PDA

View Full Version : Need Opinions on ENGINE LIGHT

mitsu_vic
11-18-2008, 08:54 AM
For those who have not glanced over random thoughts thread, today is not such a great day....

Late last night my SES light came on, the car has been running fine and continues to do so. It has been 1K miles since I had the belts changed and throttle cleaned, all by a Mitsu dealer, not sure if something could be wrong with any of that. The sparks and plugs were all done a year ago by a local shop, no problems apparent after that. Nothing else done lately other than oil changes. All fluids are good. So now I wait for the local shop to get the G in on Thursday for a code reading, the Advanced Autos around here only sell the reader. The question being is Thrusday to far off for letting this go?

IceDouTGaLanT
11-18-2008, 09:02 AM
i had my light on for 1 week, but the again i only put 15 miles on her that whole week. why not buy the reader and return it the next day, say you found it cheeper online atleast you will know what the issue is. Also autozone checks it out for free

mitsu_vic
11-18-2008, 09:22 AM
Just found an Autozone across the river, I'll probably try that out at lunch.

RedGalant2k1
11-18-2008, 09:57 AM
You should be fine for two days. If the SES light was flashing that means a more major issues and imminent failure.

polishmafia
11-18-2008, 10:12 AM
I'm not saying its a good thing to wait, but sometimes, in general, a code can be set off on some cars when the gas cap isn't on tight enough or if the car randomly misfired once. If the car feels like its running ok, you should be alright waiting a day or so.

Some people come into my shop with a CEL and I ask them how long its been on. The most common response "I dunno... a long time."

mitsu_vic
11-18-2008, 10:35 AM
Not this chick, first thing checked was the gas cap, as for imminent failure please no jinxing yet...

QnzMostWanted
11-18-2008, 10:49 AM
lol, my SES light has been on for about a month now, i know what it is so i really dont care

acitydweller
11-18-2008, 10:53 AM
Good to have it checked out nonetheless. It may turn out to be a minor thing after all...

polishmafia
11-18-2008, 11:19 AM
lol, my SES light has been on for about a month now, i know what it is so i really dont care

P0420 - Driver of vehicle is probably high.

I wouldn't worry about that either. ;)

mitsu_vic
11-18-2008, 11:33 AM
It appears to be the EGR system, too little flow: probable causes blocked passage on EGR system, failed valve, and anything else with the system. So now I'll use the handy dandy search botton and look up the problem. My Monte Carlo had a vaulty EGR valve and thing would die all the time.

mitsu_vic
11-18-2008, 12:01 PM
After searching, I'm wondering if the vacuum sound the G has around 35-40 mph would be connected, the sound only occures between this speed and is not very loud, also could the throttle cleaning be connected in anyway? What is the next step for a blocked passage and if the valve is to blame is it difficult to change?

mitsu_vic
11-19-2008, 08:10 AM
Well today is a new day and no engine light....

QnzMostWanted
11-19-2008, 08:58 AM
P0420 - Driver of vehicle is probably high.

I wouldn't worry about that either. ;)

hahaha...funny thing is my code is P0420 lmao

polishmafia
11-19-2008, 09:33 AM
Well today is a new day and no engine light....

Did you (or someone) reset it?

polishmafia
11-19-2008, 09:33 AM
Haha Denver... see? I know all. :D