PDA

View Full Version : The Great Suspension discussion...

6G72Galant
12-02-2008, 06:34 PM
Well since my hopes of getting Airbags are slowly fading away, ive been reading around and searching and browsing about several different suspension setups. And ive seen several reoccurring statements...

-KYB GR-2's and KYB AGX's are NOT designed for lowering springs. And because of this, they need to be prematurely replaced

-Megan offers a close to stock spring rate and conservative drop

-Eibachs lower the car, but the spring rate remains very close to stock even when lowering the car. Lowering the car without increasing spring rate is a bad idea. Correct?

Heres what i would like from a drop...

1-Soft ride. Bouncy doesnt bother me. I do not want to be busting my spine over bumps.
2-Reliability and durability (i dont want to replace shocks and struts in a year).
3-I know that most of the parts from the 2000-2005 Eclipse are compatible with the Galant. But what about the suspension components? Are the 2000-2005 V6 Eclipse suspension parts completely compatible with a 2003 V6 Galant?
4-I have access to Tokico suspension parts through Advance Auto. Ill be saving 20% on the purchases. Any suggestions?
5-Ima check tomorrow and see if i can buy Megans through Advance auto and still get my discount.

Thanks guys. Ill continue doing some research myself. And will def post pics once everything is all done. But id appreciate any advice suggestions in the mean time. Thanks.

6G72gearhead
12-02-2008, 06:37 PM
I can't remember, do they have Koni Yellow's available for our application.

greddy
12-02-2008, 09:18 PM
AGX will last you quite a while with a mild drop, eibachs give you that mild drop and also a great ride, I rode on eibach and agx set at three, and the ride was equal to or better than stock. Megan's ride rather rough, and teins are in between eibachs and megans for ride quality, this is from my personal experience at least.

RedGalant2k1
12-02-2008, 09:30 PM
The AGX's are fine with lowered springs.

If you want something you can be sure to reduce any potential issues, get a full coilover setup. No other setup will cover you like they do, and you get height and dampening adjustability to boot! I would recommend the Megans for sure. If you want them to ride nice and not be too bumpy just leave them all the way soft. I have mine set at 22 front and 22 rear.

You could also get the D2, K-sport, Tein, or any other coilover system, but be careful on requesting a specific spring rate, because its not the easiest thing to understand. Even race car mechanics and technicians get it messed up, so don't think that anyone here really truly knows or let alone actually understands what different spring rates actually mean and do.

So if you go the coilover route just use the factory supplied standard, UNLESS you research and FULLY UNDERSTAND exactly what changing the spring rate has implications on. So, I'd say go with the Megans. I'm supremely happy with mine. They aren't even that 'bouncy' or 'rough' being set fairly stiff. But ride height has a lot to do with it too. Go with the Megans.

Whatever you do check with TGC Vendors first:

www.ImportCarpartsplus.com

and

www.Wesellcarparts.com

If all else fails you can also check some of GalantForums.com vendors.

www.Speedcorps.com Crypto (David) is the person you want to contact. They have Megan, and can get a really good price.

Trust me though, you want coilovers.

spdracr
12-02-2008, 11:36 PM
i love my megan racing coilovers, my ride is a lil bouncy but that really bother me and i love how easy it is to adjust all i have to do is jack the side up and take the wheel off and i have full access to adjusting the spring and the height of the ride

greddy
12-02-2008, 11:59 PM
i love my megan racing coilovers, my ride is a lil bouncy but that really bother me and i love how easy it is to adjust all i have to do is jack the side up and take the wheel off and i have full access to adjusting the spring and the height of the ride

x2, The ride isn't as good as eibach and agx, but the handling and adjustability makes this a worthwhile investment, I'm on megans as well, and my car is pretty slammed but my gf doesn't complain about the ride, which must mean it's pretty decent.

6G72Galant
12-03-2008, 04:19 AM
Hmm...well i was hoping to do my suspension for around $600-$700. Ive seen Megans for as little as $900 for coilovers. And if i have to pay that much, ill just wait until tax return. Although i need shocks and struts BAAAAAADLY. Im beginning to hear a dry, screeching noise whenever i turn, or accelerate. I dont want to sacrifice quality for low prices. So i really think im just going to wait another month or two and then splurge on the Megan Coilovers.

6G72Galant
12-03-2008, 04:33 AM
http://www.ptuning.com/html/Item-Desc.cfm?PartNo=PTHU3534&MakeCode=mitsub&ModelCode=eclips&ModelYear=2000%2D2003%20All&ModelDesc=Eclipse (http://www.ptuning.com/html/Item-Desc.cfm?PartNo=PTHU3534&MakeCode=mitsub&ModelCode=eclips&ModelYear=2000%2D2003%20All&ModelDesc=Eclipse)

What about these Tokico's for the rear? Im going to check with my job today and see if i can purchase these through them. Ill do some more searching today and make a decision by tonite.

qnz
12-03-2008, 08:40 AM
a shock + spring combo will be softer than a coilover setup.

eibach springs are soft. but the tein h-tech spring are even softer. both dont lower you much. how low do you want to go? coilovers lower you the most

tokico makes nice shocks. i have them on the 2g.

the 2g with tokico adjustable shocks (white ones) and tein h-tech springs feels like im driving a luxury suv compared to the Galant with Tein ss-p.

racesnos
12-03-2008, 10:56 AM
x2, The ride isn't as good as eibach and agx, but the handling and adjustability makes this a worthwhile investment, I'm on megans as well, and my car is pretty slammed but my gf doesn't complain about the ride, which must mean it's pretty decent.

same here. i agree with this. Sometimes i wish that it was softer but in the end i love looking at my car and seeing the super aggressive look and when i handle the curves, it's the best feeling. My GF doesn't complain either. She loves the look and even suggested to lower it more... i said no... haha

6G72Galant
12-03-2008, 03:09 PM
a shock + spring combo will be softer than a coilover setup.

eibach springs are soft. but the tein h-tech spring are even softer. both dont lower you much. how low do you want to go? coilovers lower you the most

tokico makes nice shocks. i have them on the 2g.

the 2g with tokico adjustable shocks (white ones) and tein h-tech springs feels like im driving a luxury suv compared to the Galant with Tein ss-p.

Know if anyone has the Tokico's on the 8G? Id like to get a 1.0-1.5 inch drop up front. But i really want a nice soft ride. I love the way Cadillacs almost float over bumps.

qnz
12-03-2008, 04:06 PM
for the softest ride, nothing beats stock.

6G72Galant
12-03-2008, 05:16 PM
for the softest ride, nothing beats stock.

True. But im tired of 4x4'ing around town bro.:(

RedGalant2k1
12-03-2008, 07:46 PM
Trust me, go coilovers. You can ride at nearly stock height and full hard dampening if you want, or just totally slammed and the softest dampening if you want. The adjustability is far nicer than even a small loss in overall ride quality. You won't be sorry you saved up a few extra dollars and sprung for a nicer setup.

Megans are the best bang for the buck. JIC's are the nicest overall (and probably my next set). But in general they are much better especially since the shock body is actually designed for the springs it rides with.