PDA

View Full Version : new turbo set-up?

Gtorque
12-11-2008, 09:07 PM
hey my 8G galant is already turbocharged with a AEM Fuel/Ignition Controller.Im thinking of going bigger with the turbo, wastegate, and manifold.i have some pics of the set up on
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2642103
if anyone wants to check it out.

Reason for this is because im looking to make some pretty good hp outcome.does anyone know if a Garrett T4 Dual Ball Bearing GT40R Turbocharger ,Tial 44mm wastegate ,Custom turbo manifold , & a microtech LT-10 would work alright?

in the near future im going to do a full evo head swap and build with HKS internals and want a good turbo set up to go with it.

qnz
12-11-2008, 10:04 PM
t4? i dont think thats gonna spool up fast enough. whats your hp goals? there are some guys on club3g that are making 300-500 whp. just check out what theyre running and you can copy their build.

seth98esT
12-11-2008, 11:15 PM
I didnt see in your specs if your motor is built or stock? If its a stock block, Id go with a GT35R. If it was a built block, Id still probably go with a GT35R ;)

Gtorque
12-12-2008, 06:52 AM
I didnt see in your specs if your motor is built or stock? If its a stock block, Id go with a GT35R. If it was a built block, Id still probably go with a GT35R ;)

yes my motor is built with Forge Pistons, Eagle rods, ARP Studs,Cometic Head Gasket,Bearings,etc.
still think i should go with the GT35R?

Gtorque
12-12-2008, 06:55 AM
t4? i dont think thats gonna spool up fast enough. whats your hp goals? there are some guys on club3g that are making 300-500 whp. just check out what theyre running and you can copy their build.

im looking to make more than 600hp after my evo head swap.but as for just the new turbo set up (no clue).
thanks for the thread

Boosted
12-12-2008, 10:51 PM
For a 600WHP goal, you should look into an entire Evo motor swap. Just look at what the Drag Evo on www.amsperformance.com (http://www.amsperformance.com) has. That is some serious power and it is running on a GT42R turbo kit.

seth98esT
12-12-2008, 11:43 PM
Why would he want to loose .4L of displacement? DOHC 4g64 > DOHC 4g63. If its not going to be so much of a street car, a GT40R with your built motor would be pretty rediculous. Im sure even with the GT35R, you could net near 500whp.

Gtorque
12-13-2008, 10:11 AM
For a 600WHP goal, you should look into an entire Evo motor swap. Just look at what the Drag Evo on www.amsperformance.com (http://www.amsperformance.com) has. That is some serious power and it is running on a GT42R turbo kit.

ya ive seen the evo from AMS and it is serious.But most of the evos kill for are block.im just gonna stick with the head swap build.

Gtorque
12-13-2008, 10:15 AM
Why would he want to loose .4L of displacement? DOHC 4g64 > DOHC 4g63. If its not going to be so much of a street car, a GT40R with your built motor would be pretty rediculous. Im sure even with the GT35R, you could net near 500whp.

by rediculous...do you mean this in a good way? so a GT35R would be great for a street car and power gain?the evo down here from CFT is running a GT40R and its street use to.

Stewi
12-13-2008, 10:53 AM
by rediculous...do you mean this in a good way? so a GT35R would be great for a street car and power gain?the evo down here from CFT is running a GT40R and its street use to.

you could run a GT40R on a EVO 2.0 liter motor because the turbo wont spool until about 5500 RPMS and then you can rev to 9500 RPMS. Alot of EVO's make their power wayyy up high in the RPM band. A 2.4 motor and a 50 trim or even a 35R is a nice combo for a street/track setup. The 35R is a very good turbo and you can make good power with it. I have seen 35R powered cars make over 600whp on race gas and a good tune. Since your in orlando, im guessing you want the microtech ECU because of the guys at CFT, I know they swear by that thing. Personally, for sake of simplicity and available info, I would go with AEM EMS. The reason is its been done, I run it in my 8g, a few club3g members run it and a majority of the high powered EVO's run it as well. I will tell you one thing for certain, the eclipse manual tranny does not like revving high. That was the main reason I went 2.4, it was nice to rev to 9k on my old motor, but my synchros were taking a beating.

seth98esT
12-13-2008, 12:48 PM
Rediculous in a good way. It would spool better on your 2.4 then it would on the Evo 2.0. You have the Level 10 trans correct? How is that treating you? Ive heard a lot of bad things about them back in the day, but havent heard much about them lately.

How about the GT3582R
http://www.atpturbo.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=GRT-TBO-006&Category_Code=GRT

Gtorque
12-13-2008, 12:53 PM
you could run a GT40R on a EVO 2.0 liter motor because the turbo wont spool until about 5500 RPMS and then you can rev to 9500 RPMS. Alot of EVO's make their power wayyy up high in the RPM band. A 2.4 motor and a 50 trim or even a 35R is a nice combo for a street/track setup. The 35R is a very good turbo and you can make good power with it. I have seen 35R powered cars make over 600whp on race gas and a good tune. Since your in orlando, im guessing you want the microtech ECU because of the guys at CFT, I know they swear by that thing. Personally, for sake of simplicity and available info, I would go with AEM EMS. The reason is its been done, I run it in my 8g, a few club3g members run it and a majority of the high powered EVO's run it as well. I will tell you one thing for certain, the eclipse manual tranny does not like revving high. That was the main reason I went 2.4, it was nice to rev to 9k on my old motor, but my synchros were taking a beating.

ok i understand now...with my head swap built how much do you think i would be able to rev at

Gtorque
12-13-2008, 12:56 PM
Rediculous in a good way. It would spool better on your 2.4 then it would on the Evo 2.0. You have the Level 10 trans correct? How is that treating you? Ive heard a lot of bad things about them back in the day, but havent heard much about them lately.

How about the GT3582R
http://www.atpturbo.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=GRT-TBO-006&Category_Code=GRT

really??you heard alot of bad things about them...like wat?

the trannys pretty good man the only thing is that it slips alittle on 3rd switching to 4th..i called them and said it sounds like it could be an electrical problem..imma get that AEM that Stewi was taking about.get it tuned and then see if it still has that problem.

Stewi
12-13-2008, 01:53 PM
ok i understand now...with my head swap built how much do you think i would be able to rev at

if the head is built you can rev safely to 7500 RPMS, your powerband will be from roughly 3800-7500 RPMS.

Gtorque
12-13-2008, 02:40 PM
alright thanks

Gtorque
12-17-2008, 03:24 PM
so what do you recommend for the 35R..like what brand, does it really matter or what. i was looking at the turbonetics GT-Ks.anyone know if theyR any good?

platano
12-17-2008, 09:53 PM
B...get a Greddy T78. thats good for at least 700hp dude.

Gtorque
12-17-2008, 09:58 PM
kool ill look into it bro thanks

anyone else have any suggestions with greddy,garrett,turbonetics,etc.??

qnz
12-17-2008, 11:21 PM
theyre all the same basically. they all use Garrett CHRAs.

Stewi
12-18-2008, 06:09 PM
theyre all the same basically. they all use Garrett CHRAs.

pretty much..I heard mixed reviews about turbonetics customer service and support. I have first hand experience with precision turbo and they were always great in terms of service and support. I sent my SC61 in for a rebuild after I torched the motor and it was rebuilt and shipped back within 3 days and I wasnt sold shit i didnt need.

Gtorque
12-28-2008, 04:04 PM
precision SC61 is the turbo im looking to get for my G... hows that turbo treating you Stewi? is it a good choice?

is it ball bearing?

Stewi
12-28-2008, 11:54 PM
precision SC61 is the turbo im looking to get for my G... hows that turbo treating you Stewi? is it a good choice?

is it ball bearing?

no its not

its a standard 360 journal bearing.

The turbo works great, spools nice, boost hits hard and pulls hard to redline. I should have dyno #'s in april or may with this turbo, that is if I dont get a bigger one before then. I kinda want to hold off on going bigger until I can see what this one makes.

Gtorque
12-29-2008, 07:36 AM
oh.. do you know what precision turbo would be good with ball bearing for are G..or how much hp can it holds?

Stewi
12-29-2008, 03:25 PM
it depends on how HP you want to make and what you want to do with the car, road race, drag race, mostly strett driving with occasional drag, etc. Precision makes BB turbos 250hp to 2,000hp, gotta just know what you want it to do.