PDA

View Full Version : Looking for final opinions before I buy my wheels

charris
01-22-2009, 09:09 AM
Here's the link:

http://www.wheelmax.com/product.asp?ProdId=14938

The vendor is off the sticky online parts site list, the wheels are the proper size (5X114.3), and they'll fit my current tires (195/65/R15).

I just want to make sure no one's had any bad experiences with this brand, and make sure there's nothing I'm overlooking.

Edit: Here's the pic for those who don't want to hit the link :P
http://www.wheelmax.com/_images/products/NEXO-NT-05-GM_z.gif

greddy
01-22-2009, 11:03 AM
You're going to buy 15'? Don't waste your money, save up and buy at least 17s if not 18s, 15s will look like crap on our cars.

charris
01-22-2009, 11:05 AM
I'm on a bit of a budget here, and I don't want to replace the tires. They've still got most of the tread left, and money won't be that much of an issue by the time I replace the tires.

Right now I've got the steelies on, and I'm missing the front passenger side hubcap, so it won't look any worse with these...

Jeffylou87
01-22-2009, 11:18 AM
Honestly, save for something bigger with tires.. I would rather roll with steelies than fifteens..

greddy
01-22-2009, 11:19 AM
then save up, and wait for your tires to wear out, and then buy some nice wheels, then you won't have to worry about the budget, trust me, you'll thank us for it, then you won't be buying wheels twice, and if you do get these and decide to get new wheels one day, you'll never be able to sell them cuz nobody wants to roll around on 15s.

csj
01-22-2009, 11:20 AM
I'll have to go with the others here - save your money until you plan on replacing the tires, and buy a set of 18" rims with tires, and buy a new (set of) hubcap(s) now instead.

charris
01-22-2009, 11:21 AM
hmm...

Actually, I suppose it would make more sense to sink the money into the suspension instead.

Plus, it might get a little less attention from thieves... (I'm putting a fair bit of crap inside)

I guess I'll put up a post sometime soon on some coilovers (after I do some more searching/research, of course) ;)

greddy
01-22-2009, 11:21 AM
Or here's another option, great price for some quality wheels rather than the no names you wanna buy.
https://www.thegalantcenter.org/showthread.php?t=33547

charris
01-22-2009, 11:47 AM
Tempting, but I'm rather particular to the 5-spokes. Honestly, I think you guys gave me a good enough dose of reality that I'm probably going to go the suspension route before I get the rims.

Galante
01-22-2009, 01:21 PM
Go get 19" wheels.. I currently have 18's and wished I got 19's..

G-spot
01-22-2009, 03:24 PM
OMFG! If you're trying to be cheap by buying wheels and use your stock tires then you're making a big mistake in the long run. Not only you waste money when you could of gotten a 17-19 inch decent wheel/tire combo for ony $100-200 more. Save your 15's for other uses like winter driving but please don't go cheap, I only see Honda owners who have low income tend to take that route.

fatal1
01-22-2009, 06:06 PM
wheel and tire packages can be had pretty cheap and there are often larger savings when you buy them together anyway...a nice set of 17's will compliment the car better then 15's but still look stockish and clean (depending on style of course)...and wont be too flashy to attract thieves

Gtorque
01-22-2009, 07:05 PM
get 19" rims man thats wat i got and i love them!! or settle for 17" or 18" never put 15" on a G

kylecanthurdle
01-22-2009, 08:22 PM
ricer.......dont be one.

6G72Galant
01-22-2009, 08:40 PM
Wheelmax is a good company. I bought my Davaj Boundrys from them and they were shipped super fast. I had no issue with my rims at all. I ran 18x7.5 wheels w/ Nankang NS2's. I loved my Nankangs. Ive hit some pretty big potholes and havent bent any rims or blown a tire (except for when i hit a pothole loaded with glass). I paid $1200 shipped for wheels and tires.

Go with a set of 17's or 18's from Wheelmax. You wont be unhappy plus youll save money.

bellefontaine187
02-01-2009, 09:47 AM
if you are on a budget, then buy what you can afford, but dont spend 73bucks per wheel on a set of 15's dude. what you should do first is get you suspension up to par. if you are stock then you are still rocking the hugest front wheel gap in the history of wheels gaps. its important to have your car sitting right. the first thing i ever did to my car was put 18's on it and honestly, i was really dissapointed. it almost made the front wheel gap look worse, in my opinion. i immediatly threw some teins on and now its perfect. as far as wheels go, ive had enkei's, tsw's, racing harts, bbs, drag, etc... you get what you pay for. there are so many wheels companies to choose from it can be overwhelming when trying to reaserch and decide on what set suits you. if you just want your car to look a little better than maybe you should just go with a less expensive brand. if you are planning on racing this car and going to the track than you definatly wabt something strong but lightweight and thats when youre looking at spending a whole lot more. my car is driven on a daily basis. its not a show car, its not a race car. i just wanted to make it look a little diffrent and maybe do a few minor mods that the car would respond well to. so, it wasnt realistic for me to buy a set of volk's or ssr's for my galant. look for used wheels as well, i know people who have scored some sick wheels for super cheap, just for the mere fact that people generally dont like to buy used wheels, i dont care, wheels are wheels if they look ok than they look ok. ugly is ugly, yada yada yada. theres my 2 cents.

RedGalant2k1
02-01-2009, 11:00 AM
get 19" rims man thats wat i got and i love them!! or settle for 17" or 18" never put 15" on a G

Go get 19" wheels.. I currently have 18's and wished I got 19's..

And this is what they all say....another reason I went straight to 19s.

Look on Ebay or craigslist (and especially) TGC. There are members selling their wheels here all the time, that 1) we already know fit and 2) typically have tires already with them.

Here:
https://www.thegalantcenter.org/showthread.php?t=34455

Here:
https://www.thegalantcenter.org/showthread.php?t=34515

Both above threads are users selling 19s for really GREAT deals.

Boosted
02-01-2009, 11:34 AM
Really....Just save your money and go with 17s or 18s. Then, get some springs and struts or coilovers.

lonestar22
02-01-2009, 11:40 AM
only hondas should rock wheels that small cuz they can pull them off. we have way to big of a wheel well to look good on nineteens. theres cheap wheels for sale all over the place you just have to know where to look and know exactly what your options are.

qnz
02-01-2009, 12:19 PM
i would only go 18" if i plan on keeping the stock bumpers. if you had an aftermarket kit or even jdm bumpers, then 19" is def the way to go.

thanks for the sales pitch Red :)

charris
02-01-2009, 01:00 PM
Thanks for saving me the headache, guys. I've taken my money, and I'm sticking with steelies for now. I'm tossing my income into the suspension/engine.

This spring, I'm hoping to get the following done:

Leather seats - done
Urethane motor mounts - purchased
DC front strut brace - purchased
urethane suspension bushing kit
coilovers (prob. D2)
CAI (prob. Injen)
Gauges - still looking. Torn between S7 and glowshift (oil temp/press., voltage, tranny temp., EGT, A/F)

qnz
02-01-2009, 01:20 PM
those glowshift gauges wont do anything for you.

are you turbo'd? you dont need extra gauges except maybe tranny temp if youre not turbo'd

urathane bushings are harder to install than u think. its not for the feint of heart. you dont want to start doing them and then realize theyre a bitch to put in and end up with 1/2 stock bushing and 1/2 aftermarket. lol

ricky_db
02-01-2009, 05:09 PM
D's THROW SOME ON! 8)