PDA

View Full Version : RPW Headers for 7G I4 Models

Mitsiman
01-27-2003, 07:58 PM
Just letting everyone know that we have 7 sets of the I4 headers coming over via Vision Imports within the next two weeks. Anyone wantin gthem contact Vision Imports at www.visionimports.com

These are our 4-1 race design with flex pipe that bolts up to the cat converter with no mods needed.

Sorry for the delay but we finally got the test pipe back from the USa and only just finished there production over christmas but was unable to get them to our shop until end of January.

David Thomas
www.rpw.com.au

o0 XeRO G 0o
01-27-2003, 08:04 PM
how much are they?

Mitsiman
01-27-2003, 08:32 PM
Contact Vision Imports at www.visionimports.com for prices and ETA on arrival.

David Thomas
www.rpw.com.au

2True
01-27-2003, 08:58 PM
Sweet!! Thanks Dave :thumbsup:

Man I was supposed to spend my return on an entertainment center... now this!...decisions...decisions...

o0 XeRO G 0o
01-27-2003, 09:06 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(2True)</div><div class='quotemain'>Sweet!! Thanks Dave Â*:thumbsup: Â*

Man I was supposed to spend my return on an entertainment center... now this!...decisions...decisions...</div>

lol I think you know what to do...

Initial -G-host
02-18-2003, 10:07 AM
Some of the veteran TGC members might remember me being the sponsored test car for VisionImports a few months ago for the RPW racing headers. No offense to BGR or TGC but i have linked the album from GalantSpeed.com on the test fitting and install of the headers on my 95 Galant. Those are the RPW headers in gunmetal grey color. The O2 sensor that was located on the CAT in stock setup will be relocated to the header itself. The flexpipe had to be cut and welded because they were not predone when RPW shipped them. I got the prototype cut and welded so it would exactly bolt on to our USDM 7g's.
http://www.galantspeed.com/modules.php?set...=view_album.php ('http://www.galantspeed.com/modules.php?set_albumName=album25&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php')

*FAIR WARNING* The RPW headers dip alot lower than the stock headers. Be very cautious on steep inclines and declines and bumps on the road. I scratched my headers when backing out of my parents driveway.

baadhabit
02-27-2003, 07:26 PM
what are the expect gains with this mod?

Galant Ryder
02-27-2003, 08:29 PM
how the hell do i actually get to this on visionimports.com?? where do i click to see the products for our car. i know we had to click something that said RPW but i cant find it. someone help. sorry for the stupid post but im lost. :oops:

laxattack2001
02-27-2003, 08:38 PM
i dont understand what do headers do?

Mitsiman
02-27-2003, 08:40 PM
www.visionimports.com

Headers improve the scavenging effect on the motor by pulling the burn't exhaust gases out of themotor better.

The longer the header pipe design the more torque.

DJRINC18
02-28-2003, 01:36 AM
You're only shipping seven? So that means when I finally have the money and they're all gone that I can't get one? I knew Vision Imports had access to them but I thought that they had them in stock or could at least get them relatively easy when someone ordered it. I'm definately interested but I can't afford it right now. How can I get one at a later point in time? Sorry for the whining but I'm a little dissapointed.

2True
02-28-2003, 09:36 AM
It's all good DJRINC18, you and I will be on the same shipment then man https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif I can't justify the purchase of them yet either, amybe later this summer...

Vision can get them relatively easy, they are made in The Land Down Under and shipping is a MF. Gotta wait on full shipments to arrive so Vision and RPW can make the freight charges worth thier while.

baadhabit
02-28-2003, 11:29 AM
are there any HP or Torque gains from these or do they just make noise.

krazienluv10
03-01-2003, 01:07 AM
shiet there better be!!! im pretty sure most of us who bought it there paid around 450

krazienluv10
03-02-2003, 12:48 AM
awww man the more i think of it heads are only gonna improve about one second. in a way thats pretty upsetting but then again parts are gonna cost more and more...ohh well car parts arent cheap and we pretty much wouldnt be here if we were lookin for better and faster improvements...

VegasMatt
03-02-2003, 02:28 AM
I think helping your ET by 1 second is great. If you think about it, I would love to shave 1 second off my time, which is why I am getting the headers when they come out.

2True
03-02-2003, 03:48 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(VegasMatt)</div><div class='quotemain'>I think helping your ET by 1 second is great. Â*If you think about it, I would love to shave 1 second off my time, which is why I am getting the headers when they come out.</div>

Word. I was about to say, shaving 1 second off you rime is a world of difference. Although I doubt just headers could do the job.. :?

IllestGalant
03-02-2003, 11:58 AM
headers alone will no way drop et's by one second. that's like the difference between a corvette z06 and a camaro. sorry but headers wont turn a camaro into a vette and won't turn a galant into camaro.

krazienluv10
03-02-2003, 12:15 PM
ohhh i mean with cai and exhust and couple of other stuff

krazienluv10
03-02-2003, 01:53 PM
really i only came to that conclusion by looking at other people stats on there cars through out the tgc site on quarter mile... i thought stock g quarter mile was bout mid 16 sec and with heads exhaust, intake and piping that would make it about mid 15??? maybe even low 15 depending if it is a fed car...is this right??

Dukeplaya31
03-02-2003, 05:55 PM
No.
You aren't going to be in 15's with just headers, exhaust, and intake. Unless you have a performance TQ and rebuilt tranny or you are a good driver and you have a 5spd galant.

I'll be making a parts list for the members here that wish to stay N/A and would like to be in the 13's/mid 12's. I'll also have a part list for the 5spd members here that would like to beef up their tranny and don't know what/where to get the parts to do so. Expect it up in like two weeks.

Joe F.

krazienluv10
03-02-2003, 07:02 PM
icic

Kain
03-02-2003, 08:04 PM
I dunno, Headers *could* drop you one second in accordance with the proper other mods. Ya gotta think of RPW's "mod path" on their site. I'd have to go look, but I think headers are fairly low on the list. But 1/2 second is probably more reasonable. (For those who don't believe me, I once saw a dyno test on a supercharged V8 muscle car of some sort where they picked up like 40 hp just going from the stock muffler to a straight through muffler. It just depends on prior mods)

IllestGalant
03-02-2003, 10:04 PM
40 hp from a different muffler, no

Kain
03-02-2003, 10:15 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(IllestGalant)</div><div class='quotemain'>40 hp from a different muffler, no</div>

On a supercharged old school V8, yes.

IllestGalant
03-02-2003, 10:17 PM
:shock: damn maybe muffler was clogged.

2True
03-02-2003, 11:57 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Dukeplaya31)</div><div class='quotemain'>
I'll be making a parts list for the members here that wish to stay N/A and would like to be in the 13's/mid 12's. I'll also have a part list for the 5spd members here that would like to beef up their tranny and don't know what/where to get the parts to do so. Expect it up in like two weeks.

Joe F.</div>

That's good stuff, thanks Joe. I can't wait https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif

baadhabit
03-03-2003, 02:07 PM
sooo uuum does anybody know if there are any gains related with these header? anybody?

2True
03-03-2003, 06:17 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(baadhabit)</div><div class='quotemain'>sooo uuum does anybody know if there are any gains related with these header? anybody?</div>

Uhm, I do. Of course there are gains, there are always gains when using aftermarket headers. Why would any company make equal or more restrictive headers? Doubt they will sell very well.. :?

It's a 4-2-1 design, what more would you like to know? There is no dyno sheet yet on a stock 7g for these headers so... I estimate about 7-10 HP if matched with a high-flow cat and muffler.

Mitsiman
03-03-2003, 06:26 PM
We only had 7 to ship to the USA as the other 6 units had already been sold to several cars in Australia etc.

We will be manafacturing more so have no fears. We on average send a pallet of extractors over every 6 weeks to Vision so there is not normally a problem getting these units there.

david Thomas
www.rpw.com.au

krazienluv10
03-03-2003, 09:55 PM
the rpw is 4-2-1??? i thought it was 4-1 thats what it says at vision imports.... :shock:

Mitsiman
03-04-2003, 01:16 AM
All RPW units are 4-1 we have never made a 4-2-1 system ever. Probably a typo error.

David Thomas
www.rpw.com.au

2True
03-04-2003, 02:03 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mitsiman)</div><div class='quotemain'>All RPW units are 4-1 we have never made a 4-2-1 system ever. Probably a typo error.

David Thomas
www.rpw.com.au</div>

Nope, I misread. My bad Dave :oops:

krazienluv10
03-05-2003, 09:19 PM
hey how long does it take anyways to install the headers, is it pretty straight foward cuz my friends shop is charging me 50 to install it and i dont know if i should just do it my self...

IllestGalant
03-05-2003, 10:18 PM
i just bought the header today, it is arriving wednesday, whooo hoooo
no more left for now at vision imports

Mitsiman
03-06-2003, 01:20 AM
Great to hear - whoever it is though, one set of headers we had sent direct from the manfacturer to Vision Imports which means we did not get a chance to face, straighten and de dag the header section like we normally do.

These were sold cheaper to Vision Imports to compensate the customer who would need to do this work to them. Just a warning to that person who does buy them that they do need to go to an exhaust place / machinist and get the flange face checked for being straight and then machining the face to ensure it sits square on the cylidne rhead.

Our other headers have already had this done but we had one set at the manafacture which we added to the order to try and send some more across.

This is not going to cause any problems so please don't panic. This is just to ensure that the person who gets them ensures they do get them checked unless Vision have already organised that.

david Thomas
www.rpw.com.au

krazienluv10
03-06-2003, 12:10 PM
umm how many is one set??? 1 header??

Mitsiman
03-06-2003, 07:33 PM
Yes it was only 1 set of headers and flex pipe out of the whole 8 sets sent across. And it is the set that left on the pallet last week so Vision don't have it yet on there floor.

David Thomas
www.rpw.com.au

Galanttuner
03-06-2003, 10:59 PM
wow..just one set was sent over???!!!???
so when are you guys going to be sending more sets over then?
I want to get a hold of these asap.

IllestGalant
03-06-2003, 10:59 PM
Well that should be done on any part. Cylinder heads, engine blocks, intake manifolds, exhaust manifolds, stock or aftermarket. If you don't check it then well...

Mitsiman
03-06-2003, 11:10 PM
No - there were 8 sets of header systems sent over.
1 of those sets did not come to us for flattening and machining.

Another way of thinking this.

There are going to be 7 extrenmely happy cars out there.
There is going to be 1 extremely happy car out there that the customer is going to need to get the flange face of the header faced flat.

Ie in the end there will be 8 extremely happy cars out there.

Galanttuner
03-06-2003, 11:18 PM
ok... I gotcha.
but the question is when will there be more "happy" cars out there?? (are you guys sending more to visionimports or no?)

IllestGalant
03-06-2003, 11:21 PM
so why don't vision imports check them with a flat edge and feeler gauge and do it themselves or give it to that one customer cheaper

Mitsiman
03-07-2003, 12:03 AM
YEs we are going to manafacture some more - just going to wait though until we get another back order of at least 5 units so that we can justify making 25 units at once.

They can check it with a flat edge but it would need to go to a exhaust firm or machine shop to machine it flat. This is why it will be sold cheaper to the customer to reflect this future cost.

As said this was a once off situatin as we normally do this ourselves.

We just wanted whoever it was that got that set to be aware of why this happened on this 1 set that was all.

David THomas
www.rpw.com.au

Galanttuner
03-07-2003, 12:56 AM
I don't want to be annoying or anything, but is it possible to order directly from RPW and just order one set, or do we need to order from vision and wait for the 25 new sets to be manuafactured. The reason i ask is because I want to get my car ready for springtime and I know it takes an extremely long time for your proucts to be shipped all the way from austrailia to vision, and then to the customers...

Please reply or you can pm me.
Thanks.

Mitsiman
03-07-2003, 02:25 AM
You have to order from Vision but if you want a set of extractors urgently then advise this to vision and we will ship the goods direct from us to you. You simply need to pay vision first and expect of course the freight charges to be higher as when we ship in bulk the goods get cheaper on freight per unit the more we pack together.

Ie to ship air freight direct to the customer in the USA is worth around $200.00 AUD$.

Alternativly if you wish to organise shipping yourself via either somenoe like Fed Ex or DHL then you can pay for teh goods to vision imports, and then once we have been given authorisation, release them to your choice of freight company.

This can be done at any time with any of our products.

David Thomas
www.rpw.com.au

Galanttuner
03-09-2003, 11:28 AM
Mitsiman , I sent you a pm.

Initial -G-host
03-12-2003, 10:55 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'>Some of the veteran TGC members might remember me being the sponsored test car for VisionImports a few months ago for the RPW racing headers. No offense to BGR or TGC but i have linked the album from GalantSpeed.com on the test fitting and install of the headers on my 95 Galant. Those are the RPW headers in gunmetal grey color. The O2 sensor that was located on the CAT in stock setup will be relocated to the header itself. The flexpipe had to be cut and welded because they were not predone when RPW shipped them. I got the prototype cut and welded so it would exactly bolt on to our USDM 7g's.
http://www.galantspeed.com/modules.php?set...=view_album.php ('http://www.galantspeed.com/modules.php?set_albumName=album25&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php')

*FAIR WARNING* The RPW headers dip alot lower than the stock headers. Be very cautious on steep inclines and declines and bumps on the road. I scratched my headers when backing out of my parents driveway.</div>

I posted earlier when this topic started but it seems that some members had more questions about the RPW headers for the 7g. Vision Imports said I was the 1st to have the headers in the U.S and for that matter my Galant has the be test fitted for the headers and the downpipe and other pieces before the cat. converter had to be cut and welded because it wasn't pre-cut from RPW. I got 2 sets precut and done for Vision Imports (1st set is on my Galant and the 2nd set is for the rest of the headers that being shipped for precut). I am not sure why it is taking so long to ship the headers....I had the headers since August 2002.*Pictures of the header install are on the above link* I haven't been in contact with Vision Imports and they haven't contacted me. The only real modification that needs to be done is to relocate the O2 sensor that would be on the stock Cat. to the actual RPW header itself and if your car is low...to be careful, because the RPW head does dip lower than stock.

Galanttuner
03-12-2003, 12:01 PM
White Ghost...
The rpw headers have been just about frowned upon by the v6 8g guys. Can you tell us what kind of gains you got from the headers? High rpm, low rpm, torque increases?decreases?
Increase in sound?

flipz_ny79
03-12-2003, 03:25 PM
I've had these headers on since Oct-Nov time frame. As for performance I would say all the gains are in the mid to high end if there was even any, coz to be honest I didnt really feel any gains. It feels like I kinda lost some low end torue too, probably coz of less back pressure. But Iam hoping Ill get more gains out of these headers if I upgrade my fuel system and change my intake to cold air. My car is a Cali spec, so I had to get the flex pipe it came with costomized to fit. It also caused my CEL to lite up, so I would suggest you get the HFC coz this has a bung for the 2nd O2 sensor to be relocated to. I think this would solve the CEL issue. Your also probably gonna have to splice wires to the 2nd O2 sensor if its not long enough to be relocated behind the cat. My other performance mods with these headers are:
- RS Akimoto intake
- Borla exhaust
- NGK spark plugs/wires

Initial -G-host
03-13-2003, 06:04 AM
I couldn't give you exact bhp/torque gains to the number because no dyno runs have been done. I also couldn't give you track times because well....I didn't even take the car to the track. I haven't really driven the car that much since I got the headers on ....probably a good dozen times before I decided to modify the chassis, drivetrain and motor, therefore.....White -G-host has been in a garage since November. Low end power seemed to be a little more sluggish but mid range and top end power I did notice the car did pull harder. As always performance gains will vary to each application installed. I haven't had any problems as for any lights going on, motor problems are any weired noises since the headers have been on. As for the O2 sensor...I will type it AGAIN, you don't need to splice or cut or do some wacky shiet to relocate it. Just take it off the stock downpipe....cut the clip that is holding the excess wiring to the 02 sensor.....and relocate it to the RPW header itself. I would make sure to insulate the 02 wiring with something from the heat.

flipz_ny79
03-13-2003, 06:32 AM
As for the first O2 sensor, yes you dont have to splice wire to it. It just relocates to the headers. But the second O2 sensor that just maybee on cali spec cars you will have to move it also behind the cat, i believe.
White-G-host dont you have the HFC too installed? Because I talked to vision imports and they told me they also installed it on yours. Thats probably why your CEL didnt lite like mine. Unless only the Cali spec vehicles are the only ones with two O2 sensors.

krazienluv10
03-13-2003, 12:24 PM
what can i wrap up the o2 sensor with??? just electrical tape or is there something else???

flipz_ny79
03-13-2003, 02:49 PM
I guess electrical tape will do, just make sure you tape it up real good. But if you can get acces to heat shrink thats better. Thats if you have to splice wires to it. But if you dont, the black stock insulation from the O2 sensor will work.

krazienluv10
03-22-2003, 02:09 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mitsiman)</div><div class='quotemain'>Great to hear - whoever it is though, one set of headers we had sent direct from the manfacturer to Vision Imports which means we did not get a chance to face, straighten and de dag the header section like we normally do.

These were sold cheaper to Vision Imports to compensate the customer who would need to do this work to them. Just a warning to that person who does buy them that they do need to go to an exhaust place / machinist and get the flange face checked for being straight and then machining the face to ensure it sits square on the cylidne rhead.

Our other headers have already had this done but we had one set at the manafacture which we added to the order to try and send some more across.

This is not going to cause any problems so please don't panic. This is just to ensure that the person who gets them ensures they do get them checked unless Vision have already organised that.

david Thomas
www.rpw.com.au</div>

yay i got my shipment but how do i know if this was done to my heads??? the flanges looks straight but the it looks crooked in the end .... it also it looks like it has been sanded... so do i still need to go to the machinist??

krazienluv10
03-22-2003, 06:22 AM
awww man it doesnt fit... been working on my car during the middle of the night taking apart my car and as i put it in the screws dont fit right in the holes and i dont have a drill to make them bigger, guess i have to put everyback together :x hope theres no left over pieces

Mitsiman
03-23-2003, 06:30 PM
Firstly if there are signs of sanding / facing then those headers are fine. The person who gets the ones without the work will see it as quite obvious as the welding dages will still be inside the header pipe flange.

Now in what way did the headers not fit - please let me know so that I can work out what your problem is and give you the appropiate advice to rectify the problem.

David Thomas
www.rpw.com.au

krazienluv10
03-24-2003, 12:35 AM
when i was trying to install them the large engine bolt on the right side was a little off and did not want to slid in... tried forcing it in however all it did was mess up the threads of the bolt... i just made the hole a little bigger,not noticible... and it fit right through after an hour of messing with it...

Galanttuner
03-24-2003, 01:05 AM
so it did fit then?

krazienluv10
03-24-2003, 02:07 AM
yup but my car was extremely loud soo i had to put back on my cat ...

Mitsiman
03-24-2003, 02:10 AM
Okay I know whats happened - Mitsubishi have two different bolt diameters on the end of the heads a 8mm or 10mm and what has happened is that the headers have all been done to the same 8mm diameter.

What you will need to do is on some model cars (And we are not sure which ones exactly) you need to drill out the two lowest side holes (One on each side) out slightly larger to fit over teh stud on the cylinder head.

I think the galants run the two larger holes but the eclipses run the smaller holes, but if we drill them out to the large size then on the cars with the smaller holes it makes a small fitment.

Note this size hole is only on two of the total of 10 studs which is why it is hard to pick.

Glad to hear you got it sorted out.

David THomas
www.rpw.com.au

krazienluv10
03-24-2003, 12:53 PM
is there a certain way of tightening the nuts on the headers, like top to bottom or left to right or any other way because i hear leaks but im not sure if its my cat or the headers???

Mitsiman
03-24-2003, 06:52 PM
No there is no particular sequence - it is best if possible that you refit the exhaust manifold gasket with a sealer but not absoloutly necessary.

David Thomas
www.rpw.com.au

IllestGalant
03-24-2003, 09:42 PM
I got the header, looks great! what is it made out of? In other words is it going to rust or should I get it dipped (porcelain or ceramic)? Is it necessary to dip to prevent rust for this header?

Mitsiman
03-25-2003, 01:02 AM
They are made out of mild 3mm thick steel.

We have run them on cars without coating them and have had no rust problems but being located in the USA - I beleive a lot of firms have rust problems with salt on roads etc so if you have the money get them ceramic coated if possible - if not then fit them up and get them done later which you can do.

David Thomas
www.rpw.com.au

IllestGalant
03-25-2003, 10:21 PM
I am sending them to my local machinist to have my block acid dipped, he said he would also ceramic coat the header so I am gonna go for it.