PDA

View Full Version : negative camber FTW

spdracr
11-17-2008, 06:15 PM
so today i had a crazy air leak in my tire and i didnt give much attention since i thought it was just a nail in my tire or just leaking for some stupid reason so i went and i got air in it, later throughout the day i noticed it was almost down to the ground so i went to get air in it and as im filling it with air i heard it leak and here it what i saw

http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee131/spdracr83/Negative%20Camber/020.jpg
http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee131/spdracr83/Negative%20Camber/021.jpg
http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee131/spdracr83/Negative%20Camber/022.jpg
http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee131/spdracr83/Negative%20Camber/023.jpg

greddy
11-17-2008, 06:21 PM
Damn!

IceDouTGaLanT
11-17-2008, 06:33 PM
you knows funny, i notice my rear tire was low today also and i know i filled it up 2 weeks ago. I got to check mine as well, im broke too so if thats the case here come the hubcaps! I had some worn but 30% 18" tires which i just threw out last month in the trash you coulda had em for free.

njjfudge
11-17-2008, 06:33 PM
Sir you need to pay more attention to your tires!

Reelax
11-17-2008, 06:41 PM
this is why i corrected my negative camber... i was going through 18" tires on my old setup like every 6 months. i probably spent more than $4000 in tires before i got the rear camber fixed (when i stepped up to 19's and coilovers). since i upgraded, i've only had 2 sets of 19" tires and my current set has lasted almost 2 years... which is good because 19" tires cost about $1000 per set compared to $700 for 18's.

mko
11-17-2008, 06:57 PM
so today i had a crazy air leak in my tire and i didnt give much attention since i thought it was just a nail in my tire or just leaking for some stupid reason so i went and i got air in it, later throughout the day i noticed it was almost down to the ground so i went to get air in it and as im filling it with air i heard it leak and here it what i saw

Bro, I think Ive seen your coilovers having camber adjustment. you should check this out first.

9G
11-17-2008, 06:59 PM
how can you not smell the rubber burning?

spdracr
11-17-2008, 06:59 PM
you knows funny, i notice my rear tire was low today also and i know i filled it up 2 weeks ago. I got to check mine as well, im broke too so if thats the case here come the hubcaps! I had some worn but 30% 18" tires which i just threw out last month in the trash you coulda had em for free.

my eclipse rims are 17s so your tires wouldnt help me

Sir you need to pay more attention to your tires!

the other side is fine still and since as most of you know the G isnt my daily i didnt care much for the negative camber since i drove it once a week for 50 - 100 miles and when it rained i didnt drive it but since my daily broke down the G has been my daily and i drove 11k-12k on the negative camber and those tires only had half life on them as well

this is why i corrected my negative camber... i was going through 18" tires on my old setup like every 6 months. i probably spent more than $4000 in tires before i got the rear camber fixed (when i stepped up to 19's and coilovers). since i upgraded, i've only had 2 sets of 19" tires and my current set has lasted almost 2 years... which is good because 19" tires cost about $1000 per set compared to $700 for 18's.

i have coilovers so i will correct my camber by raising the rear up a bit

spdracr
11-17-2008, 07:01 PM
Bro, I think Ive seen your coilovers having camber adjustment. you should check this out first.

camber correction only on the front and this tire is the rear driver side

how can you not smell the rubber burning?

how can i smell it ?? i mean i dont go to my tires and sniff them every time i get out of my car

9G
11-17-2008, 07:03 PM
umm.. when i test fitted my 9g tires on my 8g, it was rubbing a bit and you can smell it inside especially when you go outside.

glantv699
11-17-2008, 07:04 PM
That's pretty crazy that you didn't notice such a heavily worn tire. But I guess your car was low enough to hide that from plain sight.

greddy
11-17-2008, 07:09 PM
I have a set of the same 3G wheels with 3 good tires that I can sell you pretty cheap if you want.

lonestar22
11-17-2008, 07:10 PM
thats not camber wear. thats wear from toe. u need to get your car aligned more often. camber would be more spread out than that. toe will do that to a car with 0 degrees of camber. get it aligned or your next set will look the same

spdracr
11-17-2008, 07:21 PM
umm.. when i test fitted my 9g tires on my 8g, it was rubbing a bit and you can smell it inside especially when you go outside.

im not rubbing anything, this is the rear wheel

thats not camber wear. thats wear from toe. u need to get your car aligned more often. camber would be more spread out than that. toe will do that to a car with 0 degrees of camber. get it aligned or your next set will look the same

so i guess i should my rear alignment checked ??

9G
11-17-2008, 07:37 PM
oh. my bad.

Reelax
11-17-2008, 07:43 PM
my eclipse rims are 17s so your tires wouldnt help me

the other side is fine still and since as most of you know the G isnt my daily i didnt care much for the negative camber since i drove it once a week for 50 - 100 miles and when it rained i didnt drive it but since my daily broke down the G has been my daily and i drove 11k-12k on the negative camber and those tires only had half life on them as well

i have coilovers so i will correct my camber by raising the rear up a bit

i have INGALLS camber kits as well. that way i can adjust camber independently of the vehicle height.

spdracr
11-17-2008, 07:45 PM
i have INGALLS camber kits as well. that way i can adjust camber independently of the vehicle height.

i thought about buying those but i really dont need them cuz i can live with the fact that i just need to raise my rear a bit and not have negative camber

polishmafia
11-17-2008, 07:49 PM

LOL. I seriously doubt his rear toe got that out of line.

This just serves as a warning to all Galant owners, to ALL car owners. Take 2 minutes once a week to inspect and inflate your tires. They are all that connect you and a 3000lb piece of metal to the ground.

Serstylz2
11-17-2008, 08:37 PM
I remember my rear tires looked like that.. rubber strips were flying off and wrapping around my suspension parts. Then i got the camber corrected.

RedGalant2k1
11-17-2008, 08:45 PM
camber correction only on the front and this tire is the rear driver side

how can i smell it ?? i mean i dont go to my tires and sniff them every time i get out of my car

You can still get some camber correction in the rear, its not as easy, but it is possible.

spdracr
11-17-2008, 08:55 PM
You can still get some camber correction in the rear, its not as easy, but it is possible.

as i have already mentioned i will just raise the rear up a bit and that should solve my problem

RedGalant2k1
11-17-2008, 08:56 PM
as i have already mentioned i will just raise the rear up a bit and that should solve my problem

Yea, should help, but for reference you do have limited camber correction ability in the rear.

VIPtint
11-17-2008, 09:58 PM
just do the spacer mod. thats TOE wear man not camber so get it aligned. you need to do all 4, you cant just do the rear

RedGalant2k1
11-17-2008, 10:18 PM
just do the spacer mod. thats TOE wear man not camber so get it aligned. you need to do all 4, you cant just do the rear

Toe doesn't change in the rear on our cars when lowered, only camber does. He will need to correct the camber in the rear. I'd guess he is probably sitting somewhere around 2.5 to 3 degrees of camber to wear the tires like that. Toe may indeed be out, but again, it DOES NOT change in the rear when lowering our cars. That is due to the rear 'strut' is actually a shock and has a stationary mounting position on the rear knuckle.

Putting a spacer in the rear doesn't accomplish anything to correct camber, or even toe wear issues. That must be corrected on the rear multi-link suspension through the lateral trailing (toe adjusting) arms. And the rear camber through the rear upper control arm.

4g63lover
11-17-2008, 10:22 PM
My Advans did that end of last summer and beginning of this summer that just went by. I autcrossed on them without knowing they were in that condition. I ended up replacing them with another pair of Advans I got for 10 bucks with about 6/32 left on them.

Ruslik
11-17-2008, 10:49 PM
damn man that blows
i got to check and rotate my tires went to a few shops but they couldn't do it bc it was too low =[
but hit up craigslist mayb u will find some there

lonestar22
11-17-2008, 11:15 PM
you would have to have ALOT of camber for it to be perfectly fine just outside the wear area like that. toe wears only the very inside of the tire just like seen in the picture. i should know i see it every single day. not to say that the camber is not an issue, since it is. anyway u should definantly get that thing on an alignment rack pronto

spdracr
11-17-2008, 11:50 PM
so how can i check the toe ?? what i understood is that the toe controlled by the lower control arm, right ?? please enlighten me

Ed
11-17-2008, 11:55 PM
Since we've all lowered our cars, we have all had inside tire wear.

RedGalant2k1
11-18-2008, 12:09 AM
so how can i check the toe ?? what i understood is that the toe controlled by the lower control arm, right ?? please enlighten me

You have to have the car put on a alignment rack and have it scanned or checked. Make sure you get a print out of the results so you can see exactly what the camber is at, what the factory range is, and what the rear toe is. It will also list the same specs in the front (camber and toe) and also include Caster, SAI, and Included Angle.

In any case as far as rear toe on our cars it is controlled by the rear multi link suspension. There is a pair of toe adjusting arms that connect to the lower portion of the rear knuckle. The upper control arm stays stationary and the shock also stays essentially stationary.

And 2-3 degrees of camber will absolutely wear tires like that, and in many cases that quickly also. All you have to do to know that the tire won't wear properly as a result of too much positive camber or too much negative camber is just look how it contacts the ground at rest. If the outside of the tire is not on the ground, its not wearing properly no matter if the toe spec is perfect or not.

mko
11-18-2008, 12:10 AM

You cant visually inspect for toe/unless you have tires like these/ - if you car goes straight w/o wobbling then toe is ok or little off. Ther are 3 lower control arms, and the one closest to the rear end is the toe arm. If you look at the nut which is on the rear crossmember, youll see degrees of adjustment. You basiclly turn the bolt to correct the toe and lock it with the nut, but thats a job for a shop. you cant do it yourself.

spdracr
11-18-2008, 12:17 AM
You cant visually inspect for toe/unless you have tires like these/ - if you car goes straight w/o wobbling then toe is ok or little off. Ther are 3 lower control arms, and the one closest to the rear end is the toe arm. If you look at the nut which is on the rear crossmember, youll see degrees of adjustment. You basiclly turn the bolt to correct the toe and lock it with the nut, but thats a job for a shop. you cant do it yourself.

wobbly, hmmm.... i have a wobbling steering wheel and i know my front suspension is F'ed up and im replacing either the hubs or the lower ball joints but i dont know anymore, i need to jack it up and inspect everything on the front and back