PDA

View Full Version : Electronically adjustable suspension

Slammed90Galant
01-24-2003, 07:58 PM
:?:Hey, I've been looking around in this forum and i was wondering if anyone here has a galant with electronically adjustable suspension? I got this suspension in my car and when i bought the car the guy i bought it from had taken the compressor out because the piston in it blew apart. I now know the reason why he didnt buy a new one, it's $1200! Does anyone even know of this suspension and whether or not i can get a cheaper rebuilt compressor for it!?

Proud Galant Driver
01-24-2003, 08:05 PM
what is it? a vr4? year?

manybrews
01-25-2003, 09:11 AM
there are no aftermarket pieces at all for that suspension setup.
and its not cost effective to try and replace the whole thing with non-electronic suspension, which does NOT just bolt right into place anyway.
unfortunatly, its either the original pieces or live with it broken.

Slammed90Galant
01-26-2003, 03:12 PM
I have a 1990 galant GS. This is a special model because its a non turbo DOHC w/o AWD. I know that aftermarket parts are a rarity for this car, but i was really wondering whether or not anyone knew of anyone who actually knew of any place that has rebuilt parts or any junkyard that has a lot of parts for galants, it doesnt even have to be in the albany area either. I know that all the auto parts stores convert it over to struts, but i aint gonna consider that. I just want that FN compressor, hehe. Hopefully for less than $1200.

manybrews
01-26-2003, 10:31 PM
the problem is that even if you CAN find a used compressor (of which there are actually 2, by the way), it will probably be in the same shape as the one you currently have.

there are 3 major failures on those suspension systems.
1)the struts "pop". must be then replaced with factory struts, as there are no aftermarket replacements
2)the compressors seize (one located under the hood, the other located in the large "beer keg" air reservoir under the right front fender
3)the rear height sensor seizes.

most of these problems are MUCH more pronounced in crappy climates (cold, snow, and salt).

Slammed90Galant
02-07-2003, 12:54 PM
Well, I was just wondering whether or not it was possible for there to be any parts for this suspension. Thanks for all the help tho.

talontd
02-09-2003, 03:17 PM
I have a 1990 Galant GS and I've had the same problem w/ the suspension. I bought the car knowing that the suspension was gone.....

After all the pricing and stuff..... the obvious way to go is to replace the system w/ aftermarket shocks/springs/coilovers.......

It has come to my attention that we acutally share the same suspension to our cousins the talon/eclipse/laser.

The setup I'm leaning towards is the KYB AGX mated w/ the Ground Control coilover sleeves

The price to this (much better) aftermarket setup is the same to repair our stock hydro system.

Hope this helps some
:wink:

Prolab
02-10-2003, 01:55 AM
As you know, its expensive to replace the factory comnponents. The easiest and cheapest i know is to replace it with regular struts. It'll save you a ton of headache.

ken inn
02-10-2003, 09:14 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(talontd)</div><div class='quotemain'>I have a 1990 Galant GS and I've had the same problem w/ the suspension. Â*I bought the car knowing that the suspension was gone.....

After all the pricing and stuff..... the obvious way to go is to replace the system w/ aftermarket shocks/springs/coilovers.......

It has come to my attention that we acutally share the same suspension to our cousins the talon/eclipse/laser. Â*

The setup I'm leaning towards is the KYB AGX mated w/ the Ground Control coilover sleeves

The price to this (much better) aftermarket setup is the same to repair our stock hydro system. Â*

Hope this helps some
:wink:</div>

you may THINK the suspension is the same, but it is NOT. close, but not the same. in my search for suspension on the vr4, i found that the front struts are slightly taller, the spring perches are slightly higher, and the dampening and spring rates differ by about 33%. in the rear, the strut is much taller, and dampening and spring rates a LOT more different.

manybrews
02-10-2003, 05:02 PM
the suspensions are NOT the same, and regular struts dont just "bolt in".

talontd
02-11-2003, 05:16 PM
"you may THINK the suspension is the same, but it is NOT. close, but not the same. in my search for suspension on the vr4, i found that the front struts are slightly taller, the spring perches are slightly higher, and the dampening and spring rates differ by about 33%. in the rear, the strut is much taller, and dampening and spring rates a LOT more different."

I was afraid that the parts may be off a little... that's why I've opted to go w/ ground conrol for the coilovers and KYB AGX's for the shocks.....

Both of which have specific part #'s for our cars.....

"The suspensions are NOT the same, and regular struts dont just "bolt in"

They should bolt it..... they're not identical but they'll fit