PDA

View Full Version : Help please!!!!! Car won't Idle

ronin21
01-25-2003, 01:32 PM
Just out of the blue my car will not idle at all. it runs fine as long as you are giving it gas no skipping or anything like that, but as soon as you let off the gas for any amount of time the car will cut off moving or not. Please if any one has any insight I will be very thankful.

clone2020
01-25-2003, 01:50 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ronin21)</div><div class='quotemain'>Just out of the blue my car will not idle at all. it runs fine as long as you are giving it gas no skipping or anything Â*like that, but as soon as you let off the gas for any amount of time the car will cut off moving or not. Please if any one has any insight I will be very thankful.</div>

A friend had the same problem a couple days ago and the mitsu dealer said they replaced the fuel pump.

Also, check all the normal stuff like the air filter, throttle body, etc...

-Mike.

manybrews
01-25-2003, 01:56 PM
clean the throttle body.

ronin21
01-25-2003, 02:01 PM
checking the intake now. will clean the throttle body next hopefully I won't have to replace the fuel pump

peanotation
01-25-2003, 02:16 PM
it's definatly ur idle speed/idle RPM. check the throttle body big time to make sure the car is idling fine. u might have to adjust the idle speed. i'm almost certain this is hte problem, it happened to me a while ago and i fixed it by opening the throttle a little bit at idle.

manybrews
01-25-2003, 02:46 PM
DONT adjust anything. all youll do is screw it up.

if its not idling properly, you have two issues.
1)something is broken
2)you have a dirty throttle plate / body.

thats it.
trust me when i say do NOT alter any single throttle adjustment.

ronin21
01-25-2003, 03:19 PM
it fine now although I'm not sure why because we really didn't do anything special just cleaned and checked everything and thats pretty much it. stay tuned....

ronin21
01-25-2003, 08:17 PM
I lied... after a few hours of driving the same shit started happening again not as often though now it's only when the car is idle. could it be an ignition problem? I don't know I just want it fixed because it's pretty damn annoying!!!!!

BlueESV6
01-26-2003, 09:37 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(manybrews)</div><div class='quotemain'>clean the throttle body.</div>

ditto...

fixed my problem!! https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif

ronin21
01-26-2003, 10:14 AM
already tried that and it seemed to work a little but did not solve the problem

BlueESV6
01-27-2003, 01:51 PM
I'm not an idle expert but manybrews and others have stated the car should idle on it's own... there is nothing to adjust. If it's not idling and the cleaning the TB did not fix it then it's time to take it in to the shop....

manybrews
01-27-2003, 05:53 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(BlueESV6)</div><div class='quotemain'>I'm not an idle expert but manybrews and others have stated the car should idle on it's own... there is nothing to adjust. If it's not idling and the cleaning the TB did not fix it then it's time to take it in to the shop....</div>
yep.

SuperchargedGTZ
01-30-2003, 07:28 AM
take it to the shop....but i had the same problem last week, and my problem was there was a seal at the bottom of the TB pushed out. it has one brass screw holding it in. no one know what i am talking about but it is there. turn the car on when it is cold and the rpm should stay up for a second and listen to the the TB. if there is a sucking noise look for loose vacuum lines or any other leaks.

ronin21
05-07-2003, 06:13 PM
here is whats going on (I know I'm bringing this back from past but it is still not solved) the car idles now but it will not idle when the air is on, or when any kind of defrost is on. whether you are just using the fan to defrost or the air conditioner to defrost. is there some kind of silinoid or something that shares the air and idler or something I don't know. anybody eles made this connection?

slim_vela
05-11-2003, 10:44 PM
iac is out of adjustment, you have to use the MUT-II to reset the base
idle adjustment/iac stepper motor. only the dealer has the Multi Unit Tester - II hand held computer to do this adjustment. and no the snap-on advantage nor the mac mentor can do this. if you do this on your own without monitoring the idle air control motor, 90% chance it will not set to within spec and it should be done anytime the t-body is cleaned.