PDA

View Full Version : 16" vs 17"

kutsyy
08-18-2002, 11:54 PM
I have have '99 ES V6, and it is time to change tires. I also want to get aluminum wheel instead of original steel.

I am trying to decide between 16" and 17". I don't care about look. In either case I'll probably will go with Yokohama AVS dB or Sumitomo HTR+.

How much improvement in handling would I expect from 215/45/17 vs 205/55/16? I don't expect too much from FWD auto, but still be.

All comments are appreciated.

Thanks,

PS: I have stock suspension.

Tiller
08-19-2002, 12:03 AM
if you do not plan to lower it, i would stick with a 16" wheel... try and locate a used set of GTZ rims... the 02's are really sharp... maybe even go check them out at the dealer...

I'm not sure what size tire you are running, i would guess a 195/65...? If you are upgrading to a 16" I would run a 205/55... you won't notice any difference between that and the 215/45... it's gonna depend on the type of tire you choose...

I suggest the Bridgestone RE730... awesome traction, and a good treadwear rating...

Do NOT get 17's if you are keeping your stock height... it'll look like a 4x4... then again you said you don't care about look, so...? do what you wanna do, it's your ride...

kutsyy
08-19-2002, 12:43 AM
I have 205/55 right now, just steel wheels. I may lower it some day byt about 1-1.4".

So are you saying that I will not notice any handling difference between 205/55/16 vs 215/45/17.

For wheels I will probubly go with Mille Miglia or Moda

TJC
08-19-2002, 01:59 AM
I say go with 17's. It will make the car handling tighter b/c of the lower profile versus a 16's. And since it's wider, it will give you more traction in the curvy road dept. But if you want straightline speed, 16's are better b/c they're lighter.

kutsyy
08-19-2002, 02:04 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TJC)</div><div class='quotemain'>I say go with 17's. It will make the car handling tighter b/c of the lower profile versus a 16's. And since it's wider, it will give you more traction in the curvy road dept. But if you want straightline speed, 16's are better b/c they're lighter.</div>

It is what I was thinking. I am used to my Supra, so I am trying to figure our correct wheels for FWD (plus auto).

I think I will stick with 16". This car is mainly driven on freeways, with a few mountain roads from time to time. For freeways I don't want to wide wheels on front, but on other hand these wheels pulls the car, so I was debaiting.

Supernova
08-19-2002, 04:21 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(kutsyy)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TJC)</div><div class='quotemain'>I say go with 17's. It will make the car handling tighter b/c of the lower profile versus a 16's. And since it's wider, it will give you more traction in the curvy road dept. But if you want straightline speed, 16's are better b/c they're lighter.</div>

It is what I was thinking. I am used to my Supra, so I am trying to figure our correct wheels for FWD (plus auto).

I think I will stick with 16". This car is mainly driven on freeways, with a few mountain roads from time to time. For freeways I don't want to wide wheels on front, but on other hand these wheels pulls the car, so I was debaiting.</div>

You have a Supra....?*drools* I envy you. :wink: