PDA

View Full Version : Thermostat?

JiP
01-30-2003, 08:10 PM
My aftermarket temp gauge is installed in the upper radiator hose. For the past 3 or 4 days its either not moved, or gone up to only like 115 F. My datalogger says the car's sensor is seein 195-200, the stock temp gauge is rock solid in the center.

With the new TB, if I hold the gas so that it reaches 3k in park/neutral suddenly the rpm drops to 2200 then bounces back to 3k, and back to 2200 and so on like a rev limit. This happens only after driving the car for a few minutes, when I take off from just a 5 min quick warm up the car drives fine...

so is it a bad thermostat? If the upper radiator hose isnt geting to full 195 degrees it means the thermostat is stuck closed and the water isnt flowing to transfer the heat right??

manybrews
01-30-2003, 10:05 PM
its your placement of teh gauge.
the upper hose is not a good place, as it only gets flow when the t-stat immeadiatly opens, and no other time.
the t-stat is on the intake side, and all the factory sensors are located in its internal bypass.

if your factory gauge is roughly at half way, the cars temp is fine.

JiP
01-30-2003, 11:02 PM
I realize that, however I had no other place to put it anyway.

But you are right, the factory gauges are correct, I pulled the sensor just now and hit it with a cigerte lighter and the gauge doesnt do a damn thing, toched it to exhaust mani wich as you know reaches 500+, gauge didnt budge.

Never seem a temp gauge and the thing that sucks is you cant replace just the sensor..the whole gauge must go. https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/sad.gif

What about the 3k fiasco? What could have the car dropping rpm when not at more then like 40% throttle around 2500-3k rpm? Could it be the new larger intake needs an afc to give it more gas? The stock ECU should easily be able to compensate.

IllestGalant
02-02-2003, 02:07 PM
he is right. the upper radiator hose is the worst spot. the ect for the ipc is reading the block engine coolant temp.

JiP
02-02-2003, 02:23 PM
Like I said I know that already, thats besides the point. Unless you want to pull off your water pipe front or back and weld on a nut to screw the sensor into, there is no place to put it!

The half temperature reading has nothing to do with tthe placement of the gague, as it always reads 195-200 after about 5 min warm up, which is fine I only care about the temp at that point anyway. The reading I was geting is not from placement its from the failing gauge, a day later like I posted its compeltely dead now. Plugged in a friends gauge shows temp perfectly, so i just have to replace it case closed.

manybrews
02-02-2003, 04:16 PM
frankly, ive never seen a reason for an aftermarket gauge.
the factory gauges, although not telling you the exact temp, are VERY accurate.
and i have yet to see a mitsu go over the halfway mark on any car, unless there is a problem.

JiP
02-02-2003, 05:22 PM
Well aside from other gauges that dont appear on the dash at all, I dont like how the water temp uses a seperate sensor from the one the ecu uses, and that sensor is tiny and crappy looking. While it may be acurate I don't know mitsu didnt put degree values on the face and I doubt it is as sensative to temperature changes as an aftermarket, or even the sensor the ECU uses.

I can see my temp rise and fall when the car is siting and the fans kick on etc, I can do the same with the datalogger readng the ecu sensor, however the dash gauge needle never budges.

O and the 3k problem just needed the tps sensor to be adjusted if anyone cares.