PDA

View Full Version : Water Pump installation question

Lowlivin2002
01-31-2003, 12:24 PM
my water pump basically fizzed out on me ( I ave to put more water in it every day.) WEll I got smart and bought a new one ( well that would be the obvious answer.) I know my way around removing andputting stuff back on cars, but I don't know the exact process for the water pump remova and instalation, does anyone hre know what I'm doing, or know where I can get soe step by step instructions on how to do so ( Ilooked for one of those manual books about my car but I can't fid it anywherearound here, and rather waiting to order it and wait 2 weks for delivery I want to get this pump in as soon a possible.) if anyone knows please help me out. Thanks in advance.

flipz_ny79
01-31-2003, 03:34 PM
Heres some hints if you do this yourself. It'll help you out if you have a jack. Your gonna need it to lift the engine a little so you could get those long ass screws out from the pulley. Its pretty simple, when you get the cover off your gonna need to take the belt off to get to some of the bolts on the water pump. Just lable the position of the belt and dont spin the cam. When your putting it together you'll need to rock your car back and forth ( in park ) to get the bolt for your motor mount to line up. Hopes this helps!!!

manybrews
01-31-2003, 04:38 PM
be very cautious. these are interference engines, and turning them over without a timing belt will cause damage.

also, the oil pump sprocket drives a balance shaft... this in itself is no big deal, but its on a 2 to 1 gear reduction. so although you may have the timing marks lined up, the balance shaft could be off by 360 degrees. And this will cause MASSIVE vibration, since the balance shaft that is suppost to be eliminating vibration is actually amplifing said vibration.

honestly, id recommend NOT doing this job to the average person, being as there are 2 timing belts, 2 balance shafts, hydraulic tensioners, and lots of potential damage that could occur.

g96nt
01-31-2003, 07:13 PM
I agree....leave water-pumps, and timing belts To the mitsu guys..

even *I* won't touch one in-car.

I usually pull the motor for timing belt jobs...

...however it only takes me an hour to pull my motor.

not to mention, if you're pissing coolant all over your timing belts.. you will likely need to replace Those as well.....

Lowlivin2002
02-01-2003, 12:56 AM
so does anyone know genrall howmuch it would cost to have a mechanic chane my water pump? Imean general ball park estimates. is it going to be cheap to installor expensve?

manybrews
02-01-2003, 08:08 AM
probably around 300-350.

about 4 hours of labor.

laxattack2001
02-01-2003, 10:25 AM
i got mine replaced and it cost $470

Lowlivin2002
02-01-2003, 12:47 PM
ou're kiddig? I can't afford that shit, and what makes matters worse I'm already trying to scramble to save money and to get everything fixed so my car is long ride worthy. I'm drivinglike almost 700 miles up to my girls for valenines day ( the camp Lejune Marine base.) Shit, tha's totally not encouraging to hear.

manybrews
02-01-2003, 04:57 PM
350 is a small price to pay compared to the amount of damage you will induce if you do it wrong.
not to mention the potential vibration and / or drivability issues that may crop up.

Lowlivin2002
02-01-2003, 10:04 PM
Well, I have good news for myself. A mechanic freidn of mine came ovr and looked at my car while I was at work, and he told me just a rubber O-ring type thing ( don't know the name of it.) well that was rupturred so that's where it was leaking, and all I have to do is replace the 2 rings.IT's like behind the manifold or something like that, I don't remember. But hey, it's cheap, and really easy to fix, so thanks everyone for your input, I was about to go attempt to fix i myself ike yesterdayand I'm glad I didn't, I could have really messed something up.

manybrews
02-02-2003, 09:49 AM
to be honest, i REALLY doubt that you have a leaking o-ring.
ive worked on these cars for almost 11 years, and have NEVER ONCE had to replace just the o-ring.
i have, however, replace piles of water pumps (at which time you replace the o-ring anyway)

Lowlivin2002
02-02-2003, 12:42 PM
oh really? ause my friend said that it was the O-ring ( I mean I guess it could be the pipe too.) He said tough that the fluid comming out would ocome out alot more consistant, es pecailly when the car is on, but whether it is on or off, it's still a light drip at best, takes hours to drain away the fluids. And he said he saw t ( I was at work when he was looking over my car.) He said he sa the ring was messed up, but now that you mention it, that might not be the only thing wrong...

manybrews
02-02-2003, 12:59 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Lowlivin2002)</div><div class='quotemain'>oh really? ause my friend said that it was the O-ring ( I mean I guess it could be the pipe too.) He said tough that the fluid comming out would ocome out alot more consistant, es pecailly when the car is on, but whether it is on or off, it's still a light drip at best, takes hours to drain away the fluids. And he said he saw t ( I was at work when he was looking over my car.) He said he sa the ring was messed up, but now that you mention it, that might not be the only thing wrong...</div>
a water pump seldom leaks more wether running or not. GENERALLY, it just dribbles, and eventually gets worse.

really, there is not much of a way for the o-ring to leak. it cant wear, its not subject to any real force (other than a small amount of pressure), and its a high quality rubber.
im not saying it definatly isnt leaking, because it obviously could. i am saying that its probably not the case.

Lowlivin2002
02-02-2003, 01:09 PM
see, that's the thing. My water pump has been broken ( if it's the water pump.) for like 2 months now. It hasn't gotten any worse, and it's not even a dribble if you can call it that, every like 15 seconds, you'll see a drop of water falling down the block, but you're the epert, you may be right ( honestly though I wish you weren't but that's not encouraging that never happened to you.) OH well,we'll see ifthat's it or not, I'm going to replace the rubber ring and if it still dosn't work, then we'll know.

Initial -G-host
02-18-2003, 09:30 AM
If you need to replace your waterpump it is wise just to take it to a certified mitsu guy or mechanic for that matter. I needed to replace my timing belt about the same time my waterpump went out on me. I took it to my boy at Mitsubishi and he quoted me $280 for just the belt at one time but since I needed my waterpump changed he only charged me $175 to replace the waterpump and the timing belt since both the camgear and the waterpump ran on the timing belt. That might be a helpful money saver tip for you.

Lowlivin2002
02-21-2003, 10:27 AM
Well, ood nes, it wasn't my waterpump, itwas that metal piping leadin to the ater pump. Luckily I found that out. I just gback from a trip to Camp Lejeune NC to see my girl, in which I drove the first like 600 miles or whatever without incedent, and then my car over heated about 70 miles from my destination and wouldn't stop over heating so it was in the shop the entire week I was up there, plus it costed over 200 to fix, but hey it's fixed now, but luckily all that money I saved up kind of went bye bye cause I had to pay t fix te car and all the cab rides ( which are wicked exensive next to a military base. ) it wasn't the water pump, that was fine, btu the mieta hose that's behind the exhaust manifold, that had rusted holes straight through it, though my friend sai he fixed it with JB weld, itdidn't hlep, and the pippe is sittin n my car now ( the old one.) and it is chewed up, I guess this hapens more often than people think, that's just what the mechanic told me, and there really sin't anything you can do about it, everyone beware, if your car over heat it might not be the pump, but that silly pipe connecting to it, though you'll get the same symptoms

JiP
02-21-2003, 05:09 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Lowlivin2002)</div><div class='quotemain'>rusted holes straight through it, though my friend sai he fixed it with JB weld, itdidn't hlep, and the pippe is sittin n my car now ( the old one.) and it is chewed up</div>

I fix everything with jbweld! I used it myself to plug some minor holes in my water pipes (cause by my stupidity not rust lol) but it workd for me I bake the shit in theoven at like 250 deg for 3hrs and then let it sit overngiht at room temperature before actualy installing any part fixed with it though.

vr6
02-23-2003, 11:22 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(manybrews)</div><div class='quotemain'>probably around 300-350.

about 4 hours of labor.</div>

wow! that's a lot of money!

i recently bought a water pump (replacement part) for my lancer with a 4g92 cyclone engine.
the water pump = 950 philippine pesos or US$ 17.60
labor from the mitsu mechanic = 600 pesos or US$11.11
and gasket sealant was free of charge from the mechanic as well.

all in two hours.

JiP
02-24-2003, 02:15 AM
OmG am I reading correctly 11 bucks labor? lmao and 17 for the pump!! Wanna mail some parts to me in the US?

vr6
02-24-2003, 03:09 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(JiP)</div><div class='quotemain'>OmG am I reading correctly 11 bucks labor? Â*lmao and 17 for the pump!! Â*Wanna mail some parts to me in the US?</div>

yup! https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif your reading it right bro.

labor is very expensive in the u.s. :shock:

JiP
02-24-2003, 02:06 PM
Labor screw labor I do most jobs myself, Parts $17 for a water pump, my local mitsu dealer charges about $180. Autozone is like $75.