PDA

View Full Version : So... Im going to be 4g63t swapped sometime next year! A few questions though

Shadow19
12-23-2008, 06:56 PM
So... when i bought my 1g my original plan was to just get the motor and ditch the rest of the car but since the car is in such good condition i cant see myself doing that. I was talking to someone a few months ago about swapping the 63t in the galant and putting the 64 in the eclipse and i was told the flywheels were different in size and whatnot. Well.. After talking to my friend tonight we decided that it was complete BS and that they HAD to be the same size and everything or else the 63t swap in the galant using the 64 transmission wouldnt be possible.. SO.. Since i have my girlfriends 2g turbo ripped apart in mt garage (7 bolt 63t same flywheel as i used in my car) i decided to take some "measurements" and see how this would add up... Well lets just say whoever told me they were different flywheels other than the bolt count was full of shit. They are IDENTICAL. The tooth pitch and count is the exact same as well as the circumference of it. In a nutshell my plan is to swap the 63t in the galant and put the 64 in the eclipse and make it DOHC that way i dont have to fuck with too much wiring. So my real questions is for those who have experience with swapping the 63 in the galant are:

You guys run the 2g turbo ecu right?

What do you do about wiring it up? New harness or splicing in the pig tails?

I know the 1g ignition system is different than the 2g so should i just go ahead and buy 2g coil packs and transistor and whatever else is needed? Or is there a way to wire it in? (my 1g is a 90 so i know there are differences in stuff like that from 91+)

Also what do you guys do about the difference in the 1g CAS and the 2g CAS?

Here are my plans for the build motor wise:

Eagle rods, wiseco pistons, BC 272 cams, BC retainers and springs, arp head and main studs, and a 16g turbo which i already have. Ill have all oil clerances checked on the bearings and whatever else you have to do to "blueprint" the motor. Ill probably do a little porting on the head but not much (hand port with a dremel tool)... Im sure there will be more down the line but thats pretty much it in a nut shell.

Let me know what you guys think. Ill keep it updated because im so excited about this its not even funny!

seth98esT
12-23-2008, 08:06 PM
The AWD flywheel is smaller in diameter then the 7bolt. So of course the 7g trans will fit on a 6bolt AWD flywheel, but you will have issues with the starter engaging properly. You need a 6bolt FWD flywheel with a FWD trans.

If your car is a 94/95 a 1g ECU is easier to swap to. If you are using a 96-98, a 2g ECU is easier to swap to.

If I had to do the ECU swap again, I would buy a boomslang harness and just mod the OEM harness as needed. ORRRR pull the harness entirely and rewire the entire thing. Either way, I would probably use a 7g harness.
Yes you need the coil pack and power transistor.

1g CAS is adjustable, 2g CAS is not.

Shadow19
12-23-2008, 08:11 PM
The AWD flywheel is smaller in diameter then the 7bolt. So of course the 7g trans will fit on a 6bolt AWD flywheel, but you will have issues with the starter engaging properly. You need a 6bolt FWD flywheel with a FWD trans.

If your car is a 94/95 a 1g ECU is easier to swap to. If you are using a 96-98, a 2g ECU is easier to swap to.

If I had to do the ECU swap again, I would buy a boomslang harness and just mod the OEM harness as needed. ORRRR pull the harness entirely and rewire the entire thing. Either way, I would probably use a 7g harness.
Yes you need the coil pack and power transistor.

1g CAS is adjustable, 2g CAS is not.

So pretty much i need to get a 2g ECU because my car is a 97 along with the wiring harness? Also my 1g isnt AWD its FWD.

DOHCstunr
12-23-2008, 10:51 PM
I would go with an EVO8 ecu. over a 2g ecu.

Galant306m
12-24-2008, 01:14 AM
Good luck to you Shadow. Just make sure to watch my build which should help you along the way.

DOHCstunr
12-24-2008, 01:43 AM
can't put a 2g/7g block in a 1g because there is no provision for motor mounts on the 7g/2g block.

Blue Ice
12-24-2008, 07:53 PM
can't put a 2g/7g block in a 1g because there is no provision for motor mounts on the 7g/2g block.
Actually, would he be able to take the mounts off the 1g and put them on the 64 block, just like he would have to take the 7g mounts of the and put them on the the 63 block?

I would go with an EVO8 ecu. over a 2g ecu.
Is there a ton of supported info for this ECU swap? I read that other thread that talks about EVO8 ecu in a 2g, but they were still trying to debug it last i read.

So pretty much i need to get a 2g ECU because my car is a 97 along with the wiring harness? Also my 1g isnt AWD its FWD.

If you go with the 2g ECU; Since your car is a 97 you'll only need a few things to do the swap. The Coil pack which i think the 1g will work, but the power transistor needs to be from a 2g.

You'll need the ecu diagrams for both 7.5G and 2g mainly to compare wire colors for pin locations. You can use the same pin location from instructions, but i always double checked the wire color against the 7g diagram to make sure i was working with the right wires. Note that between the two ecu diagrams they number half of them differently, but they are the same location physically. The first two pig tails; 1 - 48(i think) are the same. The second two are exactly 30 off and flip flopped numerically. this will come into play when finding the pin locations for the Cam angle sensor and the crank angle sensor.

As for how to wire in your 1g using your CAS i suggest you read this through a few times. Basically you'll wire your car like it's going to be a 2g, and then make these changes. All the problems i ran into from not starting to my "fuel cut" problems are all diagnosed by Magnus Motorsports.
http://www.magnusmotorsports.com/tech/1gina2g.pdf

let me know if you have any questions when you do get started.

Blue Ice
12-24-2008, 08:12 PM
ok, so after checking pin 1- 46 are the same. 2g pins 51-62 = 7g pins 81-92and 2g pins 71-92 = 7g pins 51-72

Shadow19
12-24-2008, 08:23 PM
Ill be using this thread as helpful info along the way.. But seeing that i cant swap the 64 into the eclipse then i may not do it.. I just cant let the 1g go but idk.. Im still unsure. Ive put my heart and soul into the galant.....

seth98esT
12-24-2008, 08:29 PM
Rebuild the '64 for boost and DOHC y0.

4g64 > 4g63

DOHCstunr
12-25-2008, 08:28 AM
but when you put a 1g engine into a 7g.... you are using the front and rear mount that are already on the transmission...

but on the 1g and 6g cars... the front and rear mounts. actually bolt to the block itself. and the transmission in a 1g/6g only has the one mount on top of it.

so if he was to take the 7g motor and put it in the 1g engine bay....
literally all he would have is the drivers and passenger's side mounts.
and thats it.
because there would be no way to bolt the mounts to the 7g block.

Shadow19
12-25-2008, 09:14 AM
but when you put a 1g engine into a 7g.... you are using the front and rear mount that are already on the transmission...

but on the 1g and 6g cars... the front and rear mounts. actually bolt to the block itself. and the transmission in a 1g/6g only has the one mount on top of it.

so if he was to take the 7g motor and put it in the 1g engine bay....
literally all he would have is the drivers and passenger's side mounts.
and thats it.
because there would be no way to bolt the mounts to the 7g block.

Im still undecided on this guys. I love the 1g. I really do. Its in very good condition for the year it is but i dont want to ditch it. Im thinking i can part it out though. it has some nice shit like turbo back thermal race and design catback and other shit i can make money off of.. IDK. Once i build the motor im gonna have to make the decision... the whole 64 block not working on the 1g just SUCKS! Maybe i can find a cheap N/A 2.0 DOHC motor to drop in the 1g and ill have the 64 as a back up incase i blow something up LOL.. The Galant with a 63t would be SO BAD ASS! UGHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

panda
12-25-2008, 10:37 PM
do the swap man.. rare and walking dudes with the go-not would be awesome. id actually love to see it boosted with the 4g63 in it.

B19WHEELS
12-26-2008, 03:19 PM
The swap is ok,but honestly if u have emissions in your area i would do a built 64 bottom end with a 2g head and intake mani!! Nobody will ever look at your block to see if its a 63 or 64 anyways.. A built 64 with 2g head is easier and you still dont have to worry about crankwalk!!! Im working on 2 built 64 bottom ends right now both going in Galants!! I would also choose the evo 8 ecu or the 2g if u have the skills to do the wiring. I got a Evo ecu for 85 shipped on Evolutionm, and yes Magnus has already done the Evo ecu in a 2g and got all the bugs worked out.

Shadow19
12-26-2008, 03:25 PM
The swap is ok,but honestly if u have emissions in your area i would do a built 64 bottom end with a 2g head and intake mani!! Nobody will ever look at your block to see if its a 63 or 64 anyways.. A built 64 with 2g head is easier and you still dont have to worry about crankwalk!!! Im working on 2 built 64 bottom ends right now both going in Galants!! I would also choose the evo 8 ecu or the 2g if u have the skills to do the wiring. I got a Evo ecu for 85 shipped on Evolutionm, and yes Magnus has already done the Evo ecu in a 2g and got all the bugs worked out.

Im not good with wiring at all! But i have a buddy that can help me out. We dont have emissions here in SC so i think ill build the 63 and just keep the 64 completely in tact incase anything were to ever happen ill have a back up motor.

B19WHEELS
12-26-2008, 06:29 PM
Im not good with wiring at all! But i have a buddy that can help me out. We dont have emissions here in SC so i think ill build the 63 and just keep the 64 completely in tact incase anything were to ever happen ill have a back up motor.

Once u put the 63 in u will never go back with the 64 quit fooling yourself its just too much wiring and as u stated your not that good with wiring!!

Shadow19
12-26-2008, 07:03 PM
Once u put the 63 in u will never go back with the 64 quit fooling yourself its just too much wiring and as u stated your not that good with wiring!!

HEH! Well i mean lets say i put the motor in and something TERRIBLE happens ill HAVE to do something until id be able to rebuild it.

panda
12-27-2008, 08:53 AM
HEH! Well i mean lets say i put the motor in and something TERRIBLE happens ill HAVE to do something until id be able to rebuild it.

make sure you put everything in correctly lol.. remember the backwards things you do lol.. but take your time and put it in how it was suppose to go and nothing bad should happen.. then all you have to worry about is the wiring.. but when you do it. i want pictures and video damn it..

Shadow19
12-27-2008, 12:11 PM
make sure you put everything in correctly lol.. remember the backwards things you do lol.. but take your time and put it in how it was suppose to go and nothing bad should happen.. then all you have to worry about is the wiring.. but when you do it. i want pictures and video damn it..

You know youll be back before then. HAHA.. And yea it was my FIRST build ever. Its not like i fucked anything up big time. It still runs so shit im happy with that.

DOHCstunr
12-28-2008, 01:57 AM
The Galant with a 63t would be SO BAD ASS! UGHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

no

don't do it.

it's awful.

no fun at all.

Blue Ice
12-30-2008, 02:03 AM
yeah, my G is much less fun after doing my swap, i mean it sucks breaking traction all the time just cause you gave it a little too much gas. And who can stand all that acceleration... i mean really.

But all in all wiring was teadious, but only cause i kept thinking to myself "if i mess this up i could screw up the whole thing." but there are tutorials out there. I chose to open up my wiring harness and rewire it that way (which i don't suggest). if i were to do it all over i would simply add the wires i needed to the harness. far less work and chaos.