PDA

View Full Version : Fuel problem?

brandon
01-29-2003, 12:23 PM
Hey guys,

Issues: My car, when idling, likes to drop in RPMs every few minutes or so down to about 500, and feels like it's about to stall... but will go back to normal (usually) a few seconds after it happens.

When driving, the car occasionally will hesitate when I give it gas, almost like there's a lack of fuel being fed in. It will stutter/shudder very softly, kinda like how your car reacts to running out of gas.

For both occurrences, the check engine light will come on (sometimes), and the car will rev high for about a second or two, and then drop back off again... and the check engine light goes back off.

I thought originally it might be the transmission (automatic), but there are no problems in shifting between gears and everything is smooth otherwise.

Thoughts: I'm sure I need to change the fuel filter, should I be getting my injectors checked? Maybe the fuel lines? Any other suggestions or recommendations?

Thanks as always.

MidNightRacing
01-29-2003, 01:55 PM
I had almost the same problem. I had left the car sitting for almost 6 months :shock: Then i got it regestered. Its only acted like that on turns (not every turn) the sheck light didnt come on. It reved its self when ideling. So I took it to mitsubishi (I Thought I was getting a full tune up for $290 but when there he told me $500) I got the 15k service and a coolent flush. The car worked fine after that and it worked fine today. I turns out that it was reving itself b/c the a$$hole mechanice @ a local shop left air in the coolant system.

pinoyesv6
01-29-2003, 02:28 PM
try cleaning the throttle body.

changing the fuel filter is a good idea once in a while. as for the injectors, well i think u should be safe. today's fuels contains detergents that help to clean injectors. that bottle stuff doesn't help anyways.

brandon
01-30-2003, 09:34 AM
I cleaned the throttle body, that seemed to help a bit but the problem still persists. Think I need to do a better job of cleaning it perhaps? It was definitely pretty dirty in there...

pinoyesv6
01-30-2003, 10:59 AM
u check ur tranny fluid?

brandon
01-30-2003, 12:52 PM
Yep, it was low, but I filled her right up... still persists.

Jesse
01-30-2003, 12:56 PM
Did you remove any honeycombs in your MAS sensor?

brandon
01-30-2003, 03:22 PM
Nope, haven't touched the MAS... had the CAI, even swapped that out in favor of the short ram... might try to go back to stock to see if it might be an airflow problem.

Thanks for the additional thoughts... I'm just trying to get to the bottom of it.