PDA

View Full Version : Any advice before I change rotors

jmonintwo
02-01-2003, 10:34 AM
Like everyone else, I need to change my front rotors. Does anyone have any suggestions on replacement rotors brands? I'm looking for standard rotors, not high performance (unless they're worth it).

Also, am I going to run into any surprises when I go to change them out?

This website is awesome.

Galant_01
02-01-2003, 10:44 AM
You sure are right! This website is awesome!

But anyway as I learned from needing new front rotors also it really is about the same cost to just get the better Brembo Cross-Drilled/Slotted Rotors. You can look into the Group Buy section of this site and there is a buy going on for this. Just talk to them and they will hook you up! I have the Brembo's and they are great. Easy install. Have you ever done brakes before?

Galant_01
02-01-2003, 10:47 AM
Just for reference your local Mitsu dealer wants $112 each for the rotors and I think the Group Buy is for like $100 for both the fronts!

jmonintwo
02-01-2003, 12:15 PM
Thanks for the info. I'll check out the Brembos, sounds like the way to go.

I've replaced rotors a long time ago. What else is involved besides: removeing the wheel, remove the caliper, take off the existing rotor, put it all back. Am I forgetting anything and are there instructions included with the Brembos?

Thanks for the advice.

NRG
02-01-2003, 12:57 PM
No, what you described is pretty much it!! Just make sure to take all necessary precautions like don't hang the caliper by its brake lines. Make sure to prop it up with something like either a block or ziptie to something...

pinoyesv6
02-01-2003, 08:44 PM
just make sure that u have all the proper tools and that u understand all the direcitons b4 u start. with that said u are less likely to find suprises.

D03GTZ
02-01-2003, 10:22 PM
Why not get rotors from your local parts store? If you dont want to spend a hundred bucks a pop get a price from them. Most brands are better than OE anyway and last a lot longer in some cases. I strongly suggest if you are going to swap rotors to either 1) resurface your pads or 2) also change your pads. If your original rotors are warped, so are your pads. So by changing rotors and doing nothing to pads in due time your rotors will be crap again.

Fishboy55
02-02-2003, 06:44 AM
The GB going on now with the Brembos includes Metal Master pads. And yes, you should replace the pads the same time you replace your rotors.

The Brembos do come with instructions that are basically what you stated. A couple of tips from my experience installing them:

Get anti-squeak paste and put it liberally on the outside surface of the pads. Metallic pads tend to squeak more than ceramics and the paste will quiet them completely.

Get a big C-clamp to compress the caliper piston when you go to put the caliper back on. You can use one of your old pads as a block between the clamp and the piston. Be sure to remove the cover from your master cylinder when you do this.

Buy a set of speedbleeders. You won't need to bleed the system normally when you replace rotors and pads, but as long as you have the rotors off, these things are great and they very cheap. If you ever do have to bleed your brakes, you'll be glad you have them. They're available at http://www.speedbleeder.com ('http://www.speedbleeder.com') Our size is 7mm x 1". The part number is SB7100

If you have rotors on the rear, removing them is a bitch because of the emergency brake. Theres a hole in the rotor as you face it. If you screw a bolt in that hole, the rotor will pop off much easier. If you have rear drums, obviously this isn't applicable.

Chip

D03GTZ
02-02-2003, 12:54 PM
There is no need to pop off the cap on the reservoir. Chances are if you do you will need to bleed the air out of the lines. If you ever added fluid to compensate for the pads wearing too much then there is no need. A lot of people keep adding fluid when they pop their hoods to check for fluids. They see the brake fluid is low so they add some to top it off. Well when they get new brakes when they're pushing the piston back in they see fluid running down the side of the engine compartment. One thing to not do is top off brake fluid. It eats paint and is hard to get off clothes and such.
BTW, I got confused when I looked at the Brembo GB. So how much total are 4 rotors and the pads front and rear?
And does anybody make a 4 piston caliper upgrade, or at leaset a 2 piston? My GTZ only has 125 miles on it now and I wont be needing brakes for a long time. But when I do I want a BIG brake upgrade.
Thanks guys

D03GTZ
02-02-2003, 12:54 PM
Damn, I meant to say "If you never added fluid..."

pinoyesv6
02-02-2003, 03:55 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(D03GTZ)</div><div class='quotemain'>There is no need to pop off the cap on the reservoir. Chances are if you do you will need to bleed the air out of the lines. If you ever added fluid to compensate for the pads wearing too much then there is no need. A lot of people keep adding fluid when they pop their hoods to check for fluids. They see the brake fluid is low so they add some to top it off. Well when they get new brakes when they're pushing the piston back in they see fluid running down the side of the engine compartment. One thing to not do is top off brake fluid. It eats paint and is hard to get off clothes and such.
</div>

and u just gave urself a good reason to remove the cap. i dunno about u, but if my fluids are in a dangerous low level, i gots to add fluid. and yea if i add fluid and i service my brakes well, lets say yea the fluid is going to spill out, but then it would be really hard to push the piston back in, if the fluid had nowhere to go since the cap was on. i'd rather wash my engine bay (i do it all the time) than sit there working my ass off tryna push back in a piston that won't go back in because the fluid had nowhere to go. as for it eating paint, it doesn't eat paint on contact. as long as u clean up when ur done (which every1 should) you should be fine...

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(D03GTZ)</div><div class='quotemain'>And does anybody make a 4 piston caliper upgrade, or at leaset a 2 piston? My GTZ only has 125 miles on it now and I wont be needing brakes for a long time. But when I do I want a BIG brake upgrade.
Thanks guys</div>

u've seen this link before and u'll see it again http://pinoyesv6.galants.com/partslist.htm ('http://pinoyesv6.galants.com/partslist.htm'). i know its not done but there are also big brake kits from brembo, stoptech and baer and a few more. as for a 2 piston upgrade, well the newer v6 unfortunately don't have the dual piston calipers like the old v6's so maybe you can do some reasearch and find a way to do a cheap conversion...

D03GTZ
02-02-2003, 04:25 PM
Well if you fluid was a dangerously low level, so are your brakes! Screw the fluid level for now, cuz youll need brakes, not fluid. Brake fluid should be replaced every year, or at least every brake job so why not just change that also. Most people dont and probably never will. And unless you can only barely squeeze the juice out of an orange with the peel on you should have no problem pushing the piston back in. Believe me I do more than a couple brake jobs a day, I know. Just go get some big channel locks, put the old pad against the piston and squeeze. The reason it is better to use an old pad is so that the piston doesnt get cocked going back in.

D03GTZ
02-02-2003, 04:29 PM
Oh and brake fluid WILL eat paint! Leave it sit for about 5 minutes and your paint will turn whitish. Ive done it before. One time me and a couple buddies at school had a brake fluid fight. We each had a siringe full and were bored so why not right. Well a shit box car happened to be in the way and we didnt notice until it started eating the paint. No, it doesnt work on contact and should clean up pretty easily but if it gets on paint and you dont notice that you spilled a little your screwed.

BlueESV6
02-02-2003, 08:56 PM
The hardest part I found to changing the rotors was getting th ecaliper bolts loosened. The high heat really seals them on there!

If your brake fluid is dropping it's because your pads are wearing down and the hydralics are compensating for that. When it's low, it's a sign to get new pads not add fluid because when you get around to changing the pads (after adding fluid) there is going to be too much fluid in there!

Good Luck https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif

D03GTZ
02-02-2003, 10:42 PM
Thats exactly what I was saying. And too much fluid isnt the best thing also. It wont necessarily hurt anything but try to avoid if possible

Galant_01
02-03-2003, 08:53 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(D03GTZ)</div><div class='quotemain'>Why not get rotors from your local parts store? </div>
Being someone who has had alot of brake trouble from my Galant I have tryed every way to get decent brakes for a cheap price! I tryed every auto parts store in my area (Autozone, O Reily's, Pep Boys, etc) and none of them carry rotors for the 8G Galant or Eclipse. Autozone said that they did but they are actually for the 2G Eclipse! Trust me I tryed to install them! LOL
I also tryed alot of ones from the internet. nopionline lists a 3G Eclipse stock brake rotor but they do not fit either! So really the only options I could find were the dealership or aftermarket performance ones! Turns out the aftermarket performance ones were cheaper than the dealers! What a crock!

D03GTZ
02-03-2003, 07:12 PM
Almost a 100% of the time an aftermarket part is going to be cheaper than the dealer. Dealer markup sometimes is 200-300%! Thats the crock I think