PDA

View Full Version : A/C compressor not engaging

mstester
12-09-2008, 02:32 PM
I had let my car sit for a couple of days and strangly when I came back my A/C compressor did not engage when I push it in and turned on the fan ( I just used it too last I left it). I checked my fuess and they seems to be alright. Is there another relay or some other area I can check?

Stewi
12-09-2008, 09:56 PM
I had let my car sit for a couple of days and strangly when I came back my A/C compressor did not engage when I push it in and turned on the fan ( I just used it too last I left it). I checked my fuess and they seems to be alright. Is there another relay or some other area I can check?

The compressor only needs a few things to engage. A good clutch, having the wire connected, having power to the wire (fuse) and having pressure in the system. If you checked the fuse already, make sure the wire is connected and make sure the wire is connected to the pressure switch as well. The pressure switch is located on the dehydrator which you can see behind the passenger side headlight. I believe the wiring connector for the switch is red, make sure its plugged in. If it is, go to a shop and have them test to make sure the system has enough refrigerant. You could have a leak and that can cause the compressor not to turn on. Its a safety feature, the compressor uses the refrigerant and oil combo to lubricate itself, so without pressure, you would burn out the compressor.