PDA

View Full Version : Rear tire not flat but sounds like it.

lapdog
01-24-2003, 08:45 PM
1995 Glaant S

Had a couple of nails in a rear tire. Patched it and noticed that I now had a tire that looked fine but that sounded flat when I hit the brake (not when accellerating or driving). Thought that maybe the 4ply was seperating or there was an air bubble in the tire, so I rotated the tires front to back. I still have that flat tire sound in the rear when breaking especially at freeway speeds.

I did see a strange wear pattern in the old tire - like wide diagonal stripes across the tire tread that meets the road. Some say shocks, some say its the rear suspension that is out of alignment.

My question is more than just asking what the problem is, but rather what is the correct way to approach this problem or rather how do I troubleshoot this problem.

BTW, my shocks have never been replaced (135K miles) - don't laugh.

I suspect the rear breaks, but have never heard of a problem like this where you can hear the tire doing a flop-flop sound while breaking - thats what it sounds like anyway.

What would a good mechanic do?

95vegasgalant
01-24-2003, 10:42 PM
:twisted: get a brake check what state ru from Im the official 7 G mechanic :twisted: