PDA

View Full Version : How to wire LED washer lights w/o tapping parking lights.

imgntht
08-18-2002, 07:41 PM
I asked this as a reply to someone elses topic, but figured it might be easier to just start my own thread, so here it goes....

I bought some LED washer nozzles and want to wire them to a switch so that they only go on when I want them on. I do NOT want them to be tied in with any other lights on the car (ie. parking lights, fogs, etc...) So I want to buy a toggle switch and just wire it to that and tap a power source.

Anybody know exactly how I should wire these things so that it works as desired? What kinda switch do I need? Anything else I will need to do the job? I already have crimpers, wire splicers, butt connectors, etc...

Thanks,

Jason S.
1997 Eclipse GS-T
2002 Galant GTZ

Tazz2000
08-18-2002, 10:17 PM
You'll have to run the wires from your power source, to the switch, then on to the lights. :thumbsup:

imgntht
08-19-2002, 04:38 PM
So if I understand right, the wires should be like this:

Ground wires from LEDs to chassis ground
Another ground wire from switch to chassis ground
Power lines from LEDs to the other side of the switch
Then tap power line from Cig lighter fuse also to positive side of switch

Is that correct? So power source plus positive wires of LEDs to one pole of the switch, and then just ground the other pole of the switch. And ground the negatives of the LEDs.

Thanks for all the help guys!!

RedGalant2k1
08-19-2002, 11:42 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(imgntht)</div><div class='quotemain'>So if I understand right, the wires should be like this:

Ground wires from LEDs to chassis ground
Another ground wire from switch to chassis ground
Power lines from LEDs to the other side of the switch
Then tap power line from Cig lighter fuse also to positive side of switch

Is that correct? Â*So power source plus positive wires of LEDs to one pole of the switch, and then just ground the other pole of the switch. Â*And ground the negatives of the LEDs. Â*

Thanks for all the help guys!!</div>

no, let me clear some things up before you install these.

You only need ONE ground wire. Remember IT DOESN'T GET INSTALLED on the switch, direct from the LEDs to the ground point which is pictured above.

However, *IF* you have a illuminated switch (It has 3 prongs) you will need a ground wire, and a accessory wire. I'd stay away from the illuminated ones for simplicity's sake. Just buy a simple two prong nonilluminated switch.

The power wire coming from the LEDs goes to the switch, then from the switch to the fuse.

imgntht
08-20-2002, 02:47 PM
Oh okay I think I get it now. One prong of the switch is the power coming in from the fuse, the other prong is the power out to the positives of the LEDs. Then I'm just grounding the LEDs, not the switch. This way when I throw the switch the power coming in is then trasferred to the LEDs and they turn on. When the switch is in the other position it blocks the flow of the current and no lights. Thanks. Sometimes the simple things get me all confused, especially when it comes to electricity. https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif

Jason