PDA

View Full Version : Water Temp Gauge down and out, HELP PLEASE!

kbizzle3420
12-05-2008, 10:05 AM
Hey guys, my water temp gauge in my 02' GTZ is just stuck on cold but my car isnt overheating and the A/C/heat controls and everything like that works fine. I took out the gauge cluster and the plug is plugged in fine. When it first happened I could press hard on the cluster and the needle would move up a lil from the pressure and then go back down after I stopped pressing it. Now if I try to press on it, it doesn't move at all, just stays on cold. If someone knows whats going on or how I can fix it or test it some how, I would really appreciate it, thanks guys!

djakay
12-05-2008, 11:09 AM
check your circuit board on the back of the cluster, i had a problem with my temp gauge not the same but similar. the problem was the circuit board, replaced it and worked out fine

Johnathansgalant
12-05-2008, 08:36 PM
is it stuck on the cold side but moving just never reaching normal temps or the gauge is absolutely not moving at all?? if its staying in the cold area but moving slightly on its own u may have a bad thermostat or even a bad temp sensor if it absolutely does not move at all maybe the temp sensor is completely bad

kbizzle3420
12-07-2008, 09:22 PM
is it stuck on the cold side but moving just never reaching normal temps or the gauge is absolutely not moving at all?? if its staying in the cold area but moving slightly on its own u may have a bad thermostat or even a bad temp sensor if it absolutely does not move at all maybe the temp sensor is completely bad

no its just not moving at all, just stays there completely on cold, i get heat in the car perfectly fine and even A/C if I change it to cold, and djakay what do I have to do to check if the circuit board has gone bad? But if it was the circuit board, wouldnt that mean that none of the gauges would work? I could be wrong, but I'm not sure

6G72Galant
12-08-2008, 05:05 AM
WooooooooW. I just had the same shit happen to me last nite. After driving for 30 minutes my temp guage was still on Cold. I was like WTF? But after a while, it worked again. ????????

Fishboy55
12-08-2008, 05:46 AM
Sounds like the needle is just pressed down too far and it's impeeding the movement of the gauge. Take your cluster out and remove the plastic cover. Pry up GENTLY on the temperature needle with a thin screwdriver or other pry tool. All you want to do is raise it slightly, not remove it. If it does pop off, it's not a big deal if your engine is cold. Just slide it back on gently and be sure it's pointing at the cold indicator.

kbizzle3420
12-08-2008, 10:26 AM
Sounds like the needle is just pressed down too far and it's impeeding the movement of the gauge. Take your cluster out and remove the plastic cover. Pry up GENTLY on the temperature needle with a thin screwdriver or other pry tool. All you want to do is raise it slightly, not remove it. If it does pop off, it's not a big deal if your engine is cold. Just slide it back on gently and be sure it's pointing at the cold indicator.

Why and how could the needle be pressed down to far? Is that possible that the needle can get pressed down to far and it will stay in that position? If so, i mean it kind of makes a lot of sense bc I havent had any engine trouble or car trouble like that *knock on wood 2x* lol but with that being said, who knows, things happen all the time right out of the blue!

Fishboy55
12-08-2008, 04:37 PM
You said you press hard on the cluster and it comes back up. Sounds like maybe your gauge isn't screwed down tight or the needle is rubbing it. I can't answer HOW it got that way, I was just trying to give you the simplest solution. It's seven screws to remove the cluster and find out. Your choice.

dwjp90
12-08-2008, 05:04 PM
yea if you press down on it to hard the needle is probally stuck, use a paper clip to judge about how high it shoudl be

kbizzle3420
12-09-2008, 12:20 PM
You said you press hard on the cluster and it comes back up. Sounds like maybe your gauge isn't screwed down tight or the needle is rubbing it. I can't answer HOW it got that way, I was just trying to give you the simplest solution. It's seven screws to remove the cluster and find out. Your choice.

Ok yea that makes sense, I will try that out and let you know if it worked it out, bc now that I think about it, I did press on the cluster kinda of hard lol and the needle went up and then back down and now when i press on it, it just doesnt move at all anymore! Thanks fishboy55, I will try it out!

kbizzle3420
12-09-2008, 12:21 PM
yea if you press down on it to hard the needle is probally stuck, use a paper clip to judge about how high it shoudl be

Yea I hope it is just stuck, but I will try it out and let everyone know the results, thanks dwjp90!