PDA

View Full Version : Are racing harnesses street legal?

graphitegalant
01-25-2003, 02:25 PM
I was just wondering if anyone knew if racing harnesses were legal or not. I live in ohio and I was just curious if people knew the law in their own states to help me in deciding whether to get them or not. Thanks!

manybrews
01-25-2003, 02:47 PM
yeah, im pretty sure they are.

theyre coming standard on the new Evo 8, so unless they need DOT approval, im pretty sure they would be fine.

MidNightRacing
01-25-2003, 06:43 PM
Who cares whats legal or not do what you want. Payoff the inepection station station if you have to thats what i Say. If its illegal where you at tint your windows the darkest shade so no one can see. Just do anything it your car!

pinoyesv6
01-25-2003, 07:08 PM
the harnesses have to be approved. they also have to be secured correctly. but yea some jurisdictions are stricter than others so check the law b4 u do anything

manybrews
01-25-2003, 09:31 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(MidnightES)</div><div class='quotemain'>Who cares whats legal or not do what you want. Payoff the inepection station station if you have to thats what i Say. If its illegal where you at tint your windows the darkest shade so no one can see. Just do anything it your car!</div>
not really the best advice ever given.

HeadAche
01-25-2003, 09:50 PM
I would not see why, i think a racing harness is way better support than the regular seat belts.. I have 2 Sparco Tourino's in my with the sparco harness, never got pulled for those... But this is Florida, and damn near everything out here is legal, well kinda because cops dont really care 2 much, unless ur doing something completely stupid..

MidNightRacing
01-26-2003, 12:39 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(manybrews)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(MidnightES)</div><div class='quotemain'>Who cares whats legal or not do what you want. Payoff the inepection station station if you have to thats what i Say. If its illegal where you at tint your windows the darkest shade so no one can see. Just do anything it your car!</div>
not really the best advice ever given.</div>

And why not?

Kain
01-26-2003, 12:57 PM
'course they're legal. Assuming they're properly installed. If you live in a state that has safety inspections, you might wanna check it out first. Since there's no guarantee the average person knows how to properly install a racing harness, they might not like 'em. I'd say look up any local ordinances before putting them in though.

manybrews
01-26-2003, 01:32 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(MidnightES)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(manybrews)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(MidnightES)</div><div class='quotemain'>Who cares whats legal or not do what you want. Payoff the inepection station station if you have to thats what i Say. If its illegal where you at tint your windows the darkest shade so no one can see. Just do anything it your car!</div>
not really the best advice ever given.</div>

And why not?</div>

because its really rather dumb to advise someone to break the law for the sake of breaking the law.

graphitegalant
01-26-2003, 11:16 PM
I have to be careful around where i live considering just last night i was asked to get out of my car (three police cars there also) and told everything that was illegal about my car. I try to check what level of legallity or illegallity of everything i put in my car, because it is not worth getting pulled over every day of the week in my opinion!

jluv97
01-27-2003, 09:18 AM
When properly installed harnesses are legal. In fact, they are looked upon as an added safety feature. Making a harness illegal would be about as pointless as making side airbags illegal.

pinoyesv6
01-27-2003, 09:25 AM
I have to be careful around where i live considering just last night i was asked to get out of my car (three police cars there also) and told everything that was illegal about my car. I try to check what level of legallity or illegallity of everything i put in my car, because it is not worth getting pulled over every day of the week in my opinion!

when doing that, make sure to get it on paper. like on an official document. if u visit the dmv or the police station, they may have a handbook that says whats legal or not. try to get a copy or if u can't make a photocopy from the book, including the books publish date etc etc info and the page number. its one thing to have something legal, but its another if i cop says its illegal. usually a cop would just let u go if u prove to him its legal but if u can't u could get that fix it ticket or something for something that was legal

2True
01-27-2003, 09:26 AM
I've read that 5-point harnesses will bust your insides apart if not worn securely. The big metal buckel in the front can kill you.

It would be a pain in the ass to buckel all that shit everyday and be so strapped to the seat that you can't even move... IMO

pinoyesv6
01-27-2003, 09:32 AM
It would be a pain in the ass to buckel all that shit everyday and be so strapped to the seat that you can't even move... IMO

this is where a much mroe harder question appears. do i put 2 harnesses so both people can wear em, or do i just put 1 for the drivers so my passenger can sit confortably. gotta please them ladies...

Nick VR4
01-27-2003, 10:41 AM

this is where a much mroe harder question appears. do i put 2 harnesses so both people can wear em, or do i just put 1 for the drivers so my passenger can sit confortably. gotta please them ladies...

Thats a good point
PLUS people in back seat might get a bit pissed off
Not very lady like to be honest strapping her in LOL
she wouldnt be able to run though LOL jk

http://bowditch.mit.edu/~curran/cars/corvair/images/seatbelt1.jpg

http://www.teamtechmotorsports.com/pics/incar.jpg

jluv97
01-27-2003, 11:28 AM
Harnesses make drive thrus a nightmare.

graphitegalant
01-27-2003, 01:24 PM
Thank you all for your insight. You all have helped me out a lot. Peace!

HeadAche
01-27-2003, 01:34 PM

Well for me anywayz a lot of girls like sitting the Sparco seats, w/the harness a lot of them think its really cool, to get out my car and see all the guyz faces looking at them getting out of this 8g.. Hell my girl she was the one who bought the seats with the harnesses, her 240sx has the Siliva JDM seats with the harnesses on those..The only good thing about the whole thing, is that my insurance went down, beside they deem it as another safety feature..

MidNightRacing
01-27-2003, 02:08 PM
Who cares whats legal or not do what you want. Payoff the inepection station station if you have to thats what i Say. If its illegal where you at tint your windows the darkest shade so no one can see. Just do anything it your car!
not really the best advice ever given.

And why not?

because its really rather dumb to advise someone to break the law for the sake of breaking the law.
Im not telling him to break the law just to break the law. Im telling him if he wants to put something on his car either for performance or looks do it. You'll like your car more, your car will have more appeal, and more hp. And you want to bend what you like just because its illegal? Well I say NO!!!!!!!!!!

manybrews
01-27-2003, 05:55 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(MidnightES)</div><div class='quotemain'>Im not telling him to break the law just to break the law. Im telling him if he wants to put something on his car either for performance or looks do it. You'll like your car more, your car will have more appeal, and more hp. And you want to bend what you like just because its illegal? Well I say NO!!!!!!!!!!</div>
so, then, if i like raping women and killing tourists, its okay?

see my point? just 'cause its something he likes doesnt give him the right to break the law.

MidNightRacing
01-28-2003, 12:11 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(manybrews)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(MidnightES)</div><div class='quotemain'>Im not telling him to break the law just to break the law. Im telling him if he wants to put something on his car either for performance or looks do it. You'll like your car more, your car will have more appeal, and more hp. And you want to bend what you like just because its illegal? Well I say NO!!!!!!!!!!</div>

see my point? just 'cause its something he likes doesnt give him the right to break the law.</div>
well how does uping your HP and looks harm like killing and raping?

pinoyesv6
01-28-2003, 12:24 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(MidnightES)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(manybrews)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(MidnightES)</div><div class='quotemain'>Im not telling him to break the law just to break the law. Im telling him if he wants to put something on his car either for performance or looks do it. You'll like your car more, your car will have more appeal, and more hp. And you want to bend what you like just because its illegal? Well I say NO!!!!!!!!!!</div>

see my point? just 'cause its something he likes doesnt give him the right to break the law.</div>
well how does uping your HP and looks harm like killing and raping?</div>

there's a reason laws are put in place. like with the harness. with an inferior or a badly mounted harness, get in an accident, fly thru the widnshield, ur killed. remove the main cat from ur car, up ur exhaust emmissions, bam, ur harming the children and the future of having clean air in the future. take out the airbag, get in an accident, slam your face into the steering wheel instead of an airbag. if u think about it, its kinda the same...

another example. sum1 goes up to ur ride and steals ur nice aftermarket rims or ur body kit. would u get mad? is it ok for him to break the law? he just wants to up the looks on his car...

manybrews
01-28-2003, 05:44 PM
my point was that some things are illegal. just because you dont agree with it or like it does NOT give someone the right to break them.

if you wish to make something that is illegal legal, do it the right way... go to your city/state governments... petition..etc.etc.

the whole "fuck the police" attitude makes me ill sometimes. Yes, there are many silly laws on the books that need to be changed, but until they are we should try to behave like adults, instead of spoiled children.
If he breaks the law, he should be prepared to suffer the consequences. If the consequences are small, its his choice as to wether or not he wishes to risk it.

anyway, the fact is that 5 point harnesses themselves arent legal or illegal. Altering the factory harness is illegal, though, and you will probably need to check on your local regulations as to who could install the harnesses for you.

MidNightRacing
01-29-2003, 02:18 PM
Altering your in take is illegal lowering your car is illegal on a road driven car. If the person steals it of a ricer more power to em!!!

pinoyesv6
01-29-2003, 02:21 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(MidnightES)</div><div class='quotemain'>Altering your in take is illegal lowering your car is illegal on a road driven car. If the person steals it of a ricer more power to em!!!</div>

actually some modification of ur car is legal. thanks to people like SEMA, people can use aftermarket products on their cars. but yea most of the time, there are standards, like how low your lights have to be when u lower ur car, or the intake has to have a CARB sticker or something.

MidNightRacing
01-29-2003, 02:34 PM
4 real man we need to stop it. We takin up room in graphitegalant post and it aint even helpin him. so on a last ponit u do wha u do n ill do what i do.

jamario
01-20-2010, 08:27 AM
How do i hook up a 4 point harness 8g

WhiteGalant
01-20-2010, 08:41 AM
You just brought back a 7 year old thread... lol

tylertor28
04-13-2010, 12:49 PM
why in the hell would something that makes you safer then a regular one be illegal

skrap
04-13-2010, 01:19 PM
Actually in some states it is illegal....

xd_01
04-13-2010, 02:52 PM
its actually the OPPOSITE of safe. a race harness is one piece to a complete safety system, it goes as follows: helmet, roll cage or roll bar, 5 point harness, proper racing seats with pass throughs for both shoulder belts and crotch belt. missing any of those could be fatal in a rollover especially at high speed.

running just a harness in a roll over could possibly collapse the roof on your head, same roll over with an oem belt will allow your body to slide down avoiding the roof where as a harness will keep you in your seat and as i said before, possibly crush your head. its up to you though people do it all the time but theres a risk involved.

if anyone is set on doing it atleast run a harness bar because the angles of the shoulder belts play a big roll, if there more then 20 degrees the belts could crush your spine in an accident. sometimes i see people mounting them to the rear seat belt mounting locations, the may be a lil to much.

eclipsh
04-21-2010, 12:06 PM
xd_01 is absolutely right. A 4 or 5 point harness should never be run in a street car without a cage and proper mounting. If you want to stay planted in your seat better buy better seats :)

Boosted
04-21-2010, 12:11 PM
xd_01 is absolutely right. A 4 or 5 point harness should never be run in a street car without a cage and proper mounting. If you want to stay planted in your seat better buy better seats :)

A safety harness can be safer is used properly and setup correctly. They are IMO better than your standard seatbelt. If you want to use them for everyday driving just for styling purposes than fine. But, I have to agree with this guy that without the other safety features installed such as a roll cage and use of a helmet, keep off the track.

hk20000
05-02-2010, 01:26 PM
It's legal to HAVE them but it's not legal to use them on public roads in many states.

That should sum up the answer yes?