PDA

View Full Version : Transmission

HiperSilver
02-01-2003, 01:40 PM
Aight my trans is slowly getting more messed up as days go by, prolly gonna need a rebuild in a few months.

How much is it to rebuild a transmission at cheapest and average?

How much would it totally cost to get a level ten and then have someone install it?

cantbeatmy97
02-02-2003, 11:07 AM
thank goid i had an aftermarket warrenty and it covered that i just had mine rebuilt bout a couple of months ago it cost them 2800. after that i needed another torque convertor because the 1 they bout seized up and i almost hit some1.then it went in bout 3-4 times after that for stupid shit that they never fixed so good luck to where u get yurs done.i would go w/ bulletproof gears and components from levelten i heard there pretty good if u dont go that way spend the money and get it from the factory.

BEAST
02-03-2003, 02:38 PM
Mine cost about 1600 and was in there about 3 weeks because they were having trouble with it. They finally had to get me another used tranny and rebuild that because mine was giving them so much trouble. I am still not happy with it. If I floor it off the line it will slip most of the time and the down shifts are very hard.

seth98esT
02-03-2003, 03:59 PM
Mine is starting to show signs of wear i belive...i was driving off a ramp and floored it to get up to speed of other traffice. instead of shifting down a gear, it shifted into neutral untill i let off the gas completly. it was very weird, first time its ever happened

Mazarin
02-03-2003, 05:52 PM
Mine's gonna go sooner or later. So I'm just gonna grab a 2G GST 5-speed tranny. Figure it costs a testicle for a new tranny, why not get one you want?

HiperSilver
02-03-2003, 05:55 PM
5 speed?
you do realize that is going to be one super hard job, i talked to some guys who did it on a dub, guy had more knowledge than all hell and it was the hardest 9 hours ever he said.

It would be prolly smarter to get a level ten i think. I mean unless u going all out race, i suggest not swapping in a 5speed for pure love of driving, its one hard ass project.

seth98esT
02-03-2003, 06:24 PM
i agree with Maz :biggrin: i figure getting a 2g 5spd would be a "fun" project :lauging:

QnzMostWanted
02-04-2003, 08:40 AM
for a 5 speed swap, all u need is a donor 2g, use the shifter assembly, clutch brak assembly, the linkage and tranny, a slave cylinder

to make it simple

here is the tutorial

http://www.ecanfix.com/~mdhamilton/autotomanual.html ('http://www.ecanfix.com/~mdhamilton/autotomanual.html')

TurboGalant
02-04-2003, 02:25 PM
For the money, a 5sp may be a better deal.

I sent my tranny and TC to levelten to find out that my tranny was too far gone for them to fix, so they secured me another one, worked their majic and sent it back. Had a local shop install it.

All told, ran $5K.

I have broke traction going into second. Never did that before. It does grab and go.

If you just need to rebuild it, it will cost almost as much as replacing it. Start contacting shops, getting quotes.

Good Luck.

HiperSilver
02-05-2003, 01:29 PM
woah wait, turbogalant you sent your tranny to level10?

what was wrong with your tranny that made u send it in, lose of gears? and how did they decide that it was too gone to rebuild.

Im in the process of getting my tranny rebuilt, and i was wondering if i could just buy the rebuilt kit and have a local shop do it. how much u think they would charge to rebuilt the trans?

TurboGalant
02-06-2003, 02:07 PM
The prices I got quoted were pretty close, rebuilding was almost as expensive as a new one.
I fried my planetary gears, and it was further damaged in shipping. Level10 could not fix it economically, so he recommended I get a used one and go from there. I got the works done on it, with the TC upgrade.

That $5K was the bottom line, included all shipping, a used tranny, the rebuild, the upgrades, shipping back, installation, a new tranny radiator, and synthetic fluid and all applicable taxes.

You can get the rebuild kit and have a local shop do it, but opening up an auto tranny is not going to be cheap unless you have a serious hook up.

I sent it to them because I have no confidence in any shop within reasonable driving distance. That is also why I am going out of state to get my engine rebuilt.

HiperSilver
02-06-2003, 08:55 PM
hell if it costs 5k, my parents will say screw it and ill just get a gs-t.

but if for 2k it can be done ill do it. luckily around here we have AMS a shop that specializes in DSM, and i know some people that work there and go there so its all good.

manybrews
02-06-2003, 09:50 PM
send that sucker to ME! ill fix 'er up.

4g64terror
02-14-2003, 08:15 PM
for all u guys saying its so hard to swap a 5 speed in a 7g...i just did it in a week with no check engine codes or anything...im writing a how to and have about 70 pics

4g64terror
02-14-2003, 08:18 PM
purchased one hybrid 14b with 7cm exhaust housing..1g manifold and cnc ported 02 housing...starion intercooler next week... the 5 speed swapped 95 model is about to be a turbo five speed swapped 95

ablythe
04-03-2003, 01:13 AM
My torque converter stripped out last week on the way to Austin. Guess the asshole at AAMCO didn't replace it like the invoice said when they charged $1,700 to the first owner. When I pulled it out, the evidence suggested that it was original.

I went to DAACO DETROIT and picked up a newly rebuilt converter (CT-12) for $88. The rebuild kit for the tranny was only $80. That included the clutches, band, seals and gaskets.

I had a friend overhaul the tranny in about 2 hours at his shop. I brought the parts and he did the work for $350. Its not what you know, its who you know. The tranny is a KM-175/176. I reinstalled it and it works like a charm. No problems. Shifts like a dream. If you are in the north Texas area and you want the "hook-up", let me know. Email me at [email protected]

I can drop a tranny in only a few hours with the right tools. If you took the car to a tranny shop and asked them for a turn-key job, you're looking at $2000. I figure that I saved about $1,500. I only need to save another $1,500 and I owe myself a turbo upgrade, right?? https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif

AB
Dallas, TX

4g64terror
04-03-2003, 08:10 AM
well the problem with that auto is you are VERY limited as far as power goes unless u throw a level 10 in there..even if its brand new those trannies are still weak...i jus had to go manual

ablythe
04-03-2003, 05:42 PM
4g64 terror,

I saw your posting on your manual/ auto trans conversion. I will keep an eye out in the local paper and auto trader for a salvaged 94-98 manual trans galant. I know auto trannies don't last forver and the next time it wants to die, I'll just bury it!

You did an outstanding job on your car. If I decide I want to upgrade the engine with turbo, I'll need a 5spd to handle it. For now, I drive like a nice mild-mannered citizen.

AB
Dallas, TX

Dukeplaya31
04-04-2003, 01:29 AM
You cannot compare the automatic 7g with the manual 7g. There really is no comparison.
I had a 98 ES a/t with the full levelten rebuild and brand new TQ, I definetly liked it and it was MUCH MUCH better than stock...but honestly there is nothing like a manual. Much more torque, much more control, weight reduction, and hell you can chirp tires in second and third.
I now have a 98 ES that came stock with a 5spd transmission. It's kind of weird actually...the listing when I bought it said 98 DE but the car's emblem on the back is ES and it came fully loaded. The manual also says 98 ES 5spd...I think it may have been a prototype of some sort because as far as I know there were no 98 ES' made.
But anyway, back to topic. I have a manual 98 now w/ a act 2100 clutch,rre lightened flywheel, and a b&m shortshifter...to all that are thinking of going manual...DO IT. You won't be unhappy with the result.

This is my first post in a while, so whoever that reads it and needs parts from me off my old car (i forgot who and what parts, sorry) please pm me immediately as I am finally in the process of building up my new car and swapping parts over and will not need my totalled galant very soon.

4g64terror
04-04-2003, 08:22 AM
oh yeah with the 2.4's torque puttin that five speed in TRANSFORMED my car!!!this thing will annilate the tires just by rolling into the gas in first..my only problem with turbochargeing it i see will be making the damn thing hook enough to race it....and this was supposed to be my everyday driver point A to point B car!!!lol screw it