PDA

View Full Version : ABS DOES SAVE LIVES!

GalantGirl
08-18-2002, 08:51 PM
I posted a topic down below called WONDERING???? Someone made a comment that really upset me. Maybe it's because I'm a girl, who knows :roll:

Anyway....the reason why I am so pissed at Mitsubishi for not putting ABS on the DE's is as simple as this. In January 2001, 6 months after I had purchased my "baby"......it was cold, slick, and the snow that had melted during the day had now frozen into thick, cold, hard ice. I was going down a hill....and I tried to slow down...and what do you know...my brakes locked up. As I started to pick up speed (which wasn't good) I started pumping my brakes...that didn't help....then I couldn't steer..nothing. So them my worst fear....an oncoming van!! I only had a split second.....and WABAMM!!!! I hit the van head on.....with my 2 year old daughter in the back seat.

Now...not having ABS didn't save my life, but it could have changed everything. I might not have hit that lady....and our vehicles would have never been damaged. So take it from someone who knows....ABS is very imporant.....it could save your life and the life of your car.

:roll: :shock:

J. T. Z.
08-18-2002, 09:58 PM
ABS does help with skidding out of control but with the roads so icey when you had your accident who's to say they would have done a thing. Just be glad no one was seriously injured.

Cars can be replaced...people can't.

TJC
08-18-2002, 10:29 PM
Hi GalantGirl and welcome to TGC. I'm sorry you had the accident but at least no one seems to have been seriously hurt. ABS works in most situations but NOT on ice. Nothing can prevent you from skidding on ice except spikes in tires or maybe chains that can dig into the ice. Rubber will still slide across ice because there just isn't enough friction to hold or slow the vehicle down unless perhaps you were traveling under 5 mph.

Speeding across icy surfaces even with ABS is false security. Best thing to do is travel slow and use chains when you know there is ice or avoid travelling altogether. I know when I was at a ski resort and there was snow and ice on very steep hills, I will actually go out of my way to find a less steep street to go down or wait at the top until all other vehicles have turned off the road before I proceed to go down it. I'd just rather be safe than sorry.

Tiller
08-18-2002, 11:05 PM
no brakes are going to stop a car from skidding on ice...

but if she hadn't locked her brakes up, she might have had a chance to manuever around the collision... this is ABS is for...

ralliart
08-19-2002, 12:01 AM
Tires are what really matters most on snow traction, that and proper snow driving technique. Even traction control would not help much in oversteer condition. What you really need to do is actually need to accelerate a bit and point the steering wheel to where you actually want to go. Ppl that play rally mode in Gran Turismo will notice this :idea:

Tiller
08-19-2002, 12:06 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ralliart)</div><div class='quotemain'> Ppl that play rally mode in Gran Turismo will notice this Â*:idea:</div>

:thumbsup: it's all about the [b][size=18]<span style='color:yellow'>DRIFT</span>...!

Shylynn
08-20-2002, 09:59 AM
well im glad noone was hurt, but as far as ABS i hate it i cant count how many times ive been driving out in the snow and went to stop at a light or stop sign and the ABS kicked on and i just kept rolling, not a good feeling when you go to stop at a red light and find ur self in the middle of the intersection

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'>ralliart wrote: Â*
Ppl that play rally mode in Gran Turismo will notice this Â*

it's all about the DRIFT...!</div>

you guys will bring GT into any topic wont you?!? https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif