PDA

View Full Version : 70mm throttle body ?'s

Black2k1GTZ
08-18-2002, 09:58 PM
I'm gonna be ordering the RPW 70mm throttle body in the next week or so. When I go to install it I was wondering if the coolant bypass mod would still apply to an aftermarket TB. Also is it a pretty straight forward install??? Any special tools involved or needed????

Marc :mg:

TJC
08-18-2002, 10:14 PM
4 bolts, very straight forward. 20 min. install tops. Only thing is I hope it accommodates the stock TPS, and make sure you test and write down what the stock TPS resistance reads before you remove it from the TB (I believe between pins 1 & 3). I also remember Dave saying they include the new 70mm gasket too.

For a smoother transition between the new 70mm TB opening, you might want to think about boring out the intake plenum too while you're at it. The plenum will take much longer to remove, not to mention the time to bore it out.

Oh, and if you want to do the coolant bypass on the TB, get yourself 2 feet of 3/8" hose and cut down to 18" for the mod. Just replace the two short hoses that go to the TB with the one new one. You can also upgrade the cheap factory hose clamps with real hose clamps, lol.

Black2k1GTZ
08-18-2002, 11:02 PM
Thanks bro...appreciate the 411! What kind of performance gains can I expect!!

Tiller
08-18-2002, 11:11 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Black2k1GTZ)</div><div class='quotemain'>Thanks bro...appreciate the 411! Â* What kind of performance gains can I expect!!

Marc :mg:</div>

2-10hp, but to get that top number you'll have to have the intake ported as TJC mentioned...

It's not anything you will notice ALOT, but it lays groundwork if you later decide to go the FI route...

Black2k1GTZ
08-18-2002, 11:16 PM
yeah thats hwat im looking to do. Im doing that then im getting the headers and exhaust piping and hi-flow cat...then hopefully the RPW port and polished head!!

TJC
08-18-2002, 11:23 PM
Not much gains noticed but what I did notice was that my engine is smoother in really low rpms. That's when it dips to 500 or 600 rpms, it's stable and doesn't get rough idling, lol. I've kicked the idle up since but that's all I've noticed. It's hard to say too because I've did the DP just about the same time. DP was noticable but TB upgrade was not. Maybe at high rpms, it does breath a little better. I'm sure it does but the gains are definitely not that noticable. No base runs or anything like track runs to verify anything either, lol. FYI, I only have the 62mm TB (up from 60mm). I'm sure you'll feel more gains than I did once you bore out the intake plenum to match. 70mm is a big difference from stock :wink: