PDA

View Full Version : Suspension seems a bit off.

spardavr4
12-30-2008, 12:00 PM
Alright, I finally am getting a bit tired of my car's suspension so I am going to go ahead and ask here.

About a year ago I bought some KYB GR2's for my 2001 Galant ES.

Everything seemed good and dandy. Then at some point the car began sound terrible over bumps. The car seems like it has an extremely stiff suspension and over small and medium sized bumps the car makes really bad clunky noises. Obviously I think that the links need to be changed, but my brother thinks that the struts I bought are already bad.

When he bought his GR2's he says his 6th gen Galant became the smoothest bitch ever. Mine seems to be the complete opposite.

I have replaced my inner and outer tie rods, and all 4 struts/shocks with KYB GR2's. Springs are still from the original shocks.

Was there anything else I should have replaced, or is there something I should look at? Or are my KYB's defective?

I just want my car to ride nicely. If I have to in the future I will do a suspension overhaul if I have to get the quality of the ride back to normal.

QnzMostWanted
12-30-2008, 12:57 PM
might be the suspension bushings...

spardavr4
12-30-2008, 01:03 PM
That was the other thing I forgot to post that I haven't changed. I'll have to look into that. That would probably be the majority of the problem. But I don't think something so inexpensive could be causing so much noise and stiffness could it?

qnz
12-30-2008, 03:04 PM
my 2g had the shittiest suspension and made abnormal clunking noises when going over bumps. felt like a piano going down a flight of stairs. I changed the shocks and the ride was smooth but the clunkyness was still there. Then I replaced the ball joints and control arms and the clunkyness went away. Maybe check your control arms and tie rods.

QnzMostWanted
12-30-2008, 03:15 PM
when mine clunks i know its the control arm bushings

spardavr4
12-30-2008, 11:51 PM
Thanks guys, I'll take a look at those parts when it gets a bit warmer.

lonestar22
12-31-2008, 12:05 AM
is it coming from the front or rear

spardavr4
12-31-2008, 12:08 AM
Definitely the front. The rear is fine except for squeaks that can be fixed with grease. The fronts are the clunky ones though.