PDA

View Full Version : Auto to Manual swap

seth98esT
01-26-2003, 01:22 AM
Ok guys I really wanna do this swap...but, how much is it going to cost me? Will a 2g eclipse 5spd bolt up to my 4g64? Or should I just get a regular galant 5spd and bullet proof it? I need some info, I want to attempt this project this summer! TIA

JiP
01-26-2003, 01:54 AM
Reaallly want to do this one also...However from the research Ive done, its possible but a major MAJOR pain in the ass. And set you back quit a bit cash wise.

Check this site out:

http://www.ecanfix.com/~mdhamilton/autotomanual.html ('http://www.ecanfix.com/~mdhamilton/autotomanual.html')

manybrews
01-26-2003, 09:41 AM
its really a pain in the ass.
theres a lot more to it than just "bolting in a trans".

seth98esT
01-26-2003, 12:33 PM
i know theres a lot more than just bolting up the tranny...will a 2g eclipse 5spd fit? if it would, it probably would be a lot easier to find a used 2g 5spd rather than a used galant 5spd tranny...

Kain
01-26-2003, 01:10 PM
Well, it's really not all that bad, but removal/instalation of a FWD transmission is a pain in itself. Other than that, it's really just a matter of swapping out the brake pedal for the brake/clutch pedal assembly from a 5 spd Eclipse/Galant, Putting in the clutch master cylinder, shifter and cables, and putting it all back together again. I looked into this, but I realized that for nearly the cost to do it right, I could buy an entire '96 Galant S 5 spd and have two cars. So, I'd say it's really not worth it unless you're gonna be taking the engine/transmission out of the car anyway for some other reason. It could be done in half a day if you had all the equipment and materials you needed at a cost between $900 for a bare-bones job, to in excess of $2500 for new everything, LSD, ACT clutch, and short throw shifter.

JiP
01-26-2003, 01:59 PM
Assuming you junkyard parts for mastercyl, pedal, shift assembly and lines...That shouldnt set you back to far, the major cost is trany and clutch. I am a poor man, i would pick up a junkyard tranny from a low mileage car and probably buy a new clutch. I *think* you could still keep costs less then a grand.

But its defintly gonna be a bitch to install. Are the mouting holes etc there for clutch master cyl and clutch/brake pedal assembly? If you pull the engine out of the car this whole thing would be much easier. But that in itself is a lot of work lol https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif

Dark Anghell
01-26-2003, 04:25 PM
I know that it's possible, ad doable. One of the galants***d.com members have done the swap. It set him back about 400 dollars in parts plus about 400 for tranny. Most of the holes are marked on the firewall and have to be ither drilled out or punched out. After that it's the matter of bleeding the clutch lines, and hooking up the shift linkage.

It is pretty hard to pull the tranny out. But if you are doing 4g63 swap it would be very easy because there will be so much room for you to work with.

It's not such a hard thing to do. You are basically pulling things out instead of putting things in. There are no harnesses you have to deal with unlike AT trannies. From what my friends told me it's much easier to convert a car to a manual instead of manual to automatic.