PDA

View Full Version : Problem... happened when installing guages

Niytrus
01-25-2003, 06:47 PM
I tried to install some gauges today, anyways, something went wrong. when i turn the car lights on, or put it in accessory, a fuseable link in the engine fuse box starts to make noise... kind of an ' eeeeeeeeee ' type thing. anyways, when you remove it, or have the car started, the problem goes away. i tried putting it all back together originally, still the same. i cut 2 wires from the dimmer, the green and black, to install the gauges, but put them back originally and still have the same problem. Im guessing it must be something to do with the electrical. also, i checked the fuses, all still appear to be good. the fuseable link looks in good shape, not melted or anything.

PLEASE HELP IF POSSIBLE. thanks :cry:

**UPDATE**

Ok, I obviously just have a mixed wire somewhere, or some blown fuses. Heres the problem. The gauges are lit, and everything on the cluster works, except the cruise control and the odometer. The are on when the lights should be off, then when I turn the lights on the shut off. Also - when the lights are on, the climate control doesnt light up, nor does the shift knob gears. Also, if I have the lights on with the car running, then as soon as i turn it off, the gauge lights turn off also. So obviously I have something mixed here or there, but I dont understand how this could of happen, because all I did was cut TWO wires that were from the dimmer .

pinoyesv6
01-25-2003, 06:53 PM
check your connections. if ur causing a short u might hear the current chattering. uhm check ur ballast. the ballast makes noise too...

Niytrus
01-25-2003, 06:55 PM
all the connections look good.. and the ballast seems to be making no noise. this even happens when i dont have the ballast hooked up.

pinoy- please respond to AIM if you get a chance, thanks

NRG
01-25-2003, 07:05 PM
I think its normal for your electrical relay to hiss when you draw more current from it because when I did my gauges, I heard the same thing but everything is still fine........

Niytrus
01-25-2003, 07:06 PM
Its pretty loud... i can hear it when im sitting in the car. does not sound good at all

pinoyesv6
01-25-2003, 07:09 PM
yea its that luod. but should go away after a few seconds

Niytrus
01-25-2003, 07:12 PM
ive left it on for about 15 seconds, havnt let it go for more than that because i was affraid it would burn up or something. but it didnt stop after 15 seconds

should i wait longer?

NRG
01-25-2003, 07:25 PM
Yeah, like Pinoy said, it should go off in couple secs.........

NRG
01-25-2003, 07:26 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(spy)</div><div class='quotemain'>ive left it on for about 15 seconds, havnt let it go for more than that because i was affraid it would burn up or something. Â*but it didnt stop after 15 seconds

should i wait longer?</div>

Well, are the gauges even lit? If not, obviously you didn't tap from the right source......

Niytrus
01-25-2003, 08:22 PM
**UPDATE**

Ok, I obviously just have a mixed wire somewhere, or some blown fuses. Heres the problem. The gauges are lit, and everything on the cluster works, except the cruise control and the odometer. The are on when the lights should be off, then when I turn the lights on the shut off. Also - when the lights are on, the climate control doesnt light up, nor does the shift knob gears. Also, if I have the lights on with the car running, then as soon as i turn it off, the gauge lights turn off also. So obviously I have something mixed here or there, but I dont understand how this could of happen, because all I did was cut TWO wires that were from the dimmer :?

I really have no idea what could be the problem.

NRG
01-25-2003, 08:38 PM
No, it makes perfect sense because all your lighting inside your cabin like the AC controls, shifter lights, hazard lights, door panel lights are all tied in with the dimmer.....If the dimmer is not plugged in, none of the lights would work. So it could be that you tapped the wrong wire or the two wires you cut touches......You have used Tapp in connectors so you wouldn't have to cut anything.......

Niytrus
01-25-2003, 08:52 PM
ok well that explains it. Any suggestions what I do now NRG?

Danger DANJ
01-25-2003, 09:58 PM
Why did you cut any wires? You should have done it with wire taps. Click here ('https://thegalantcenter2.com/tutorials/gauges/how_to.htm').

How did you splice in the gauge wires?

BlueESV6
01-26-2003, 09:34 AM
Like the others have said... you need to have your dimmer control connected. You don't "cut" the wires you "splice" into them. You need to make sure the reconnections to the dimmer are good and then splice the EL guages into them. That should be the problem. Follow the tutorial and you be fine...

My guages make the "eeeeee..." noise only on certain colors and intensities (like bright blue).....

Niytrus
01-26-2003, 11:30 AM
Ok - I will get the Tap-In squeeze connectors as soon as I can.

***But does this explain why the fuseable link in the engine is making noise? It is extremely loud, and only happens when the engine in NOT running... thanks for all the help guys.

As for what I did, I made a *clean* cut on the green and black wire, then connected those the the red/black wires from the gauges. I did not reattach those the the dimmer control. Guess I should of just got the connectors first... would of saved alot of time.

Niytrus
01-26-2003, 12:12 PM
Ok - so since I did cut the wires... do you all still think that I should get the tap-connectors and just reattach what I had cut? Let me know, thanks

Khopari
01-26-2003, 05:16 PM
yea get the tap in connector its much secure safe... and it looks more professional https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif

pinoyesv6
01-27-2003, 12:00 AM
make sure ur guages are plugged back in. u know in the back of the guages. make sure u put them in the right way and that they are in all the way.

MidNightRacing
01-28-2003, 04:08 PM
Thats an odd problem you got there!!! im just looking around for the fist time here. Im from the 7g forums.

pinoyesv6
01-28-2003, 08:01 PM
you don't need the tap in connectors. since the ends are already soldered, if u cut them, just twist them tight, stick them in the same hole the wires go in. just like the wires and attach them on with some zip ties or some tape. its not gonna move. should work too. no damage done period...

Niytrus
01-28-2003, 08:34 PM
Problem solved a day ago - thanks for all the help offered. I actually have NO idea what the problem was... just stopped all of a sudden. But the problem does start again when i turn the dimmer all the way down, so its just not getting enough power or something. But it works fine now, and the gauges look great https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif

escobar
01-28-2003, 09:55 PM
I need help in matching all my lights (superwhite)

The headlights corner lights and the fog lights

aiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight

pinoyesv6
01-28-2003, 10:03 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(escobar)</div><div class='quotemain'>I need help in matching all my lights (superwhite)

The headlights corner lights and the fog lights Â*

aiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight</div>

try a search or making up your own post. all u have done is flood different threads saying the same thing. its off topic too. i know u are new but its really annoying me.

GALANT_CBR
06-21-2010, 06:06 PM
My car started making that same noise after my alarm was installed, Eight years later my galant runs fine and still makes the noise when my lights are on with the car off.

Sphinx
06-21-2010, 09:13 PM
Holy thread-resurrection Batman!!!