PDA

View Full Version : TB Mod.......

RydnClean
01-27-2003, 11:06 AM
i did this mod this morning and it only took about 2 minutes, i didnt overtighten it but when i start my car it idles at 2k and then drops to 1.5k RPM?? should i loosen it jus a tad? and is this mod safe and can it harm anything in the long run? thanks alot

jluv97
01-27-2003, 11:26 AM
where is the idle when you are in gear and warmed up...without the A/C or Defrost on?

pinoyesv6
01-27-2003, 12:18 PM
first of all, when u first start up the car, the car idles a lil bit higher than it would when it warms up. but yea if u wanna reset it, just loosen it all the way and look at the idle speed or even look up what speed ur car should be at. and set it there. there should be like a 1 or 2 mm slack to it. i usually do mine with the engine running and use the sound from the motor to determine how tight or loose to put it. but yea measuring the slack is the best way and is the way they use in the service manual.

JiP
01-27-2003, 12:37 PM
What is this throttle body mod that you speak of?

BLsGalant97
01-27-2003, 12:43 PM
What is this throttle body mod that you speak of?

Theres a tutorial in jluv97's webpage in his sig

jluv97
01-27-2003, 12:56 PM
http://www.angelfire.com/super2/jluv97/tutorials.htm ('http://www.angelfire.com/super2/jluv97/tutorials.htm')

I just can't wait till I get my internet back up at home...then I shall load my new site!

JiP
01-27-2003, 02:57 PM
O just tightening the cable been there done that, I thought it was a mod mod, like he ported it or something.

Thanks

and when I did it I had the car running, with a my handydandy datalogger hookd up so I can see the RPM so that I didnt over tighten it and pull the plate open and over rev at idle. Which is probably what you did, losen it up a bit.

Kain
01-27-2003, 03:50 PM
Actually...if anyone is intrested in a real Throttle Body mod, I know of a crazy easy one that takes about an hour and costs $50. Just bolt on a 1g Eclipse TB. You'll have to swap over your IAC, but otherwise straight bolt up. Go from 52 mm to 60 mm.

JiP
01-27-2003, 04:13 PM
Kain your on 4g64 group right?? Readmy posts...you CANT swap IAC's

The passeges are different, they bolt up indeed, but start your car, you'll pump antifreeze right into your intake. I already took them apart and I posted pics on on 4g64 group. I tried even filling in the passeges that dont match with RTV and then hooking it up, but the car idled at like 3000+ rpm, However now that I think abou it...maybe the 1g TB is a tad thicker, thus pulling on the TB cable, making the car idle the way RydnCleans is. Hmm.

But in either case, if you want the bigger TB your IAC are not directly swapable.

Kain
01-27-2003, 05:22 PM
:oops: oops... I was going off old info. Yeah. Hmm, I'll have to look into that... Oh well. At least you caught my error before someone tried it and found out the hard way.

JiP
01-29-2003, 02:33 PM
Must have posted this under like 3 differnt subject becuase it was spoken about under 3 different subjects i just want to make sure everyone reads it!

I got the IAC swap to work!! I have the 60mm tb on my galant rightnow, with the 4g64 IAC atatched to it. Takes a bit of creativity but it seems to work, car idles in Drive a tad higher then I would like, around 950, but I going to close the biss, althoguh there are only a few turns left till its shut, however, closing one of the IAC intake holes or partially closing would probably be a better starting point, lower idle, and use biss to adjust it back up to around 750.

Havnt acctually driven it yet as my upper radiator mod is leaking, so repairing that in the oven..dont ask, drive around tomorow let you know how it goes..

IllestGalant
01-29-2003, 04:01 PM
What is upper radiator mod?
Also I know a lot, i mean a lot of people who shave off some metal
from the throttle body, before the throttle plate to open up the throttle
body. There are many tutorials in gm high tech performance
magazine about doing this. It makes a huge difference.

JiP
01-29-2003, 04:37 PM
Anything about TB swap please post in the TB Swap topic so we all dont get confused, but shaving away before the plate isnt as big a gin as a bigger plate! https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif

Radiator hose mod: I have a temp gauge, and uh no place to put it, so i took a small diameter pipe, abour 3" long, cut a hole in the top, welded on a nut, and have the gauge sensor screwed into that, took my upper radiator hose very close to th engine side, and cut it, and put the pipe inbetween. Just gives me a place to put the sensor I couldnt find anyplace else.

IllestGalant
01-29-2003, 09:06 PM
but doesn't your car already have engine coolant temperature?

pinoyesv6
01-29-2003, 09:13 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(IllestGalant)</div><div class='quotemain'>but doesn't your car already have engine coolant temperature?</div>

that temperature guage that comes with ur car just plain sux. only tells u if ur hot cold or warm. doesn't tell u how much though

JiP
01-29-2003, 09:49 PM
omg dude seriosuly. When your temp gauge says its in the middle and warmed up...my aftermarket temp gauge needle hasnt even begun to move yet. Did you know your ECU doesnt even use the same sensor that your guage does?? On your water neck is 2 seperate water termperature sensors, one for ur gauge wich is pooP and one that the ECU uses which is more precise. Aftermarket everything is the way to go https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif

Specially when you plan to go turbo and mod out ur ass like I do.