PDA

View Full Version : a question about my headlight bulbs

mitsuondubz
08-19-2002, 12:10 AM
ok well yesterday i folled the directions i got off the tutorial here and i proceeded to clear my corners, well i got the grill off and the head lights were easy but when i got to taking the headlight bulb out i could not get the bulb itself to unplug from the harness so i had to hold back that rubber piece and undo the screw that holds that spring in place which holds the lights in, well trying to put them back on was harder since i couldnt get them to unplug for the life of me, so i got pissed and cut the rubber boot to be able to put the spring thing back in, well my first question is,, that bulb does unplug right because i couldnt unplug it and i tried prying it with a screw driver but it still wouldnt come out and i didnt want to break anythingand if i get hyperwhites i want to know if i should just go all out and pry that bitch loose or what? secondly, can i get another rubber boot thing from the dealer? and 3 when i finally got it put back together i noticed i had unknowlingly broken two of my upper clip thingys on my grill accidently, the little black pieces which go inside the holes of which the grill clips on to, can i get replacement clips? anyone know? my grill is held is by the one top clip and 3 bottom ones so it wont fall out but now is a bit loose,, any help would be appreciated, sorry the post was so long https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif

MitGalant
08-19-2002, 12:22 AM
i've had trouble with my headlight bulbs too.. what they don't tell is that you have to pinch the sides of the harness thing.. just feel around by, the left and rght sides have to be pinched in so you can pull it out.. so don't just pull it directly out without pinching the sides.. you might end up breaking something... and don't use a screwdriver too

not sure about the clips

hope it helps!

TJC
08-19-2002, 12:51 AM
Aw man! It wasn't supposed to be that hard at all. When you do it once, you're going to kick yourself.

Removing wire harness: squeeze sides and pull straight back.
Removing headlight bulbs: pull off rubber, straight back..... yes it comes off, just pull straight back all around. it will give. then swing wire clip out of way (NOT by removing screws but) by either pushing the top of the wire clip down or pulling on the bottom of the wire clip up (I forgot which), there's a little metal seat for the wire clip that it sits in that you've got to clear, and swing wire clip out of way. Actually, I believe this will become apparant once you remove the rubber boot and take a close look at the wire clip and how it holds the bulb in. The H4 bulb then comes straight out.

The whole removal process is done by hand without any tools. If you find the need to use tools, you are doing it WRONG. It should literally be a 30 sec. job removing the bulbs.

As for the clips for the grill, that should be effortless too. you just push in the center of the clips (7 in all I believe) and the grill is free to come straight out. Just be carefull to note which way the clips are in. Some are horizontal and some are vertical. If you get this wrong when putting clips in, it will not hold the grill in properly.

T.S.
08-19-2002, 01:38 AM
Yeah, took me quite awhile to figure out that you had to squeeze the sides on that harness and where to squeeze the first time to be able to pull it off, but after the first time it was very simple

mitsuondubz
08-19-2002, 01:42 AM
well shit i wish i wouldnt saw that, i was pulling like some shit and finally got pissed off at it and said f*ck it and there went the boot, now that i know how, ill have to make a trip to the dealer and see if i can get a replacement boot, hopefully should me pretty cheap * i hope* thanks for your help...

RedGalant2k1
08-19-2002, 01:50 AM
easier than pulling off the rubber seal is unclip the wiring harness from the bulbs after you do that you'll have quick easy access to the bulbs themselves then just proceed as stated above.