PDA

View Full Version : Timing Advance ?

evil-G-nius
01-26-2003, 08:49 PM
I know this has been addressed before, but I never payed attention to it because I had no intensions of doing this. I want to know how it is done and if there is a tutorial on it. I had my new engine put in and my guy said he was goin to advance my timing, but the distributor did not move. Now he thought maybe it was damaged from my last engine, but when he put it on the old block it didnt move then either. So my question is, what is needed or how do you advance it. The distributor does not move, so is there another way to advance it? My car is 2 degrees retarded, which is within the factory limit of -3 to +3 degrees of 5. Any insight would be great!

manybrews
01-26-2003, 10:18 PM
cant be done without either
1)changing the cam timing, which is a very dumb idea, or
2)physically cutting pieces out of the distributor.

personally, id leave it. its exactly where its suppost to be.

2True
01-26-2003, 10:28 PM
I second that, I bought an AEM gear a few months ago. Slapped that sucker on and advanced only 1 degree.... the car ran like crap till I reversed it back to stock.

You need the cam, valve springs, and pistons to really complete the advance timing process, whick I'm currently workin on.. $$$

evil-G-nius
01-27-2003, 08:34 PM
well he said that the stock timing can be adjusted + or - 3 degrees without any major work. No new cam gears, no new springs etc. He says that normally you can rotate the distributor and advance or retard the timing. I want a little more power so I want this done. He is credible too by the way, he has a Starion turbo that runs 10's so he knows mitsu engines. He did all the work himself.

manybrews
01-27-2003, 11:20 PM
it depends on the year. starting in 97, the distributor was NOT adjustable at all. no slots were cut into it, as mitsu doesnt want or need people screwing it up.

evil-G-nius
01-28-2003, 07:10 PM
Well I have a 96 so... Are those adjustable? I really dont want my car to be...uh...retarded :laughing:

g96nt
01-28-2003, 07:48 PM
yeah, on the side Of the distributor, there Are 2 10mm? nuts

un-screw, and twist the distributor torwards the radiator.

(it's been a while since I adjusted galant TIming, but I'm Fairly certain the galant bumps the distributor 8-degrees From base)

manybrews Will probably be Able to answer before I get my manual.

and.. don't try this Without a timing Gun And or grounding the timing-adjustment plug.

manybrews
01-28-2003, 08:27 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(g96nt)</div><div class='quotemain'>yeah, on the side Of the distributor, there Are 2 10mm? nuts

un-screw, and twist the distributor torwards the radiator.

(it's been a while since I adjusted galant TIming, but I'm Fairly certain the galant bumps the distributor 8-degrees From base)

manybrews Will probably be Able to answer before I get my manual.

and.. don't try this Without a timing Gun And or grounding the timing-adjustment plug.</div>
as i said, you cannot adjust the 97 and later, as there are no slots cut into the distributor.

evil-G-nius
02-14-2003, 11:28 PM
thats ok, i have a 96. So is it possible or not?

manybrews
02-14-2003, 11:55 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(evil-G-nious (aka Kimya))</div><div class='quotemain'>thats ok, i have a 96. So is it possible or not?</div>

dont think so.

94 and 95 for sure ARE adjustable, but i think in 96 they were not anymore.

regardless, even if it is, do NOT change it. if its within spec, you gain nothing at all from tweaking it.

HiperSilver
02-19-2003, 05:59 PM
dont mess with timing, you could risk detonation and engine damage for a increase of 1-2 horsepower

IllestGalant
02-19-2003, 09:33 PM
thank you :wink:

evil-G-nius
02-19-2003, 09:39 PM
oh come on you guys just know how to ruin a guys fun! you suck! https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif Anyway I just thought it might help me a little bit because my car is on the lower side of things thats all. Looks like I gotta get that damn supercharger now! https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif

IllestGalant
02-19-2003, 09:42 PM
lol

g96nt
02-24-2003, 10:40 AM
96 distributors Are in-fact Adjustable

but.. don't adjust past 5-degrees unless you think you can Commit to using 91+ gass EVERY time you fill up

evil-G-nius
02-27-2003, 11:38 PM
since it is adjustable, could you tell me how its done? Just incase I decide to have it done I need to tell my guy the steps. He said he heard of it being done and theat you just turn the distributor. The only problem is he said mine wouldnt move, so if it is something else to do please let me know.

JiP
02-28-2003, 12:05 AM
The distributer has 2 bolts that mount it to the engine on each side, just loosen em and rotate, tighten back down when you have it set. If you look at those bolts there should be slots in the mounting flange if not then maybe its possible you have changed distributers or a past owner has and used the distributer from a 97+ which are NOT adjustable.