PDA

View Full Version : New Galant or No??

NOSMAN7G
01-30-2003, 03:57 PM
I was just wondering...I'm going to basic training in 3 weeks and When I get back I can afford more than what I am paying for car Payment. The questions is stick with the 98 (in great shape body and engine) or go to a newer galant like 2001 or 2002??? Would there be more possibilities with a V6?? What to do what to do...lol. Thanx

MidNightRacing
01-30-2003, 04:10 PM
if it was me Id go for a 2002, but I own the galant no payments. It depends ask your self how much you have left to pay on your current car. I say if its under 4.5g's stay wit it

NOSMAN7G
01-30-2003, 04:15 PM
I still owe about 7g's on it. I'm gonna look into this...lol. Find some info on 2002's. Do you know how much HP a V6 has??

MidNightRacing
01-30-2003, 05:12 PM
click n see all information

http://auto.consumerguide.com/auto/new/rev...650.htm#engines ('http://auto.consumerguide.com/auto/new/reviews/full/index.cfm/id/20650.htm#engines')

195 @ 5500 hp
205 @ 4000 Torque
On a DOHC V6

pinoyesv6
01-30-2003, 07:58 PM
go to the dealer and see how much ur gonna get for ur galant now. its not gonna be alot. so im thinking pay off this galant and just get another one. yea its gonna cost a lil bit more but then you'll have 2 cars...

NOSMAN7G
01-30-2003, 08:07 PM
I'm gonna go to the dealer tomarrow and see what I should do I just like the idea of a 3.0L V6 compared to my 2.4L...also I like the GTZ that Ripp Modds did...lol. A little off subject....Is the new galants body kit poly eurathane ( whatever its called:) ) or fiberglass?? Thanx again

Dark Anghell
01-30-2003, 09:29 PM
Personally I would stick with your galant right now, and the money you have left over can be sent to my address... https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif . No you don't have to send money, check will be fine. https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif

But seriously...save up the money. Have a good downpayment...and get a good car (R35 is coming to the states, so does the Lancer EVO). That's what I'm doing to my car...no more bodykits or new wheels.

Just to clarify myself I'm not saying that galant's suck...I like my car. https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif [/u]

ChromeGalant
01-30-2003, 10:38 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'>and get a good car </div>

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Jesse
01-31-2003, 04:37 PM
Ok, here's what you should do.

Get 5 speed transmission put into your galant from an eclipse GST fwd turbo.
Get an aftermarket clutch, suggest an ACT 2600
Do the head swap from a 1g or 2g eclipse/talon and use the ECU as well
Suggest aftermarket pistons, 1g big rods, and port everything from intake manifold to the 02 housing
Put all turbo parts from eclipse onto this car.

This would give you over 300HP guaranteed with a boost controller and your 1/4m times will be into the 13's. With a 25 shot of nitrous added in, you'll be into the 12's, and that my friend, would be a record setting USDM galant time.

Later
Jesse

NOSMAN7G
01-31-2003, 05:28 PM
Thanx Jesse...I was thinking about upgrading the tranny and clutch but wasn't sure whether to do it or not. Thats probaly one of the best upgrades I can do since going from first to 2nd it slips most of the time. Thanx for your input...What have you done to your G so far??

BEAST
01-31-2003, 06:17 PM
I agree with Jesse. Save all that money your gonna put towards a new car and throw it into your ride now. Or even just pay your car off. If you did get a newer car then you would be paying more money on that and wouldn't have as much to throw into mods. Hell if you wanna go with a 5 speed sell your 98 and get a nice 94 or 95 5 speed. It will be cheaper than your current car and you'll have even more money for mods. I have been thinking about doing that, but I really don't have any money for anything right now.

NOSMAN7G
01-31-2003, 06:38 PM
I already have a 5 spd I'm gonna get a new tranny and clutch as Jesse suggested and finish with the Body kit. Then after that I'll throw in NOS or turbo. Tranny and body kit for right now will leave me pretty broke..lol. Thanx for everyones input and when I get back I'll have to post some pics. :twisted:

Dark Anghell
01-31-2003, 09:09 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ChromeGalant)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'>and get a good car </div>

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:</div>
See what happens when you tell people the way you feel...and they say freedom of speech :cry: https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif .

I mean everyone can agree that Galant is no match for like a bimmer or a benz. Even more affordable cars like lexus or infinity or acura. I'm not saying that Galants are crap...personally i think people underestimate mitsu cars. I really like my car and there's agood chance that my next car will be a mitsubishi. But if I was getting paid more than what I get right now...I would consider stepping up to a different car, most likely a sports car like a Supra, RX-7, or NSX. Now everyone can agree that no matter how fast Galant is, the supra will get you more chicks, and better recognition among other people.

So my best suggestion is that if you really like galants or mitsubishi in general...get a new one. But if can't see yourself driving the Galant for another X-amount of years, wait. Your car is good the way it is. Plus your car's body style changed the very next year. Usually the cars rarely have any problems when they are last year production for certain body style, because factory takes care of all the little imperfections in the frame and the motor.

bstnsportsfan
02-04-2003, 05:25 PM
If I was going to go look into an 8g, I'd get a V6 ES. Then I'd do the JDM front end conversion. Looks badass IMO. I personally like the 8g style over the 7g. And if I had the money and wanted to stay with a galant, like I said above 8g JDM front end conversion, 18s, and then look into a Supercharger or turbo.

HiperSilver
02-04-2003, 09:07 PM
you want performance, get a damn DSM, with all the money you will spend in your galant u can have a DSM and not deal with the pain in the ass to swap a 5 speed, turbocharge, blah blah blah blah.

seth98esT
02-04-2003, 10:03 PM
nah guys alls he needs is a 4g63t and a 2g 5spd and hes set

screw buying another car, yours is fine! :biggrin:

thats not that much work at all!

NOSMAN7G
02-05-2003, 10:49 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(HiperSilver)</div><div class='quotemain'>you want performance, get a damn DSM, with all the money you will spend in your galant u can have a DSM and not deal with the pain in the ass to swap a 5 speed, turbocharge, blah blah blah blah.</div>

This is what we call a challenge. Yeah I could buy a DSM and not have to deal with the swap or anything like that but whats the fun in that. Too many people have hooked up civics, Nissans, Eclipse's ect. But how many times have you seen a 7g galant w/ a nice Turbo motor, NOS ect?? Its unique thats why I want to do it and thats most likely why everyone with a 7g is doing mods like these. https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif

HiperSilver
02-05-2003, 01:25 PM
well....considering that fact that a motor swap, tranny swap, and have everything tuned will cost an arm and a leg. I could be driving a 1g DSM and smoking the shit outta all the cars out there. plus 7g's are wrong wheel drive. I Like to look at it in a bang for buck perspective. Swap over the motor and tranny and you will be running somewhat close to a stock eclipse gs-t. and how much did you spend? No fun in driving an eclipse...there are about millions of things you can do to the eclipse , which is was makes it super fun to mod and drive it. I agree with the fact that 7g galants are unique and you dont see many, and i personally am in the process of turbocharging mine, but then again im getting everything for under a 1G. so i really cant complaiin. If i had the chance i would trade in the galant for a eclipse but i cant.

Jesse
02-05-2003, 03:15 PM
If you buy an old FWD talon or lasor, you can do most of the work yourself and have less then 2000K into it.

Then, you look at how much you paid for the car, and you're still 4k - 7k less then a 2g.

And, here's the best part, the insurance is cheap as hell and cops won't suspect it if it's sleeper style.

What is more fun then smoking a prelude in a galant?

NOSMAN7G
02-05-2003, 04:33 PM
Thats a good idea. Your talking about a turbo or non-turbo talon, Eclipse Jesse??

HiperSilver
02-05-2003, 04:45 PM
turbo of course.

old 1g's are the best budget cars, they are really really quick too.

I know a guy who runs reasonable numbers and has less than 2k into his 1g DSM turbo. plus if u can get AWD instead of FWD

Jesse
02-05-2003, 05:09 PM
AWD is definitely a huge advanatage, but if I had to go to an older car then I'd definitely grab me a galant VR4 just to stray true to the galants. Then I'd put a 6 bolt 2.4L block under that biatch and a FMIC and be on my merry way!!

Kain
02-05-2003, 07:29 PM
Who says you can't get a Galant in AWD?...Mine should be done by the end of this summer.

Dark Anghell
02-05-2003, 08:39 PM
I can only see one problem with turbocharging or swapping the motors...money is not that big of a deal if you are planning on doing something like that. But you go to remeber one thing...traction. My friends civic with a turbo has about 250HP now it's little sess with less boost. But he was only able to get into 14's on the 1/4 mile. But his trap speed was 101MPH, which means he really should be running 13's at least. His car burns out through the 1st and 2nd gear. Plus he's got to drop the clutch at what 3K RPM at MOST.

Now let's see eclipse AWD turbo (any generation): Like mentioned previously, 2K can get your eclipse into 13's easily. My friend with a 1st gen Talon with Greddy T25, downpipe, exhaust, boost controller, expernal wastegate, and that's pretty much it is running 12.5, and that's without power-shifting. Plus noone can tell that the car is that fast.

Now the downside of aclipse turbo...expect to pay close to 2K for insurance (that's only liability) on a 2nd gen eclipse.

That's why I'm not hooking up my car anymore, nor buying something else. I'd rather wait a little and get something good. Like an R32 for example :roll:

Jesse
02-06-2003, 12:56 PM
[quote="Pavel"]I can only see one problem with turbocharging or swapping the motors...money is not that big of a deal if you are planning on doing something like that. But you go to remeber one thing...traction. My friends civic with a turbo has about 250HP now it's little sess with less boost. But he was only able to get into 14's on the 1/4 mile. But his trap speed was 101MPH, which means he really should be running 13's at least. His car burns out through the 1st and 2nd gear. Plus he's got to drop the clutch at what 3K RPM at MOST.
quote]

Teach your friend how to drive. I'm sure his clutch is a stage 2 or stage 3, if not, I sure hope so. So he should launch from 2nd gear. If he's really trying to get his times low, then he should have some drag slicks on the front. My friends FWD neon with 125 shot of nitrous runs a 13.89 with a 2nd gear launch, and craig nailed a flat 14.00 with his. Since he does have FWD, he has to look at all the ways he can get that power to the ground efficiently.

Dark Anghell
02-06-2003, 09:10 PM
I totally agree with you about the skill it takes to launch a car. The guy who drive the car is a good driver, he had a civic before, and was running 13's in that one. But now he's driving a 4WD car, and he has the fastest time for his car throughout US (cars that have same mods as he does). But that's not the point I'm making here...
Everyone can agree that 4WD is better for racing in general, and for drag racing. Just look at the Option videos, where guys are trying to break the lap record...who's still #1? The Evo ofcourse https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif .
This is my personal opinion...I was going to do the motor swap myself, but I have changed my mind and decided to buy a faster car that has only 2 doors. Hopefully if everything works out just fine I will be driving a sprts car (Toyota or Mazda) by the end of this summer. For now I'm very very happy with my galant.

Moosh
02-16-2003, 03:52 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'>I can only see one problem with turbocharging or swapping the motors...money is not that big of a deal if you are planning on doing something like that. But you go to remeber one thing...traction. My friends civic with a turbo has about 250HP now it's little sess with less boost. But he was only able to get into 14's on the 1/4 mile. But his trap speed was 101MPH, which means he really should be running 13's at least. His car burns out through the 1st and 2nd gear. Plus he's got to drop the clutch at what 3K RPM at MOST. </div>

What if you install Quaife Limited Slip differential in your FWD ?

Dark Anghell
02-16-2003, 07:56 PM
It will help out for sure. It will depend on which one you get though. If you get one that is designed for the street use only...you will continue having traction problems.
If you go for a different LSD that locks up both wheels...you car will not handle as good in turns, but will have good traction on the straightaway.

One onther solution is to go widebody or overfenders with like 245 series rubber, that's fairly soft. Otherwise don't launch the car at very high RPM.