PDA

View Full Version : Tire Rub Issue for 18s

Ryostyle
02-01-2003, 11:42 AM
I have some 18s I just put on my I4. Its rubbing on the rear driver side. Only in sharp turns, and when the car is weighed down with more than 2 people. I've read other posts suggesting a wheel alignment. However, every place I call and tell them about this problem, they tell me they won't touch it. So what really should I do? The mitsubishi service department says I should put back my original tires to avoid drive-train damage, which really scared the shit out of me. Like I said before, it only rubs on the rear driver-side tire. What should I do? Any suggestions?

Auto-9
02-01-2003, 11:50 AM
Actually the Galant is notorious for having a low backend with weight. Car and Driver constantly bottomed out in the rear. I dunno...you could live with the scraping, that's one option...but that drivetrain warning probably doesn't apply. You're sticking with your O.E. specs, just have a bigger wheel, don't see how that would kill the drivetrain (unless they mean the rotational mass is higher which in my experience most aftermarket 18s weigh less than the factory 16 stainless steels on my car).

VegasMatt
02-01-2003, 11:52 AM
You need to roll your fenders.

Prophet
02-01-2003, 12:17 PM
Yeah you might have to roll them Justin. You are running 18X8. Most people with 18's are running 18X7.5.

Jason

NRG
02-01-2003, 01:01 PM
It doesn't say you have aftermarket suspension....So I assume you have your 18s on your stock suspension....Well if you get aftermarket ones, I guarantee you won't rub because it will be much stiffer.........

But if you do have aftermarket suspension already, ignore this post.....

Prophet
02-01-2003, 02:00 PM
No he is still running on stock. He just got the rims.

Jason

Ryostyle
02-01-2003, 03:21 PM
clue me in on this rolling the fenders. I also found out through a little research that I have unidirectional tires. And right now the directions are conflicting. I'll fix that today. Is that maybe a contributing factor also?

pinoyesv6
02-01-2003, 08:43 PM
if u put ur hand on the wheel well, u can see it has a lil lip on the fender. tucking the fender pretty much means mending that lip in so u have a lil bit more clearance.

Ryostyle
02-03-2003, 08:50 PM
I took out my spare and I don't scrub anymore. I'm thinking of taking out the back seats and putting the spare in the empty spot, rally style. Dunno yet. But thanks guys, I'll probably just roll the fenders until I save up some money to do coilovers or progress springs. Thanx for the responses.

pinoyesv6
02-03-2003, 11:18 PM
No he is still running on stock. He just got the rims.

Jason

so what size tires are u using? if ur at stock height, lowerign ur car would jsut make it worse...

Ryostyle
02-04-2003, 03:46 PM
they're 18x8s. I wanna lower the front, but don't wanna lower the back. But damn, I gotta do something to raise the back a little. Do rolled fenders look crappy?

VegasMatt
02-04-2003, 04:19 PM
No they dont look crappy.

It makes it so that the wheel is able to tuck in that lip that you currently have.

I just find it odd that your on stock height and are rubbing. I am lowered and I only rub when I have three people in the car. And that only happens when I hit a good size bump and I get the bounce effect.

Dominicano
02-04-2003, 05:27 PM
does the wheel in the back stick out? maybe the offset if not correct if your wheels are not flush and sticking out, your offset is the culprit. what rims did you get?

pinoyesv6
02-04-2003, 07:41 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Ryostyle)</div><div class='quotemain'>they're 18x8s. I wanna lower the front, but don't wanna lower the back. But damn, I gotta do something to raise the back a little. Do rolled fenders look crappy?</div>

the rolled fenders don't look crappy if u do a good job. there are special tools used to roll ur fenders. but if ur homeboy just breaks out his baseball bat and rolls ur fenders for 5 dollars, then most likely its gonna look crappy

Auto-9
02-04-2003, 08:04 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(PinoyESV6)</div><div class='quotemain'>
the rolled fenders don't look crappy if u do a good job. there are special tools used to roll ur fenders. but if ur homeboy just breaks out his baseball bat and rolls ur fenders for 5 dollars, then most likely its gonna look crappy</div>

Man I can't get over that one :laughing: Better yet, have a courtesy fender rolling session by ticking off the wrong guy...

pinoyesv6
02-04-2003, 08:12 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rallifan)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(PinoyESV6)</div><div class='quotemain'>
the rolled fenders don't look crappy if u do a good job. there are special tools used to roll ur fenders. but if ur homeboy just breaks out his baseball bat and rolls ur fenders for 5 dollars, then most likely its gonna look crappy</div>

Man I can't get over that one :laughing: Better yet, have a courtesy fender rolling session by ticking off the wrong guy...</div>

actually thats a djplay tutorial from the old TGC....

Ryostyle
02-05-2003, 12:08 AM
lol, okay you guys got jokes. lol. https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/tongue.gif I got some american racing rims. As for what type. I have no clue. I got em free off my boy when his eclipse got repo'd. Maybe I should have gotten some japanese racing rims....lol. I think the rims might be funky, cuz my boy says they rubbed on his eclipse sometimes. But like I said before, it only rubs on the rear driver side. It could because I have a heavy exhaust muffler. After I've taken out the spare and cleared my trunk it no longer rubs. But I haven't filled the car with more than 2 people again. So I dunno if it'll rub again. but somethin still feels wrong, I'm wondering if I have a weak spring. Feels like at times the car teeter totters.

TJC
02-05-2003, 02:26 AM
First off, the dealer that told you it's gonna ruin your drive train is full of it; it is highly unlikely. And you still have your stock suspension which is another reason why it may be a tell-tale sign that your stock shocks are gone now; the stock height should give you plenty of clearance as the stock gap is HUGE. If you have 30k or more on them, you might want to consider aftermarket ones to make it stiffer and not necessarily for a drop as it's already rubbing. Your offset is probably not deep enough too but it did come off an Eclipse but who knows. 18x8's should not be a problem unless your tires are wider than 225.