PDA

View Full Version : Radiator support replacement

matsolar
12-11-2008, 08:03 AM
Hi guys, I just wondering how hard it is to replace radiator support on 99 galant? Is it possible to do it by my self?
And also I check on ebay the price is around $ 100 shipped. Is that a good price?
The reason why I'm asking is cause I need to replace mine and since it's a tight money program, I'm thinking to do it myself.
So I need input and advice.
Thank you in advance.

Anton

4-G-rim
12-11-2008, 09:03 AM
Yes you can do it yourself...the hardest part is removing everything to get to it.

You will have to remove the following:
-Front bumper
-Bumper reinforcement
-headlights
-radiator
-a/c condensor

and maybe a few small things here and there. Definitely something you can do yourself though.

$100 is a good deal actually.

matsolar
12-11-2008, 09:10 AM
Thank's is that involving using welder or it's just bolt on?

4-G-rim
12-11-2008, 09:22 AM
No welding shouldn't be involved.

matsolar
12-11-2008, 09:26 AM
Ok thanks' glad to hear that. Now I just have to gather the parts. Think it's gonna be my spring project.
Thanks' again man.

Anton

4-G-rim
12-11-2008, 09:31 AM
Yeah no welding...just a bunch of 10/12/14mm bolts holding it up. Just make sure you don't lose any of the bolts though. :cool:

Just a suggestion...if your car has been exposed to up north winter elements, I would spray a little PB blaster on the bolts to eat some of the rust and lubricate so you don't strip out any of them when removing the bolts. I would also apply a small amount of nickle or copper antisieze to the bolts before tightening them back up.

Good luck.

matsolar
12-11-2008, 09:37 AM
Thanks' I'll do that.

Anton

Stewi
12-11-2008, 02:43 PM
Yeah no welding...just a bunch of 10/12/14mm bolts holding it up. Just make sure you don't lose any of the bolts though. :cool:

Just a suggestion...if your car has been exposed to up north winter elements, I would spray a little PB blaster on the bolts to eat some of the rust and lubricate so you don't strip out any of them when removing the bolts. I would also apply a small amount of nickle or copper antisieze to the bolts before tightening them back up.

Good luck.

G-Rim, you do realize he has a 8g not a 7g right? I dont know if the 7g is different, but he says its a 99, so thats an 8g. The radiator support on an 8g is 110% welded on. Its welded on top, center and bottom of the frame rails and also to the front of the apron panels and to the edges of the upper rails under the fenders.

Matsolar, I would let a shop do this if you dont have experience with this type of thing, especially welding. Understand that the body lines of every part of the front of the car, bumper, grille, hood, headlamps and fenders will end up being effected by the radiator support. So if you weld it on and its not 100% lined up straight, your gaps/body lines will never be correct.

djakay
12-11-2008, 03:27 PM
^ x2

The 8g had the radiator support spot welded, I need to replace my as well, and when/if you go to the shop, i suggest shop around...from my experience, the cheaper it gets the worse quality of the job. if they don't align it correctly you will have gaps between headlights grille bumper.

RAZ_76
12-11-2008, 03:31 PM
On the 8G it can be a PITA if you never done one. You have to drill out the spot welds on the old one and then on the new one, you have to drill holes in the same spots you drilled the spot welds out so you can fill with weld and it will have to be welded back but before you do that, you have to grind off whatever is left from the old support, paint with some Rustoleum to prevent rust. You also have to make sure and get it in there right or nothing will line up right, like fenders, bumper, headlights, hood. You have to remove Bumper, crash bar, headlights, fenders, radiator, electric fans, hood lock and whatever else that's around there so you have room to work. Here was mine when I did it.

http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa82/RAZ_76/2001%20galant/01build007.jpg

http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa82/RAZ_76/2001%20galant/01build019.jpg

matsolar
12-12-2008, 06:57 AM
Okay, guys thanks' for the information. Do you know how much is the reasonable price for this kind of work if i take it to the shop?

Anton