PDA

View Full Version : Does 18's fit without a problem??

Galant Ryder
01-29-2003, 02:41 PM
Hey guys. its been a while since ive posted. im really getting tired of my 7G due to problems with it. im looking to get a 8G. i really want new chrome rims but im waiting for my new car to get them. no use hooking up a car you dont want anymore. i wanted to konw if 18's fit with out any problems? or do you have to modify stuff? also can i drop my car bout an inch and a 1/2 if i have 18's? lemme know you input guys. pretty much my question is should i get 18's or stick with 17's?

P.S. i usually pack my car alot with people and cargo. not in the same time though. just something you guys should take into mind. i would really appriciate the info guys thanx. :!:

pinoyesv6
01-29-2003, 02:44 PM
you should be fine with the 18's as long as u don't go too wide 7.5 inches is just fine. and u stay close to the +46mm offset. uhm danj was talking about how he rubs a lil bit with his wheels with a camber kit. without a camber kit, the wheels are a lil slanted and tuck fine under the fender so no rubbing.

Danger DANJ
01-30-2003, 08:15 PM
Yeah, Pinoy is right. I've got 18x7.5" rims with a +42mm offset, 225/40 tires and dropped 2.25" up front and 1.8" in the rear with Progress springs. The rear rubs slightly once in a while, but others with the same kind of setup don't rub and the only difference is usually that they don't have camber kits.

Khopari
01-30-2003, 08:25 PM
they should be aight cause a long time ago i seen 20 on galant,, if you search on it you might still find it...............

Galant Ryder
01-30-2003, 10:11 PM
thanx guys but do you all pack your cars full..??? i dont want to have to sacrafice cargo room in order for my car not to rub. lets say i have my car full with 5 people and a full trunk. will it rub? or at least just 5 people with moderate storage in the trunk? keep in mind i want to drop it at the most 2 inches.. i want to see a 1 inch or less gap in an empty car

Auto-9
01-31-2003, 01:04 AM
I dunno, having a full load stinks in my experiences...I scrape alot...but since I don't have new rims I don't rub.

CWolf
01-31-2003, 10:35 AM
18's should be fine, but if you load up your car that much, I don't know if I would drop it a whole lot.

Danger DANJ
02-01-2003, 12:34 AM
As far as rubbing with a full load, I normally don't have alot of people in the car. I recently traded my chrome 17's for the GTZ rims and I drove half way (2 hrs.) to meet the person I was trading with. So, I had two heavy ass 17's in the trunk plus two in the back seat and a front passanger. I'd say it was a pretty loaded car and I didn't rub too much more than normally.

SimoP
02-10-2003, 08:33 AM
Did you ever get an anwer to this one? I'm thinking just the same question, going to lower my galant 1.5" from front and 1" from back, and putting 225/40/18's under it. Other tire size I've been thinking of is 225/45/17 and it's not that much smaller after all..

I also don't want to sacrifice any room in my car, after all it is a 5 seater https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/wink.gif

pinoyesv6
02-10-2003, 08:56 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SimoP)</div><div class='quotemain'>Did you ever get an anwer to this one? I'm thinking just the same question, going to lower my galant 1.5" from front and 1" from back, and putting 225/40/18's under it. Â*

I also don't want to sacrifice any room in my car, after all it is a 5 seater https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/wink.gif</div>

scrolling up and check for replies does help...

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Danger DANJ)</div><div class='quotemain'>Yeah, Pinoy is right. I've got 18x7.5" rims with a +42mm offset, 225/40 tires and dropped 2.25" up front and 1.8" in the rear with Progress springs. The rear rubs slightly once in a while, but others with the same kind of setup don't rub and the only difference is usually that they don't have camber kits.</div>

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Danger DANJ)</div><div class='quotemain'>As far as rubbing with a full load, I normally don't have alot of people in the car. I recently traded my chrome 17's for the GTZ rims and I drove half way (2 hrs.) to meet the person I was trading with. So, I had two heavy ass 17's in the trunk plus two in the back seat and a front passanger. I'd say it was a pretty loaded car and I didn't rub too much more than normally.</div>

SimoP
02-10-2003, 09:51 AM
Yup, did read all those, but still feel a little uncomfortable due to so many opinions:) Maybe I just have to have guts enough to try them.

99BabyBenz-aka Herb
02-12-2003, 11:39 AM
18's fit perfect, No problem, still needs to be dropped though

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid47/p48e63afc4d0b4d86e7afba4416aed3cc/fcc2d6c4.jpg

Reelax
02-12-2003, 12:32 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SimoP)</div><div class='quotemain'>Yup, did read all those, but still feel a little uncomfortable due to so many opinions:) Maybe I just have to have guts enough to try them.</div>

ok the definitive answer... and this is from experience and from the "matching" size sheets and specs from wheel manufacturers:

18x7.5 +45mm 225/40zr18 is the optimal size for wheels and tires in 18" on our 8G galants. of course you can go a little wider or narrower and can stray further from the +46mm OE offset as width allows, but that is the BASELINE.

i happen to have 18x7.5 +45 225/40zr18 dropped almost 2.5". i have had 4 different brands of tires at this point (been dropped on 18's since 1999 w/ at least 50K miles on this setup) and have NEVER rubbed.

proof is in the pics right?

http://www.raniworld.com/RAAA/10blue.jpg
http://www.raniworld.com/RAAA/10bigwheel.jpg
http://www.raniworld.com/RAAA/10tuckback.jpg

antmoneygtz
02-20-2003, 03:15 PM
wat up guyz... i bought 18x8 konig appealz about a month ago... only reason why i didnt put them on yet is cuz of all da snow... u guyz think ill have any problems... and what about if i drop the front about a 1 1/2 inches... not the back cuz i gotta system in there... any info would be awsome thanx guys...

Danger DANJ
02-20-2003, 07:33 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(antmoneygtz)</div><div class='quotemain'>wat up guyz... i bought 18x8 konig appealz about a month ago... only reason why i didnt put them on yet is cuz of all da snow... u guyz think ill have any problems... and what about if i drop the front about a 1 1/2 inches... not the back cuz i gotta system in there... any info would be awsome thanx guys...</div>

That really depends on the offset. If your close to a +45mm offset, you should be fine. The front has plenty of room from rubbing, and since you aren't dropping in the rear, you should be cool there too.