PDA

View Full Version : Hello from Dominican Republic/Rochester, NY!!!

Master Choco
11-20-2008, 11:03 AM
First of all let me say that I love this site...Its very well made and it looks great over all!!!

I've been shopping for a car for the past month and I decided to get an 8g after noticing the great jobs that all of the members here and/or car domain have done in their cars. I finally, bought my 2001 Black GTZ this past weekend. I got it cheap since the woman that sold it to me need money fast and since it has 150k miles on it. I had a small budget so, I don't I would've been able to buy one without compromise w/ its high mileage . :(

But I must say it, that I'm pretty excited that I finally have mine. I have many ideas for it, hopefully someday it will look as good/clean as some of the ones here!!! :)

I'm already looking for some stuff: 17'' rims 'cuz I'm afraid of damaging the 18'' ones easily, ventilated/slotted rotors and pads (are the ones that go for $200 approximately on eBay any good?), performance intake system even though I'm concern of it not being good for the engine due to the extremely cold weather in Rochester-NY(does it matter/would it make a good difference?), JDM black headlights like those on the pics, cheap but good tires for my 17'' rims or should I go with 18''(having a hard time making up my mind on this one), also looking for the cheapest/best looking/longer lasting aqua(the lighter blue) HID I can find (I see a lot of them on eBay, but don't know if they can be trusted...my friend bought a Xetronic 6000k KIT @ www.xtralights.com and they are seriously one of the best kits I've seen in my life, but for approximately $400 which I think is very expensive).

Before I do all that, I going to have the engine checked since its a little loud; I think it might be a loose manifold or a leaking exhaust and the A/C is making a rattling noise too even though it works fine. I made drove it from NYC to Rochester (approximately 360miles) with one tank of gas, so I’m hopping that when I fix the manifold/exhaust I will get a better mileage from it. I heard about the so called
‘TURBONATOR”, does that shit really increase your fuel economy and horse power?

I know that maybe all this that I'm asking here I can find it in one of the threads, I just haven't had the time to read them, so please don't think that I'm an ignorant and /or get snippy/mad at me!!!

Thanks for reading my extremely long and/or tale/concerns. Hope it wasn’t too boring for you!!! Sorry If it was, I just finished all the shit I had to do here at work and decided to take a little time to share my excitement!!! :D

audio_uphoria
11-20-2008, 11:07 AM
Welcome! Excelent choice on the 8g. I'm not familiar with the "turbonator" but I'm a firm beleiver that whatever gives you power should reduce your mpg lol. Just get a turbo.

audio_uphoria
11-20-2008, 11:11 AM
Haha, I just checked out this "turbonator" 35 bucks for that flimsy piece of scrap metal your supposed to put in your air intake hose? Haha They say UP TO 20hp and 33% fuel savings. If that were true dont you think everyone would be snatching these things up...

jessblazed
11-20-2008, 11:21 AM
welcome to TGC loco!

mrjaydeeone
11-20-2008, 12:06 PM
welcome to TGCNY

Galante
11-20-2008, 12:50 PM
Welcome!

skyhigh90210
11-20-2008, 01:12 PM
Welome!

Way Fast Galant
11-20-2008, 03:44 PM
Haha, I just checked out this "turbonator" 35 bucks for that flimsy piece of scrap metal your supposed to put in your air intake hose? Haha They say UP TO 20hp and 33% fuel savings. If that were true dont you think everyone would be snatching these things up...

welcome to TGC. i think i remember seeing somthing about those and other devices like it on mythbusters and they didnt work out well. so i would stay away from it, i would keep the 18's if i was you. the noise from the engine is probably an exhaust leak. and what kind of noise does your ac system make, a clicking noise every now and then is normal as thats the compressor clutch kicking on and off. but if its constant you may have a compressor that is on its way out

Jeffylou87
11-20-2008, 07:28 PM
Welcome!

Serstylz2
11-20-2008, 07:40 PM
ABOUT TIME I GET ANOTHER MEMBER FROM ROCHESTER!!!!!!!!! Yessss bossss

SkylineG1
11-20-2008, 10:52 PM
Welcome to TGC

Master Choco
11-21-2008, 10:28 AM
Thanks for the warm welcome everyone.

Hehehehe I knew that “turbonator” crap had to be whole bunch of crap specially because if it would’ve done what it claim it does, a lot of car manufacturers would’ve included them in their rides by now.

When it comes to my A/C, I believe its more the fan than the actual compressor kicking in, because it never seizes, its constant and it sounds like its scrapping something inside. Sometimes it rattles to like if it had little pebbles inside, t sounds more like a rat running through a plastic pipe. I’m afraid some screw might’ve become loose inside.

Regarding the engine it mos def is an exhaust leak. I’m going to have that check this weekend.

Putting that aside, I just bought the following 17’’ rims at ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=260318707368

Now I’m looking for tires and I was going to go with a 215/45/17 General Tire(GT) Altimax HP(Grand Touring All Season) I found at TireRack.com, because they are great tires according to the reviews I found there and because they are cheap…only $89/each.
I’m just concern with them being to thin on the sides.
I went into one of the forums by “RedGalant2K1” where he talks about tires for the 8G and he recommends the following three tire sizes for my wheel size, number one being the best fit:
1-225/45/17 (Recommended Upsize Fitment)
2-215/50/17
3-205/50/17

I would buy the 225/45/17, but the quality and/or specs of these size tires I found in tirerack.com, doesn’t come even close in quality or price of the GTs I want to buy. I found GTs in that size, but only for summer tires and I definitely need all-season tires, because it snow A LOT here in Rochester. So I looked at the 2nd option (215/50/17) and even though TireRack has all-season GTs in that size, I don’t know if it’s worth it for an additional US$18 (US$107) a peace and I’m concern with them being too thick/big on the sides; I want to find a happy medium. I don’t want to tires that are too thick and/or that look like that I have monster truck wheels on my car, and I don’t want tires that too thin thus causing me to have a huge gap if I don’t drop the car to the floor which by-the-way I can’t do, because streets here in NY suck-ass!!!

Should I buy the 215/45/17 GTs ($87/each)?
or
Should I get the 215/50/17 GTs for (US$107/each)?

Please Help me decide!!!

By the way, did you like the rims??? I love 5 spoke rims!!!!

Serstylz2
01-26-2009, 07:24 PM
u still be here Choco?