PDA

View Full Version : Rebuild or get a new engine

remarque
01-01-2009, 12:27 PM
Well the 4G64 in my Mirage has went to shit, I had the problem of it not starting, then no power, then the exhaust and then the master/slave problem. Got all that the figured out, finally got the car running right then BAM!!!! Its starts smoking bad, I mean really bad to the point were I'm ashamed to drive it. I thinks its burning coolant cause the smoke is white, I put my hand to the exhaust and it like brown water is coming out. Not completely sure though. I checked around and found out the problem could be a blown head gasket or cracked head.

I used engine from the junkyard is $350, most have between 96k to 120k. I was told the engine I have now had 113k on it, but who knows the true mileage. I've been searching to see if I can find a running engine in a car someone is parting out, but nothing yet.

For the rebuild, I plan on honing the cylinder walls and replacing piston rings, new gaskets of course, water pump. Basically a simple rebuild.

What do you guys think.

greddy
01-01-2009, 12:58 PM
Sounds like it's time to go with low compression pistons and forged rods and build a turbo motor, lol

remarque
01-01-2009, 01:01 PM
Not in the budget to get new pistons or rods. And I plan on supercharging the 4G64, you read right SUPERCHARGING.

seth98esT
01-01-2009, 01:01 PM
Rebuild. I wouldnt buy another used motor without rebuilding it first.

guynlidia2006
01-01-2009, 01:03 PM
how much would a already rebuilt engine for autozone or advance autoparts..

remarque
01-01-2009, 01:11 PM
Did'nt know they sold rebuild engines, prolly cost you your first born.

mko
01-01-2009, 02:45 PM
Well the 4G64 in my Mirage has went to shit, I had the problem of it not starting, then no power, then the exhaust and then the master/slave problem. Got all that the figured out, finally got the car running right then BAM!!!! Its starts smoking bad, I mean really bad to the point were I'm ashamed to drive it. I thinks its burning coolant cause the smoke is white, I put my hand to the exhaust and it like brown water is coming out. Not completely sure though. I checked around and found out the problem could be a blown head gasket or cracked head.

I used engine from the junkyard is $350, most have between 96k to 120k. I was told the engine I have now had 113k on it, but who knows the true mileage. I've been searching to see if I can find a running engine in a car someone is parting out, but nothing yet.

For the rebuild, I plan on honing the cylinder walls and replacing piston rings, new gaskets of course, water pump. Basically a simple rebuild.

What do you guys think.

Damn, i need new engine too. Mine has 216k and its leaking oil badly. Need new front crank seal and who knows what else. Never changed water pump or timing belts. My estimate of all the work getting done at a shop is more than just buying lower milege engine with no leaks

remarque
01-03-2009, 02:37 PM
A sad day for me, I searched the internet for engine restore products and Engine Restore. I search other forums and read testimonials about the product and they all were good, so I decided to give it a try. Changed my oil and added one of the four cylinder can of Engine Restore to the new oil. Made the oil thick as hell and turned it blue. Started the car and noticed it was running sluggish, I thought maybe the oil needed to heat up so let the car run a lil longer. The engine smoothed out but still smoked, so I shut the engine off and went in since it was late. Went out side today and tried to start the car and it would not turnover at all. I don't know what that stuff did but my car wont start now. Going to change the oil again, but use a 10W-40 instead of the 30 weight and leave the Engine Restore out.

4-G-rim
01-03-2009, 05:18 PM
Unless you know for sure that the motor is relatively low milage and you can get it at a real good price..then I would buy a used motor. For example a month ago I went to this salvage yard and had a 98 Galant that was pretty fresh and it only had 65k. I went back a week later and the motor was gone..but if I were in your situation i would of pulled that motor in a heartbeat and just slap a new timing belt and water pump and its good to go.

Depending on the condition of the motor when you finally pull it out ...I would consider a rebuild.

mko
01-03-2009, 05:29 PM
^^ Thats what I mean. I really havent seen motor with less than 150k miles in the local J/y-s. Although. these places sell already pulled parts and i dont think they will pull a motor with more than 100k, so I should give them a call. Another thing is that a motor goes for $100 if I pull it and $300-400 if they do it.

remarque
01-03-2009, 10:37 PM
I'm rebuilding cause I dont feel like throwing another motor into the trunk of my 8G, then having to leave it in there till I find someone to help me take it out.

Anyone bought piston rings or pistons from that dino parts store they have some really good prices. I'm only honing the engine and added new piston rings and replacing the water pump and timing belt. Maybe the DOHC swap thats a big maybe, the local pull a part named GAPCO has the cheapest prices ever. On Friday they have "Whatever you can carry for $25". I got both front axles and both fronts seats form a 1G DSM for $25. I might go back and get the head if its still there.

peanotation
01-06-2009, 10:32 AM
rebuild your motor. you don't want to get another block and then days/weeks down the road find out something major is wrong with it. you know yours (well, not really) and you know it's worthy of your time...so.....