View Full Version : motor swap 03 galant into a 99 galant HELP!!!!

jt600gsxr
11-03-2008, 05:43 AM
1. ive looked thru 100 pages of threads and no answer.
1.5 everyone wants a bigger motor i want the same one
2.im not much of a car guy just no that my babys gotten me thru thick and thin
3.now she needs a new life.
4. i found a 60k 03 galant motor 2.4
5. i need to know if it will work i know it will fit just really will i have to do any custom stuff like on the tranny upgrades......please dont cut my head off just need someone to either hold my hand or point me in the right direction.

so my question is, will the 03 fit in my 99 and do i have to do anything extra after install? if not what years can i just install and go

Stewi
11-03-2008, 06:30 AM
Yes it will fit. If the motor your buying still has the A/c compressor attached to it, you can use it, if it doesnt have the compressor, but it has the bracket for the compressor, you must remove that bracket and reinstall your old compressor and bracket. The bracket on the 99 is black and made of cast steel, the bracket on the 00-03 is silver and made of aluminum. If you try to use a 99 compressor with a 00+ bracket, the belt wont line up. Aside from that everything is pretty straight forward.

jt600gsxr
11-03-2008, 11:23 AM
thanks for the kind reply i know guys on here 24/7 go nuts for common threads. last question i did notice the fuse box was completely diff. besides the engine is there anything else off that 03 to put on my car that you would recommend.

jt600gsxr
11-03-2008, 12:27 PM
i just got back from the dealer and im steaming i asked the parts department guy if i will be able to swap the motors. this guy shruggs his shoulders and says "I dont know" freakn idiot your suppose to find out he tells me "try it and let me know". i wanted to slap him. so i said thanks for the help and asked for a supervisor. the super comes out and i tell him the same thing he says yes should be the same the motors that they have the same part #'s. he said that for safty reasons he cant say yes but "yes"

Stewi
11-03-2008, 10:06 PM
The dealer wont help you with anything, ever. Bottom line is, if they aint making money off your ass, your not getting any help from them. Also, parts dept people know dick about cars, they know part#'s and prices, thats it. My local dealer SERVICE DEPT MANAGER told me that it was impossible to do the EVO swap into my car. A little more than a year from that day I brought my car into the service dept parking lot and left about 100 feet of rubber on the ground and all the mechanics came out drolling over the swap.

It will work, the fuse boxes are different because the 02-03 uses a different dash/engine harness, but trust me its the same thing. I took the motor out of a 2002 8g and swapped it into "GoldGalant[REBORN]
"s 01 8g with no trouble at all. If you get into it and have a question or something, just post up and we can walk you thru it.

GALANT4U
11-03-2008, 11:13 PM
The dealer wont help you with anything, ever. Bottom line is, if they aint making money off your ass, your not getting any help from them. Also, parts dept people know dick about cars, they know part#'s and prices, thats it. My local dealer SERVICE DEPT MANAGER told me that it was impossible to do the EVO swap into my car. A little more than a year from that day I brought my car into the service dept parking lot and left about 100 feet of rubber on the ground and all the mechanics came out drolling over the swap.

It will work, the fuse boxes are different because the 02-03 uses a different dash/engine harness, but trust me its the same thing. I took the motor out of a 2002 8g and swapped it into "GoldGalant[REBORN]
"s 01 8g with no trouble at all. If you get into it and have a question or something, just post up and we can walk you thru it.

expert talikng here kid u better listen......

jt600gsxr
11-04-2008, 10:20 AM
im no kid, but im not a dummy thats why i came to the site......

THIS IS WHAT I DO

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ho0Xq-B3HqU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1XxwuCDUrE8

thanks guys for the info i now have the confidence to go buy that motor.......

audio_uphoria
11-04-2008, 12:05 PM
Nice vids, good luck with the swap and document it, I wanna see how it goes. I'm probably going to do a swap in the near future

jt600gsxr
11-08-2008, 04:56 PM
thanks to you guys, i got the confidence to buy the motor. it was the best idea ever for me to come to this site as now i have a 61k mile motor out of an 03 which yesterday the dealer called me and told me it wouldnt work.......hugh strange??????? but it was to late already had it in the car and everything. ive got tons of pictures from start to finish so im going to work on a how to....thanks thanks thanks

pic gg2 old motor
pic gg1 new motor
pic gg3 me and my friend after we got it started...................

Stewi
11-10-2008, 12:38 AM
Nice, glad you got it to work.