PDA

View Full Version : OBX Turbos

XXL4G64
01-13-2009, 02:37 AM
Have anyone here ever buy a OBX turbo or have any cons or pros about them.Because i was thinking about getting this one http://www.obxracingsports.com/products.php?pk=1041

4-G-rim
01-13-2009, 08:06 AM
Personally...OBX doesn't strike to be a reputable name in turbos and wouldn't even consider them.

Galantfan88
01-13-2009, 08:32 AM
Deff do not use OBX turbos, its the same as using ebay JDM turbos that you get with the cheap turbo kits. The only thing that I have used that put a smile on my face from OBX is the racing headers that I got from them. My car felt so much better and souded like a best after putting headers and full custum exhaust on my car. But do not use OBX turbos!!!!!!

whokilledhoughes
01-13-2009, 08:36 AM
i got their turbo manifold. no problems here. but just stick to the type of turbos that are known of their quality.

Galantfan88
01-13-2009, 08:40 AM
Yeah they are fine when it somes down to making turbo manifolds and racing headers, very nice design and strong, but turbo wise I would go for at least turbonetics they have a pretty nice selection of turbos for a good price.

Galantfan88
01-13-2009, 08:41 AM
By the way whokilledhoughes thats a nive pic of your car man, nice job on it

peanotation
01-13-2009, 09:29 AM
OBX is like the pep boys brand of aftermarket auto parts, nothing but crap. you should only trust their non-moving parts, like braces and manifolds, and even then, i wouldn't put one on my car

Dragon-and-his-mitsubishi
01-13-2009, 09:43 AM
I have OBX headers from them, but only for a while... First the gasket fired away between engine and headers, then between pipe with O2 senzor and cat..
Finaly the one pipe crashes... No more OBX...

Galantfan88
01-13-2009, 10:52 AM
Damn man not sure if you job was done right b/c mine headers are still fine and I rip my car here and there.

Dragon-and-his-mitsubishi
01-13-2009, 10:59 AM
Now Im year and half runing JVT headers from Ebay and they are fine....

Galant306m
01-13-2009, 11:15 AM
they also make a Quaife like LSD im taking that, thats no good either then?

DOHCstunr
01-13-2009, 11:21 AM
honda guys swear by the OBX lsd.
unfortunately as a testimant of their shaky quality....
they mass produced a lsd for dsm's.....
but once they started selling....
everyone who bought one for thiwer ride found out the hard way..... that it wouldn't even fit. this is even with Shep being willing to do whatever modification it took to make it work... even he couldn't get it to work.
Epic Fail.

Turbo's aren't jsut moving parts.... they are plumbed into yoru oil system.
If the bearing material used in the OBX turbo is sub par... it could result in that material polluting your oil system... and even causing aweful things to happen like lockign up your oil pump, or premature main/rod bearing wear.

I'd jsut stick with a nice run of the mill high output Mitsu turbo. Dime a dozen..... and proven to perform

Galant306m
01-13-2009, 11:53 AM
yea ive been looking into better turbo's and obx was never on my list, a turbo isnt something i would want to go cheap on because it will cost you more in the long run if they keep blowing up or because of poor quality they cause engine problems.

I think im just going to spend the extra money and get a quaife then worth the better quality and the lifetime warranty.

XXL4G64
01-13-2009, 12:59 PM
ok thanks you guys maybe i will just get the eclipse down pipe they have. And how much power could you push out of a shock 4g64 sohc with turbo (t3/t4) setup.

Galant306m
01-13-2009, 01:02 PM
depends on the tune, and how well you put it together.

Galanttuner10
01-13-2009, 02:22 PM
dont go t3/t4.. its a different mani and stuff just get a mitsu turbo and mani and shit like that.. dont make this harder than it already is

peanotation
01-14-2009, 12:25 AM
they also make a Quaife like LSD im taking that, thats no good either then?

i would stay about as far away from that as a chick who's barfing up ebola.

ok thanks you guys maybe i will just get the eclipse down pipe they have. And how much power could you push out of a shock 4g64 sohc with turbo (t3/t4) setup.

if you have to ask, you shouldn't be asking.

Galantfan88
01-14-2009, 12:38 AM
Do you mean stock 4g64? If so people are running on 12-15...crazy basterds, but safly you could run 8 psi, untill you car gives up. I would think on putting stronger internals b4 doing this set up, theirs no point on turbocharging a car if your ganna spend all that money on tubo kit and tuning when not getting nothing out of it. If you ganna tubo a car be willing to spend b4 doing.

Galantfan88
01-14-2009, 12:41 AM
I love how on the web site the logo it (OBX R Racing Sport.....Shit is Good !!!)lol wow

peanotation
01-14-2009, 12:42 AM
Do you mean stock 4g64? If so people are running on 12-15...crazy basterds, but safly you could run 8 psi, untill you car gives up. I would think on putting stronger internals b4 doing this set up, theirs no point on turbocharging a car if your ganna spend all that money on tubo kit and tuning when not getting nothing out of it. If you ganna tubo a car be willing to spend b4 doing.

uh.....no. no. 8psi on a 4g64 will have you wiping the road with pretty much anything else out there minus cars with price tags $100K+. guys have been running 8psi on their stock 4g64 for years and years without a glitch, education goes a long way.......

Galantfan88
01-14-2009, 12:49 AM
But isnt it better to be safe than sorry???

Galantfan88
01-14-2009, 12:54 AM
Its tru what you say but Im not sure how fast this kid wants to go. If hes looking at betting scions, some v6 motors, and stupid V-fuck Hondas, than by all means go ahead but when a WRX, some tricked out VW, or srt4 pulls up next to him than IDK he might get some exhaust on the front of his car. I rather have more power.....ummmmmmm tubo

Galanttuner10
01-14-2009, 12:58 AM
i planned on turboing the stock motor until i got a great deal on a 2g cylinder head
stock motors are suprisingly strong in our cars

Galanttuner10
01-14-2009, 01:00 AM
Its tru what you say but Im not sure how fast this kid wants to go. If hes looking at betting scions, some v6 motors, and stupid V-fuck Hondas, than by all means go ahead but when a WRX, some tricked out VW, or srt4 pulls up next to him than IDK he might get some exhaust on the front of his car. I rather have more power.....ummmmmmm tubo

he seems like he just wants a turbo 4 now then upgrade it and he should just get a 14b to hold him over save up then do the head swap, get an 18g and swap the trannies while hes at it

Galantfan88
01-14-2009, 01:01 AM
Tru as I heard...thats why Galants ruuule, well my good friends I like to chat but work so im out PEACE

Galantfan88
01-14-2009, 01:03 AM
Im thinking of it from my view I did everything all at once. I have the money to build the whole car so i decided to build it as much as I can see what its capable of, just a matter of time b/c of work and school.

Galanttuner10
01-14-2009, 01:06 AM
Im thinking of it from my view I did everything all at once. I have the money to build the whole car so i decided to build it as much as I can see what its capable of, just a matter of time b/c of work and school.

i agree wit u 100% thats y ive been collecting parts for months and b4 i started collecting parts i reasearched for almost a year.. im holding off on the tranny swap cuz i put this tranny in like 5 months ago

Galant306m
01-14-2009, 01:06 AM
stock 4g64s are pretty strong, and pt looser's come turbo'd from the factory with a 4g64 so i dont think they have a problem with boost, plus not to mention all the members running stock turbo motors.

4-G-rim
01-14-2009, 08:53 AM

I guess I am a crazy bastard...I have been running 10psi for years now and 12psi for a little over a year and my motor is still solid as the day prior to it be turbocharged. 200+ compression all across the board, no symptoms of bad piston rings, no overheating, etc etc.....if you know what you a doing and you understand what involves turbocharging, then turbo'ing a n/a motor will be no problem. Ask members like Peano, Laxwarrior, Phiz, and other members that have turbo'ed their stock 4G64's...or even me and all of ours setups haven't blown up or have given any major issues. We all have done our research and understand what turbocharging involves. Its not like a ricer that buys a gt35r and slaps it on a stock n/a motor and boosts the turd to 25psi with lacking supporting mods and blows his motor.

I see your point on "doing everything at once" ...build a big motor from the get go and be safe than sorry. Well if you don't understand and truly experience what a turbo car behaves, acts, and experience problems or issues it has...that big built motor is in essence just a lab rat for a experiment. All of the great DSM tuners started somewhere..and I bet you it was a stock turbo car or maybe turbo'ing a n/a motor. Thats the best platform to learn...start simple with the basics and graduate the learning curve as you gain more understanding on how it works w/o breaking your bank account. (Unless you are super rich and money to you is like coin change to us poor folk).

Unless you have personal knowledge and have a setup like turbocharged n/a motor....."Bench" advice about the topic has no credibility.

Galantfan88
01-14-2009, 09:02 AM
Just incase when I said crazy basterds, im playing around as a joke, people have different views on how to deal with cars when it comes down to serious stuff like this. Some say Imma keep my motor stock cuz others did and did just fine, and they may understand what you need to do in order to turbocharge. But their are people like me that think hey putting forced induction in your motor is not a joke, and like to play it safe. I have a friend with an eclipse and cracked a piston and was running 10 psi. Unless he has the money...just incase the motor decides not to hold up than like I said by all means go ahead. I just believe its best to make the motor alil stronger in order to put alil more power into it. The crazy basterd part is a joke to the stock turbo people...laugh alil come on.

peanotation
01-14-2009, 10:00 AM
stock 4g64s are pretty strong, and pt looser's come turbo'd from the factory with a 4g64 so i dont think they have a problem with boost, plus not to mention all the members running stock turbo motors.

just because it's a 4g64 doesn't mean it's close to our 4g64. compression, piston makeup, timing, etc., these could be all different. there are literally hundreds of factors that could make the PT cruisers' 4g64 different from ours.

i beat two SRT4s and barely pulled on a modded WRX with my 13g @ 8psi. ran 50k miles with the turbo before i had to pull it to pass smog for the state ref, still have great compression across all cylinders at 194K miles on the same, original, stock motor.

just because you had a friend who cracked a piston doesn't mean he knew what he was doing, in fact it proves he didn't know at all.

if someone on this board is asking about turbos, and neither of you have the experience or the real knowledge to backup the advice, don't go suggesting motor builds with turbo which is 100x more complicated than turboing just a stock motor. that's like saying you want bright headlights and then someone suggesting you run HPS lights with 200amp ballasts connected to massive relays with giant lever switches, blah blah blah....you get the idea.

Galantfan88
01-14-2009, 10:46 AM
Alriiight lets relax now, no need to get you balls all tangled up now.... The dude is asking for advise from people. The best bet is looking at what poeple are saying so he may think to himself and make a choice what he wants. Im not telling him to do it like I said for the 5th time by all means go ahead, im giving advise not telling him. As far as it goes for my friend im not putting it all just b/c on one car, its something called an example not sure if you know what that is. Its to show or give him alil something in his mind to think about b4 doing. Me and my friends done many cars we just got done doing his mustang and we didnt fuck up, it runs fine and rapes every one on the road. The whole point of this is to get peoples advise and see what others say. Thats why im here, like I said b4, everyone thinks diff on how to do a motor when it comes down to turbo charging it. Either you keep it stock and people may say ok lets go for a ride and race people, and others like to build it and make it strong and fuck some cars up. Blah blah blah...you get the idea. Ask any performance shop they will tell you how it is Im done here. Didnt think it was such a bother to shar an idea

Galant306m
01-14-2009, 12:29 PM
just because it's a 4g64 doesn't mean it's close to our 4g64. compression, piston makeup, timing, etc., these could be all different. there are literally hundreds of factors that could make the PT cruisers' 4g64 different from ours.

I know was just kinda mentioning that motor, in response to galantfan.

XXL4G64
01-14-2009, 01:19 PM
yeah and i do come because i love my 7G and like i said before were i live is nuitting but vtec boys around here but i do get respect from alot of them and some are friends some are not. I think about 4 or 5 months ago kid and his friend pull next to me in like a 1.6 civic v-tech and for me i dont give a shit what you have i will run you. So i hit it and i was pulling on him bad mine you i have a shock car just with 3A Racing Muffler and Intake. But like last night i race my other friend in a 02 MAX 3.0 v6 i got the jump on him but he pass me and call me up and said ant when you go turbo you going 2 be hard to past..

Galantfan88
01-14-2009, 02:01 PM
Well xxl4g64 I wish you goodluck in your car, but getting back on track to your question. Dont get OBX turbo after a good couple thousand miles it will fall apart on you. Look at turbonetic, they have pretty good turbos.

Galanttuner10
01-14-2009, 04:33 PM
yeah and i do come because i love my 7G and like i said before were i live is nuitting but vtec boys around here but i do get respect from alot of them and some are friends some are not. I think about 4 or 5 months ago kid and his friend pull next to me in like a 1.6 civic v-tech and for me i dont give a shit what you have i will run you. So i hit it and i was pulling on him bad mine you i have a shock car just with 3A Racing Muffler and Intake. But like last night i race my other friend in a 02 MAX 3.0 v6 i got the jump on him but he pass me and call me up and said ant when you go turbo you going 2 be hard to past..

i have to agree about it being all hondas but they dont all have vtech.. in waterbury they all spray.. but trust me i earn their respect as all my buddies r in the same car club and my boy is his sentra spec v all done up had trouble out runnin me.. head swap and a turbo should fix that tho.. u should come down 2 waterbury friday night.. we meet at the wendys where the old mall used 2 be

XXL4G64
01-14-2009, 08:00 PM
i have to agree about it being all hondas but they dont all have vtech.. in waterbury they all spray.. but trust me i earn their respect as all my buddies r in the same car club and my boy is his sentra spec v all done up had trouble out runnin me.. head swap and a turbo should fix that tho.. u should come down 2 waterbury friday night.. we meet at the wendys where the old mall used 2 be

o word i be off fridays not this week little 2 cold lol...and i talk to the guy in easthartford he going to sell me a 14b with manifold j-pipe old lines for like $175 he said other things to but i forgot

Galanttuner10
01-14-2009, 10:44 PM
well we will b down there if u chanbe ur mind.. and check the condition of the 14b b4 u get it like the fins and how it spins.. spin it and listen if its rubbing.. i know a guy u can get 1 for 80 bucks he lives in vernon and mani u can get 4 50 bucks and its a 2g mani that flows a bit better than the 1g mani and i say get all new lines as then u know there r no hard spots or rotting and the lines r better if they r for a 2g as well

XXL4G64
01-15-2009, 08:25 AM
yeah the turbo was little f-up but nuitting to bad you know

Galanttuner10
01-15-2009, 10:17 AM
c thats the thing.. wut was messed up on it and how easily did it spin.. any noise while spinning? did u check the shaft play? how bent were the fins? and did u ask him if the seals are blown of if it leaks nething? do u know that it was eworkin the last time he had it on his sar?

did u ask and/or check all these things? cuz they r a must check.. dont get ripped off man.. check around 2 c if there r better deals out there

peanotation
01-15-2009, 12:10 PM
lol we're just talking, you're the one that's gotta calm down, everyone takes everything so seriously on this board..... just because i dont bookend my comments with smilies and stupid courtesy jokes doesn't mean i'm pissed off. when i'm reading your posts, and your spelling is horrible and your advice is subpar at best, with comments like stock motors can't handle power and what-not, it sounds ignorant and i feel the need to correct. no offense man....

seth98esT
01-15-2009, 12:22 PM
PT Cruisers dont have 4g64s ... Its some version of the 2.4L 420a.

XXL4G64
01-15-2009, 01:10 PM
c thats the thing.. wut was messed up on it and how easily did it spin.. any noise while spinning? did u check the shaft play? how bent were the fins? and did u ask him if the seals are blown of if it leaks nething? do u know that it was eworkin the last time he had it on his sar?

did u ask and/or check all these things? cuz they r a must check.. dont get ripped off man.. check around 2 c if there r better deals out there

nuh see the thing is it is off from a new jdm 1g red top motor and lil shaft play in it he said if need he would send it to the shop to it it re-built im call him in a lil after i go pick up my son about my rods and pistons

XXL4G64
01-15-2009, 01:13 PM
if im wrong tell me but can we use a evo fuel pump plug in play or little more rewiring to do

Galantfan88
01-15-2009, 02:37 PM
Dude relaaxe...no body said anybody was pissed off.lol One thing im at work when Im on here, so im on n off, and typing gatta be alil fast lets not talk aout whos better at spelling or not b/c one thing I prob pretty much beat you at life, and num 2 you understod what I said right..so whats the problem. Your the one that started talking, I gave advice, im not telling him what to do. Im doing the samething everyone does here give advice. If you gatta problem try to keep it to yourself, he asked a question stick to topic, cuz you are the one that went wayyy off. Im not here to make enemies with anybody, finaly found some G lovers that I can talk to since most of my friends have mustangs and cobras. Lets just drop it and answere the damn kids questiion, which I think he already got one. Lets just make a truths...you got me and I got you we are even ok?

seth98esT
01-15-2009, 05:00 PM
Evo IX fuel pump is a 210lph and I do believe it will work. Do some searching on that on www.dsmtuners.com as we can use the same fuel pumps as they can.

Galanttuner10
01-16-2009, 01:43 AM
nuh see the thing is it is off from a new jdm 1g red top motor and lil shaft play in it he said if need he would send it to the shop to it it re-built im call him in a lil after i go pick up my son about my rods and pistons

alright.. if hes willing to do that for you at the same price hes asking then go for it i guess.. i just dont want sum1 to screw u over man

and dude i wanna c the car now so i know wut u r working with like cosmetics and shit u know

ill be at wendys 2morrow night if u wanna come down and check my car out 2

BioHazard
01-16-2009, 01:57 AM
I am chiming into this thread a little late, but I thought my personal experience would help out. I bought an OBX turbo kit about 4 years ago. All maintenance on my Eclipse was up to date. About 3 months after the installation, the engine blew up. I'm talking cracked block, oil pouring through a hole with a piece of piston stuck through it. Unless you hate your car, please avoid OBX parts at all costs.

XXL4G64
01-16-2009, 02:30 AM
oooo damm how much boost was you running

Galant306m
01-16-2009, 02:50 AM
PT Cruisers dont have 4g64s ... Its some version of the 2.4L 420a.

are you sure i always thought that they where 4g64's hmm i learn something new everyday lol.

Galantfan88
01-16-2009, 09:04 AM
I thought that 2 with the PT Cruisers, I just learned something new once again

Galantfan88
01-16-2009, 09:12 AM
if someone on this board is asking about turbos, and neither of you have the experience or the real knowledge to backup the advice, don't go suggesting motor builds with turbo which is 100x more complicated than turboing just a stock motor. that's like saying you want bright headlights and then someone suggesting you run HPS lights with 200amp ballasts connected to massive relays with giant lever switches, blah blah blah....you get the idea.

ok this is galantfan88s friend and ive been doing this for years. If YOU dont know what your talking about dont go bashing other forum members because you have nothing else better to say. Building a motor IS WAY easier than just turboing a car, you have no idea what the piston to wall clearance is on a stock motor and if you think a stock motor can handle high horsepower your on something then. If your going to do it, you might as well do it right with a built motor. Because when he blows his stock motor I will come back here and laugh at your so called "advise". And what is this with relating it to lights? Its a motor for christ sakes, not a motherboard...

Galantfan88
01-16-2009, 09:17 AM
lol we're just talking, you're the one that's gotta calm down, everyone takes everything so seriously on this board..... just because i dont bookend my comments with smilies and stupid courtesy jokes doesn't mean i'm pissed off. when i'm reading your posts, and your spelling is horrible and your advice is subpar at best, with comments like stock motors can't handle power and what-not, it sounds ignorant and i feel the need to correct. no offense man....

galantfans8s friend here

I LOLd at this comment. You are the biggest moron if you think your advice is any better. Stock motors cant handle horsepower genius, i dare you to put 18psi through your motor and see what happens, your going to be picking up pistons on the street. So if you think you have so called advice, why dont you actually know what your doing first, ive done plenty of motors on my own. Im actually building Galantfan88s motor up to handle 20psi on pump gas, with a 67mm turbo. So, YOU sound ignorant, and YOU need to be corrected, because your talking crazy.

bmore303
01-16-2009, 10:18 AM
GalantFan88, just stop. Peano has already turboed the stock engine long before many of the current members here. Not to mention it has been proven repeatedly that the stock 4G64 has been capable of maintaining upwards 15psi of boost on moderately sized turbo with a good tune. If anything you have proven to be the ignorant member in this topic.

Anyway, post some info / pics on this big build carrying the 67mm turbo.

peanotation
01-16-2009, 11:01 AM
lol dude, don't even bother talking to these ghetto punks. this guy's so hurt he got his butt buddy to come on and spit some game. go back to your mustangs and circle jerks. apparently building a motor and then turboing it and easier than just turboing it. and apparently when you turbo cars you can only run 18psi or more, running 8psi is impossible. stock motors can't handle FI, it's impossible. no one's done it before :roll:

i'm honored this fruit cup ran to all his friends with tissue in hand. a few posts on a car board on the internet sent shockwaves through the mustang community this week. beyond pathetic....

why don't you guys follow your fellow retards advice (speaking of advice) and stop polluting this thread with your bullshit. go away. no one cares. no one even knows who the hell you are....

Galant306m
01-16-2009, 11:45 AM
I say ban for being a complete idiot. Peano Is a OG for turboing the 7g, he one of the people if you have a question about something with this car he will know what you need to do. Galantfan88, shut your mouth cause you look like a idiot, and to his "friend" you know nothing about mitsubishi motor apparently, so take that "Mustang Build" (sounds untrue.) and take a fucking walk because you have no idea what you are talking about.

peanotation
01-16-2009, 12:17 PM
thanks man. i sent a PM to him last night with a peace offering to just forget about the whole thing, but the result is apparent ^^^. it's a good thing this thread topic is for OBX turbos, making the thread in its entirety useless. they're probably all crowded around his computer crafting some master 10-page reply to my PM right now..... throwing out lingo like piston to wall clearance and cool quips like picking pistons up off the street. everyone just drop it.

they're mustang owners....enough said.

Galantfan88
01-16-2009, 12:20 PM
Hey look I dropped this convo already with him and said hey lets make a truth and not talk about it anymore. He decides to send me a private message and continue with this and insulting me, when I already said it was just advice. What would any of you do if someone sent you a message talking more shit. im not telling him to do it or anything. Like I said b4 im not here to make enemies with anybody, thought It would be nice to talk to some G drivers. Until this clown decides to keep going with this when I said ok we are even truths no more. Im sorry if any of this offended anybody, my friend saw what he said and asked me if he could comment back. After what peano said I told him go ahead just dont say anything stupid to other people. Im the same as all of you here just talking and helping. As of this point... really this convo is done. Once again im sorry and as soon as I find out how to put pix on this I will put up pix on the build.

Galant306m
01-16-2009, 01:50 PM
So back on topic of the OBX turbo's.

OBX seems to be a cheap brand to me. The thought of the OBX lsd came up between seth and I, for $355.00 that seemed really cheap.

I didnt even know that hey where making turbo's too haha. But like everyone else said if your going to tubo your G just use a mitsubishi turbo they are proven to be damn good turbo's just make sure that when you buy one, if it was used send it out to get rebuilt. And stay away from ebay turbo's they may seem like a good deal but one of my DSM friends here has went through three of them and is on his 4th they dont last.

XXL4G64
01-16-2009, 02:00 PM
Ooo thats not a good look for obx than in fact alot of my friends that drive B-motors said dont do it. They headers and manifolds are very good thou....As I Was Told

Galant306m
01-16-2009, 02:30 PM
Yea i would say that their exhaust parts arnt bad, but there is better out there.

Galanttuner10
01-16-2009, 06:19 PM
yea avoid their turbos man.. pick up a 14b and ull b good 4 now

and guys i swear all mustang owners arent like this and im insulted as a mustang entusiast and builder as my fam builds these cars for a living..

peono is basically a god on here to many of us for wut he has done to his car and all attacks on him are pointless and u will only lose

who is this kid neway???

BioHazard
01-16-2009, 08:23 PM
OBX makes decent non-moving parts. When it comes to something that might be vital, I would avoid them like a rabid pit bull with HIV.

Also, to the person who asked how much boost I was running on my Eclipse, It was 8 lbs. The oil seals in the OBX turbo crapped out, and i was burning oil off as fast as it went into the turbo. Once the car got too low on oil, it locked up tight.

Galant306m
01-17-2009, 01:16 AM
yea avoid their turbos man.. pick up a 14b and ull b good 4 now

and guys i swear all mustang owners arent like this and im insulted as a mustang entusiast and builder as my fam builds these cars for a living..

peono is basically a god on here to many of us for wut he has done to his car and all attacks on him are pointless and u will only lose

who is this kid neway???

Who really cares who he thinks he is, but ill tell you what i know He is a idiot.

Proto
01-17-2009, 01:45 AM
a lot of off topic convo so i'm locking it up.