PDA

View Full Version : Performance on the 8G

Messiah
08-18-2002, 10:41 PM
Maybe it's me or it might the fact that the engine is still breaking-in, but my car's low-end torque feels rather wimpy. After about 3500 rpm I can feel a burst of power all the way to red line. Now, is that normal? and is there anything I can do to improve low-end torque.

Any help on this is appreciated.

Tiller
08-18-2002, 10:53 PM
not really unless you decide to add a supercharger...

adding headers will only amplify this dilemma, as they are tuned to give the biggest boost higher in the RPM band... you will gain more power down low too, but with the large increase up top, it's going to feel the same way...

like i said, add a SC and your low end power worries will be solved...

some people will tell you about the throttle cable adjustment, but that's not going to net you any noticable gains...

start with an intake (AEM, Injen) & an exhaust, and see what that does for you... preferably a 2.25" mandrel bent system, with a straight through muffler... maybe a 2.5", but that is going to make your low end suffer as well...

RedGalant2k1
08-19-2002, 02:02 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tiller)</div><div class='quotemain'>not really unless you decide to add a supercharger...

adding headers will only amplify this dilemma, as they are tuned to give the biggest boost higher in the RPM band... you will gain more power down low too, but with the large increase up top, it's going to feel the same way...

like i said, add a SC and your low end power worries will be solved...

some people will tell you about the throttle cable adjustment, but that's not going to net you any noticable gains... Â*

start with an intake (AEM, Injen) & an exhaust, and see what that does for you... preferably a 2.25" mandrel bent system, with a straight through muffler... maybe a 2.5", but that is going to make your low end suffer as well...</div>

Exactly.

Thats the powerband of the motor, its 'normal'. Like tiller said get a AEM CAI, and Cat-back those should give you noticeable gains but i'd stay with 2.25" mandrel bend unless you plan on getting boosted.

Auto-9
08-19-2002, 10:43 AM
Unless you try to go with the exact same setup as my car. Even then every car reacts a little differently to mods I think. My torque is amazing for me, I hit 170 foot-pounds at the wheels by 1800 RPM and it holds steady until about 4800 where it drops to about 150 and continues to fall to the redline, so I never have problems merging, passing, and sometimes humiliating. The falling torque is of no real concern for me, since by the time it starts to fall my horsepower numbers "take over" and keep me moving.

Messiah
08-19-2002, 05:06 PM
Alright....I figure it'd be normal, I just wanted to reassure myself that there was nothing wrong with my Pearlee..

Thanx guys