PDA

View Full Version : car idles low then turns off during stops.

Galant Ryder
01-29-2003, 02:57 PM
hey guys. im having a similar problem as BLsGalant97 is having. my car idles very low and starts to shake when i come to some stops. and if i dont hold the brake hard enough the car will shake and then shut off. does anyone have any ideas? i cleaned my throttle body already and it still does it. this is really getting on my nerves. Any luck finding out how they fixed your problem PinoyESV6? i really want to get this problem out of the way. its very annoying. thanx guys. :?:

pinoyesv6
01-29-2003, 03:00 PM
u try cleaning out the throttle body? that was the main problem with mine.

LantBoy
01-29-2003, 03:18 PM
hey I just had that problem man. just got my car back yesterday for that and gettin brakes put on. DO NOT touch your idle screw by the throttle body. Try tightening your throttle body cable. If that doesnt work take it too a mechanic and tell him your IAC needs tuned. try to ASAP before you ruin your idle system in your computer and that will cause your idle circuit too fail and then u will have too buy a new computer. hope I helped.....and let me know how it goes.

Galant Ryder
01-29-2003, 03:34 PM
well when i cleaned my throttle body, hopefully they cleaned it correctly. they took the idle screw out i believe. then he had my drive around to get my car warm and he set it back in place. I FORGOT TO MENTION THAT THIS ONLY HAPPENS WHEN I FIRST START THE CAR...usually when its cold, even when its warm for the first 15-20 min. then everything is cool. but that turning off while its cold /warm is very annoying and really should happen.

does this change anything?

pinoyesv6
01-29-2003, 03:40 PM
i know this might not help but check out ur MAS. make sure thats clean too.

manybrews
01-29-2003, 07:26 PM
okay heres a few things.
DONT touch any of the adjustments on the throttle body. if you have already, youve probably screwed them up..
second, clean the throttle body (if you havent already) with a high quality carb/throttle plate cleaner.
third, if it happens only when cold, there is a chance your trans fluid is low. if the fluid is low, the torque converter clutch will try to engage, forcably stalling the engine. It may happen less as the car warms as the fluid expands quite a bit. so if youre at the point where the fluid is "just a little" low, it may be enough.

to check the fluid, warm the car up, and check the trans dipstick ONLY IN NUETRAL!

JiP
01-29-2003, 07:36 PM
How do you "tune" an IAC? never heard of that one before.

If you dont hold the break hardenough it will shut off? never heard of anything like that either.

Make sure also that your MAS connector is plugged in, that will cause your idle to suck and shutdown ur engine.

Any CE lights comin on?

Galant Ryder
01-29-2003, 11:36 PM
well i just checked my Transmission fluid and yes it is extremely low. ill fill it back up tomorrow and see what happens. but my question now is should i get my tranny flushed since it has been running pretty much on nothing. or will filling it back up be fine??

maybe thats why when my car is cold/warm and i step on the gas, sometimes nothing happens and then all of a sudden i get a big bang and i get thrown. hopefully this will fix all my problems.. this time aroud that is. thanx

yes i know it sounds weird stepping on the breaks but it works. it stopped my car from turing off so it was all good with me.

JiP
01-29-2003, 11:49 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Galant Ryder)</div><div class='quotemain'>maybe thats why when my car is cold/warm and i step on the gas, sometimes nothing happens and then all of a sudden i get a big bang and i get thrown. hopefully this will fix all my problems.. this time aroud that is. </div>

Thaty'll happen with low fluid, not givin the hydrolics enough to get the pressure they need to work. As far as the idling problem, I guess we'll see when you fill it up. Good luck!

manybrews
01-30-2003, 05:05 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Galant Ryder)</div><div class='quotemain'>well i just checked my Transmission fluid and yes it is extremely low. ill fill it back up tomorrow and see what happens. but my question now is should i get my tranny flushed since it has been running pretty much on nothing. or will filling it back up be fine?? Â*

maybe thats why when my car is cold/warm and i step on the gas, sometimes nothing happens and then all of a sudden i get a big bang and i get thrown. hopefully this will fix all my problems.. this time aroud that is. thanx

yes i know it sounds weird stepping on the breaks but it works. it stopped my car from turing off so it was all good with me.</div>
yes, i heartily recommend a trans flush..

and once again i must stress check it running in NUETRAL only! checking it in park will show about 2 quarts more than are actually in the engine.

by the way, if its low its either 1)leaking, or 2)its been drained and refilled incorrectly.

if you have a leak, i strongly suggest fixing it. a trans thats low on fluid will fail quickly.

BLsGalant97
02-03-2003, 02:25 PM
Yeah my problem was similar...but for some reason it just stopped out of no where (knock on wood) My car has been fine for like 2 months now.

The only thing that i can think of is i had my speedometer fixed because the senseor broke...after that i stopped idling low at stop lights... :roll:

RMG612
02-05-2003, 09:17 AM
MY car is in the shop right now for the same exact problem im waiting to see what they say.

I had the trans flushed to and it made no difference at all.

MistaMits
02-05-2003, 09:25 AM
my car would shake and acted like it wanted to turn off at stops, the mechanic replaced the wires coming from the distributer cap, and then it was ok. i still get a thumping noise when i try to accelerate hard.

RMG612
02-06-2003, 10:43 AM
Shop called and they cant see anything immediately cause its showing no error codes and its not something visibly wrong.

So now i wait another day....

QnzMostWanted
02-06-2003, 12:05 PM
have them check ur tranny fluid level

RMG612
02-06-2003, 12:27 PM
as posted before i just had it flushed to see if that was the cause and it wasnt.

QnzMostWanted
02-07-2003, 08:47 AM
could be a vacuum leak, but u never know

BLsGalant97
02-07-2003, 06:28 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(BLsGalant97)</div><div class='quotemain'>Yeah my problem was similar...but for some reason it just stopped out of no where (knock on wood) Â*My car has been fine for like 2 months now. Â*

The only thing that i can think of is i had my speedometer fixed because the senseor broke...after that i stopped idling low at stop lights... :roll:</div>

Dammit!!! I jinxed myself!!!!!! What happened today??? As i look down at my speedo, i noticed as it plummited to 0 while i was doinf 20MPH and stops totally AGAIN!!! ANd then my car idles extremly low and my radio turns off (maybe this can be a clue??) And idles low until i turn off my heat/defroster. UNBELIEVEABLE!!!! :x :x

rfpa1
02-21-2003, 01:59 PM
Iam beginning to think that this is a problem related to the Alternator. Mine have been sufering from all kinds of problems (reached 146000). Last november my car started to do the same thing, no errors, no nothing, until I got into traffic jam and at one point it just quit. Have to wait to be pushed to the side. Jump started and it worked fine for a while. Found out that the alternator was bad (althought it passed the basic test done at stores), I took the alternator out an tok it to an alternator repair place and found the rectifier and front bearings were bad. Now the electric seems ok, but still hesitates.

At least check the alternator.

95vegasgalant
02-21-2003, 09:51 PM
:twisted: Mine did the same thing it was the idle control motor I did it myself but it was 250 bucks but it got better if you dont wanna buy it take it apart and clean it with carb cleaner :twisted: