes u have to put the front of the window down in the door first then straighten it out once you get it in there

Stewi
05-10-2008, 02:21 PM
I just took out the driver front glass on my parts car not long ago so I got this pretty fresh in my mind. Once the trim and all is removed, peel back that water shield and you will see the window regulator which is the motor on a brass looking track, unbolt it all, drop it down and then slide the new glass in thru the top. Its easiest to slide the glass in on an angle with the lower corner towards the back of the car going in first, you can even install it completely sideways too then stand it upgright once its in the door, get it sitting on the regulator/track good, then bolt the track back into place. Dont torque the bolts until you do a test run and make sure the window goes up and door freely.

Ruslik
05-10-2008, 02:31 PM
yea its not that hard to install
just make sure u get all the old broken glass out of the door
or it will rattle and more some annoying noise

gtx
05-10-2008, 05:37 PM
Nice, thanks guys. Yeah, I spent hours hunting down every single glass piece, but I got them. The door is pretty much stripped now. The door is straight, but unfortunately has some small dings. Nothing major, but enough to annoy me. I wonder if there is a way to massage them out from the inside? If not, I guess they'll just get fixed once the car gets repainted in the future :(

glantv699
05-23-2009, 09:17 AM
I'm headed out to pick up a piece of glass in just a few minutes, so chances are I'll be tackling this install today. Any additional tips/advice from those with experience?