View Full Version : Polyprothane mounts and my bad decision

jamesgalant
12-06-2008, 05:51 PM
I meant POLYURETHANE oops
this past week ive been excited to upgrade my badly needed motor mounts... . i had a tough time choosing between the polyurethane inserts and the stock motor mounts for a I4 8g....80 bucks for the inserts or 230 for the stock mounts...i did alot of research and decided to get polyurethane... which in short, vibrates awhole damn lot...and putting the inserts was no joke... others had blow torches and dremels...i had a Hammer 6 piece set of flat heads and determenation...if jesus and joseph did it ...so can i .... I was able to install the front and back "Roll stoppers" mounts with no problem....thanks to the tutorial but it did not mention on how to replace the Transmission mount (Driver side mount) boy did it suck.....I had the hardest time removing it from the car and even the hardest time putting it back...it took me 1 and a half hours to realize that i need to remove the "K bar" the one connected to the front mount and the rear mount.... to lower the transmission even lower....whata bitch...in short... polyurthane vibrates a lot more then it did on worn out and torn mounts.. not to mention the body aching work involve installing them..... if i could do it over again i would recommend spending 230..on stock mounts... . although my car vibrates without the subs on and wheel hop is no longer an issue, i can rest assure that my engine wont fall out...plan to install stock in the future

Oh yea would it matter if i got stock rear mounts "roll stoppers" would it reduce vibration from the steering wheel and cabin since its closer to it... i dont know i read it some where????

Gtorque
12-06-2008, 06:06 PM
i have the polyurethane motor mounts sitting in my room..do u like them or not??? are they good for racing

6G72Galant
12-06-2008, 06:31 PM
Thanks for sharing your experience. LoL. Guess ill be buyin stock mounts.

jamesgalant
12-07-2008, 02:07 PM
im no expert by any means but polyurethane mounts eliminates wheel hop, i do notice a better response...and yes put them on if your gonna race but on a commuter hell to the NO... sorry to say but damn man too much vibration....... im going back to shifting to neutral between stop lights.....and im not sure if its healthy for my transmission if i keep doin that to eliminate the vibrations???prolly not but until i get stock mounts.. i guess i have to man up...

seth98esT
12-07-2008, 02:12 PM
Polyurethane motor mounts give much more vibration in an auto then they do on a 5spd. I had them on my 5spd and the extra vibration was hardly much more noticeable.

Have never ridden in an auto car with said mounts though.

DOHCstunr
12-07-2008, 02:19 PM
there is absolutely nothign wrong with shifting to N @ stoplights.
absolutely nothing at all. I always did in my old es.

IDK where you live, but I know that in the cold, vibrations are worse than when its warm.
See what you think after a few weeks. you'll probably get used to the vibration and won't much notice it anymore.
I bet your trans is shifting the best it ever has.

RedGalant2k1
12-07-2008, 02:21 PM
there is absolutely nothign wrong with shifting to N @ stoplights.
absolutely nothing at all. I always did in my old es.

IDK where you live, but I know that in the cold, vibrations are worse than when its warm.
See what you think after a few weeks. you'll probably get used to the vibration and won't much notice it anymore.
I bet your trans is shifting the best it ever has.

It may over time be detrimental to your transmission fluid as it runs at significantly higher pressure (and as a result higher temperature) when in neutral or park.

RAZ_76
12-07-2008, 02:34 PM
If you would have asked prior to this, I could have told you that they are harder then rubber and are ok for racing purposes but not for a daily car. They are also a pain the ass to install.

jamesgalant
12-07-2008, 05:52 PM
i know....i guess i always learn the hard way.....hate to sound like a whining bitch in this post..but im just warning others who were like me deciding poly or rubber... prolly even if you did told me i would of done it anyway...might need a pacquiao punch to knock some sense into me...im also thinking getting stock rear mounts just to see if it'll eliminate some of the vibration?? maybe it ll ruin faster since it'll absorb all the other vibration?? who knows...

skyhigh90210
12-07-2008, 07:09 PM
I have them in mine and yes there is a good bit of vibration. There is a noticeable difference from warm weather and cold weather, when its warm it vibrates less but when its cold outside I start to hate it. But I autocross my car and I noticed the differences from before and after.

Shadow19
12-07-2008, 08:15 PM
I absolutely HATED mine... Its not for a DD application thats for damn sure. And to answer your question. No removing the roll mount inserts wont lessen the vibration. Trust me i did everything i could think of to try and stop it. My car started backing the screws out of my front bumber when i installed them and let it idle for about 1 minute. I did drill the sides out in a 6 hole pattern like the v6 eclipse but ive yet to install them. Ill let you know how it works out when i do. I doubt it will be anytime soon though. Ive had them sitting that way for over a year now because i hate fighting the tranny mount.

underated
12-07-2008, 11:17 PM
most people only do the front and rear inserts to stop wheel hop and leave the sides stock or get softer poly inserts and that is on "race car"... if your just daily driving your car i hate to say after you already finished but you should have just gotten stock mounts.

or you could fill the stock mounts with some 60A polyurethane from homedepot... window weld (what most people use) is 80A and most aftermarket inserts are between 80A and 90A.

you will probably get used to them, turn up the bass and you wont notice it lol

DOHCstunr
12-07-2008, 11:33 PM
I drive my car every single day.
I have no complaints.
The stock mounts are trash, and totally take the feeling away from the car.
I could understand why some may not like this particular upgrade....
but it will probably be one of the first I do on all my cars, until i'm retired and driving cadillacs
They were also very simple to install. Its about having the right tools, and procedure.

Gtorque
12-08-2008, 03:25 PM
i think imma just try them on to see what i think about them...i already have them so might aswell see how they are.

jamesgalant
12-08-2008, 07:25 PM
a week past since i installed it, shaking did go down a little but its pretty freakin cold up in cali prolly contributing to extra vibration to the engine...THe mornings suck but towards the afternoon its not as bad plus...I always turn up the stereo when i drive so it'll do for now....

I4betterthanUR4
12-10-2008, 02:32 PM
After reading this post I'm pretty interested in installing them in my car. Just how bad is it. I can deal with the loudness and vibration. Is it like teeth chattering bad or worse?

Shadow19
12-10-2008, 03:01 PM
After reading this post I'm pretty interested in installing them in my car. Just how bad is it. I can deal with the loudness and vibration. Is it like teeth chattering bad or worse?

HORRIBLE. From what ive been told my experience with them was ABNORMAL. I didnt like them at all. The only thing i DID like was the response. I hit the gas and i was like... WOW! But thats not worth my bumper falling off going down the road, dash vibrating loose, gas pedal falling off and steering wheel breaking.. I probably could have dealt with it if it didnt sound like i had subs in the trunk from everything vibrating but it was a deep tone which is very hard to explain. But of coarse i have a 2.4 with no balance shafts that MAY have something to do with it because the person i told this to did the 63t swap and i BELIEVE he still has balance shafts though im not sure.

Stewi
12-10-2008, 07:28 PM
HORRIBLE. From what ive been told my experience with them was ABNORMAL. I didnt like them at all. The only thing i DID like was the response. I hit the gas and i was like... WOW! But thats not worth my bumper falling off going down the road, dash vibrating loose, gas pedal falling off and steering wheel breaking.. I probably could have dealt with it if it didnt sound like i had subs in the trunk from everything vibrating but it was a deep tone which is very hard to explain. But of coarse i have a 2.4 with no balance shafts that MAY have something to do with it because the person i told this to did the 63t swap and i BELIEVE he still has balance shafts though im not sure.

the solid rear mount is what really causes the vibrations. I've been in cars with stock rear mounts and prothane on the other 3 and the vibration is not bad.

jamesgalant
12-10-2008, 08:13 PM
vibration is bad when its cold and the first installation of them....you kinda get use to them...I do notice a better response when i gas it though....and putting stock rears would probably lower the vibration in the cabin.... the rear inserts is the only thing holding up the rear of the engine all that rubber stuff was torn apart kind of ghetto though but i'll be replacing it soon to stock..if anyone wants some polyurethane with mounts let me know i got all four soon maybe after/ before christmas..

blkg01
12-23-2008, 07:51 AM
I feel a lil discouraged becuz im about to get some put in but then again i heard the vibration isnt as bad after the 5spd swap.

wright06jhs
12-24-2008, 07:54 PM
I've put over 13k miles on my 2000 eclipse gt with these motor mount inserts and the vibration has almost completey went away. I would suggest them, and income tax time I putting them in my galant gtz.

Gtorque
12-24-2008, 09:41 PM
vibration and noise dont really bother me so much..maybe the noise but i got my windows down and the radio up lol.imma end up installing them in a couple of weeks.lets c how that goes.....by the way with the inserts...how did you guys take out the stock rubber mounts to get the urethane ones in?

Jeffylou87
04-01-2009, 10:21 AM
I'm getting prothane inserts. Is there an easy way to remove the old rubber ones? Has anyone McGuyver'd a tool to insert and pull mounts?

DOHCstunr
04-01-2009, 01:46 PM
I'm getting prothane inserts. Is there an easy way to remove the old rubber ones? Has anyone McGuyver'd a tool to insert and pull mounts?

just get a torch and a sawzall.

thats all you need.
on most of the mounts you can actaully get the sawzall blade in the mount and just start cutting towards the brass sleeve(no torch needed)
once you've made a couple complete cuts into the bras sleeve, the bushing should just fall right out(worst case you tap it with a screwdriver)

pretty cut and dry.

Jeffylou87
04-01-2009, 03:20 PM
How about getting the new ones in? I heard Chip mention using a vice.. Sounds pretty easy but it's a first for me.

Shadow19
04-01-2009, 05:27 PM
i drilled mine out with a 3/8 paddle bit then dremeled the metal case out.. took about 2 hours to do both.