PDA

View Full Version : Requesting feedback on the hi/low HID kits on usdm lamps

acitydweller
11-26-2008, 04:40 AM
Hi,
I'd like to read about your experience with these kits with the USDM headlamps. Not interested in the JDM ones with separate high low housings. I'm considering a kit but wanted to see some testimonals from those who have used these kits. HID's are brighter than halogen so that goes without saying.

How is the reaction time when clicking the high beams on?

How was the installation to the factory harness?

Did you require a new harness kit?

thanks in advance

Fishboy55
11-26-2008, 05:48 AM
I'm familiar with two types of H4 hi/low HIDs. One type has an extra xenon or halogen bulb mounted in the tube with the HID lamp. The other uses a shutter to change the reflecting angle of the halogen lamp between hi and low. I've had both.

The reaction time is about the same as your normal headlights. It's a tad slower with the shutter type, enough to be noticed but not enough to be a problem.

The installation of either type is plug and play. The ballasts may or may not be two piece units, one for the ballast/ignitor and one for the shutter operation. The type with an extra halogen bulb are one piece ballasts.

Get a heavy duty HID harness. It's about a $30 investment but well worth it. The HID's will eventually melt your stock harness. This will happen faster if you get 55w bulbs as opposed to 35w. An aftermarket harness connects to the battery and the factory harness and has independent relays. I highly recommend one, even if you only get single beam HIDs.

Silverfoxx_GTZ
11-26-2008, 06:26 AM
My experience with HIDs in stock headlights wasn't great. The light pattern projected all over the place, and was annoying as hell. I assumed it was because the factory headlights weren't designed to projects hid lights, but I may be wrong. Anyone else have that problem?

kildaremike
11-26-2008, 06:33 AM
Get a heavy duty HID harness. It's about a $30 investment but well worth it. The HID's will eventually melt your stock harness. This will happen faster if you get 55w bulbs as opposed to 35w. An aftermarket harness connects to the battery and the factory harness and has independent relays. I highly recommend one, even if you only get single beam HIDs.

Do we have anything on the site showing these harnesses, or how they and the relays are connected up. I have just ordered a set of 35W 6000Ks, the seperate high and lows, but dont want to install them if my stock harness is going to be torched.

pinoyesv6
11-26-2008, 06:58 AM
just look for an h4 harness on ebay. look for the type that has the relays. also try to get the ones with the thickest wire possible.

acitydweller
11-26-2008, 11:21 AM
My experience with HIDs in stock headlights wasn't great. The light pattern projected all over the place, and was annoying as hell. I assumed it was because the factory headlights weren't designed to projects hid lights, but I may be wrong. Anyone else have that problem?

Understood. Would re-aiming the headlamps help address this?

RedGalant2k1
11-26-2008, 11:52 AM
Buy a plug and play kit, install, turn on. That is all.

You don't need a heavy duty harness (unless you purchased a 55watt HID kit) the standard 35watt kits will never need more power than is already supplied to your factory headlights. So, I'd say buy a plug and play 35 watt kit and call it a day.

dwjp90
11-26-2008, 10:54 PM
don't forget red a few member have had the stock harness with stock bulbs melt on them