PDA

View Full Version : P/S delete?

Gtorque
12-15-2008, 07:19 AM
hey i was thinking of taking my power steering out just to see if i can deal without it...and for a little weight reduction.im sorry if this has been discused already but i searched on the site.

does anyone know if it would damage anything if i do take it out?

i already deleted my A/C, what is the proper way to take out the p/s aswell?

polishmafia
12-15-2008, 08:04 AM
Seriously?

Weight savings are negligible, and you lose power steering. Unless you are building a full on track car, I wouldn't do it.

JoeRad
12-15-2008, 08:05 AM
i got towed a short distance with no P/S trust me you need it!

kildaremike
12-15-2008, 08:15 AM
i got towed a short distance with no P/S trust me you need it!

Thats because the system was still pressurised. If you remove the system its just like driving an older car, but I would still leave it in.

JoeRad
12-15-2008, 08:21 AM
LoL also had the key out and the steering lock engaged going around a roundabout

RAZ_76
12-15-2008, 08:55 AM
I removed mine once and I put it back on quickly. It will nor weight reduce nothing dude, seriously. Have fun with parallel parking or maneuvers that require a lot of steering. This is one of those things, you don't miss it until its gone. My advice, lose the fat girlfriend for weight reduction and leave the PS alone.

Boosted
12-15-2008, 10:26 AM
Don't remove the PS. We have a parts truck at work that doesn't have it. It is a real pain in the ass if you remove the PS, especially when you have a difficult place to fit your car in between or park.

DOHCstunr
12-15-2008, 10:40 AM
Here is the deal.

The only way to reduce weight and actually delete your power steering is with a manual steering rack.

See if you just delete your pump,
you still have the hydraulic ram in your rack.
and every time you turn the wheel you not only have to overcome the resistance of the steering linkage,
but you have to use your own strenght to move the hydraulic fluid through the ram to get your wheels to turn.
What makes powersteering heavy is the power steering rack.

But i don't think there were ANY 3g or 8g cars without power steering so you really don't have an option here.
just leave it alone.

Gtorque
12-15-2008, 01:05 PM
its staying on lol

Shadow19
12-15-2008, 02:58 PM
OMG. My PS bracket busted on me my first and only time on the track and i was an hour away from home on a very curvy road. Even at like 55 MPH it was still stiff as hell. I would not recommend anyone removing their P/S assembly unless its a drag car only. Why not compensate for the "loss" due to power steering? Its maybe a 2hp gain which wouldnt be noticeable.

Stewi
12-15-2008, 08:48 PM
I say keep it all, A/C and all.

Gtorque
12-15-2008, 09:13 PM
true...but i already have my A/C off...i dont use it anyway..got that 460 haha

DOHCstunr
12-15-2008, 09:31 PM
I took my A/C out of my black care, core and all.
every single piece of it. Translated to some decent weight savings, but better yet,
cleaned up my engine bay dramatically, also gave me wrench space in some normally tight areas. Of course a simpler engine bay, means potentially less labor time for service if working around the a/c lines or compressor or any part of it really.
Also not having a condensor in front of the radiator means more airflow to the radiator.

I did however leave it in the white car. It has been a pain in the ass lol.
it works. Hooray, but i rarely use it if ever. Even in direct sun, 99* while being stuck in gridlock.

Gtorque
12-15-2008, 09:39 PM
and thats exactly why i got rid of mine to.....its great for those that dont care for it

Boosted
12-16-2008, 09:36 PM
For me, I only need the heat for the winter season. The A/C is useless for me because I always have my windows rolled down. It is just how I ride. :D

RAZ_76
12-16-2008, 10:56 PM
I removed my AC too last year, thinking and talking the same way you guys are, I rolled my windows down too but it made no difference in 100+ degrees and after 10 minutes of driving and I'd get out to be trenched in sweat. It took me 15 minutes to put it back in. I know I went from 17.9 on 1/4 mile to 17.91 :smile:, it slowed me down tremendously but sweating was no fun folks.

Exhaust power
12-16-2008, 11:43 PM
Ive talken to my teacher about power steering i personally just want it alittle more tougher to turn without eliminnating it. he told me theres a spring in the power steering pump and if theres eney car that has a tougher feeling to turning and shares the same size pump a spring swap would be possible. Im still going to do more research cause i havent drivin eney other car that has tougher steering with similer parts but ill start looking towerds lancers and evos.

underated
12-17-2008, 12:55 AM
if anyone is hell bent on removing the P/S system drain most of the fluid out of the rack, loops the lines with a breather attached and the resistance is 70% gone. cars made without P/S have different steering ratios then car with P/S that makes a difference also, this big ass car was meant to have P/S lol.

starh4x
12-17-2008, 03:04 AM
I removed my AC too last year, thinking and talking the same way you guys are, I rolled my windows down too but it made no difference in 100+ degrees and after 10 minutes of driving and I'd get out to be trenched in sweat. It took me 15 minutes to put it back in. I know I went from 17.9 on 1/4 mile to 17.91 :smile:, it slowed me down tremendously but sweating was no fun folks.

over 80kms per hour its more effiecient to use aircon than roll down ur windows due to aerodynamics, (or lack of them with ur windows down).

google search hypermiling

boostzealot
12-17-2008, 01:18 PM
sighs. ive been driving without P/S for over a year now and have made every turn and parking maneuver with no problem. its really up to you but like underated said, the way i was telling everyone to do it is to remove the entire system forward of the rack itself and loop the pressure line into the return line hose on the rack. this keeps it lubricated and takes away the pain of having to push all the fluid back through the entire system. its easy really and is not that needed. the entire system sans rack weighed in at 35lbs all together (pump, lines, hardware, cooler, res, and the fluid that filled those components). i was told by three seasoned track officials/instructors that i would pick up another two seconds on my autocross runs if i had P/S. but i was still in the middle of the field when it came to times and considering the cars i was up against, that was still really good.

Gtorque
12-17-2008, 01:41 PM
how do i find a picture of all the p/s parts model that way i know exactly what your talking about with looping and all?

blkg01
12-23-2008, 07:49 AM
Do U have Mitsubishi CAPS ? if not you can google or search around here. Its basically a parts lookup program.