PDA

View Full Version : AMSS headers...I think

SuperchargedGTZ
02-01-2003, 03:51 PM
last night all of sudden i started getting this really LOUD noise from under neath the car. it sounds like an exhaust leak from the headers, but i am gonna have to check it out tommorow. Ross from RIPP said that these headers like to expand on the joints and eventually come loose and they leak. has anyone else had this problem yet?

Fishboy55
02-01-2003, 05:28 PM
Not yet, and I've had headers longer than anyone on the board. But then again I'm not running boost. RPW headers are mild steel, so they expand and contract pretty well. So far (knock on wood) no problems.

Chip

SuperchargedGTZ
02-01-2003, 06:50 PM
well i found the leak. those gaskets are a piece of shit. the gasket from the front 3 collectors to the Y connector. i seperated the 2 and found the gasket in half. So what can i do now? where the hell can i get a gasket that will be compatible with the headers?

is no gasket better than half a gasket until a get a new one?

D03GTZ
02-01-2003, 09:22 PM
Well anything is better than nothing. How about Fel-Pro? They make top quality gaskets for almost every other car. Try asking them. They might need to know some dimensions but I would like to know also.

pinoyesv6
02-01-2003, 09:34 PM
try an auto parts store or an exhaust shop. they should have the gasket u are looking for...

SuperchargedGTZ
02-01-2003, 11:06 PM
thanks peps....i am gonna try Pep boys or something, than midas or meineke. i have half the gasket, but anything will be better than nothing like you said. i need something though because without the gasket the collectors dont even come close to fitting the Y. i will let you all know when i find out tommorow.

i am just glad i found the problem and it wasnt something serious.

BlankMan
02-02-2003, 08:32 AM
There's also hi-temp 'gasket maker'. It's a compound that comes in a tube - you lay it out on the parts to be gasketized, let it setup, put em back together and voila. I know it works well for hi-temp exahuast applications - I used it in my olde 90 Prelude at the exhuast port/headers joint.

J

D03GTZ
02-02-2003, 12:38 PM
No, I would definitely not use that on exhaust, especially not for header gasket! we use that all the time for intake manifolds, oil pans, trans pans(sometimes) and things like that. You could try it but when you do get the gasket from wherever you will have a hard time removing the silicone gasket. Just my 2 cents

SuperchargedGTZ
02-02-2003, 12:52 PM
thanks guys....i got the gasket and the other stuff just in case.

FYI....just an standard header (collector) gasket 2.5", got it from Pep Boys. Brand is Mr. Gasket.

D03GTZ
02-02-2003, 01:07 PM
That should be fine for at least a while. I wouldnt plan on that lasting too much longer than whatever gasket you got with the headers, though. I would still try to find one from Fel-Pro

SuperchargedGTZ
02-03-2003, 07:18 AM
actually it is exactly the same gasket. I compared. so what does that tell us?

Fishboy55
02-03-2003, 07:54 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(GTZ27)</div><div class='quotemain'>actually it is exactly the same gasket. Â*I compared. Â*so what does that tell us?</div>
Ummmm That Fel-Pro isn't worth the extra cash???? :roll:

Chip

SuperchargedGTZ
02-03-2003, 03:28 PM
i wasnt being a SNOT i was just trying to say that maybe the AMSS gaskets/headers arent all that great.

sorry D03GTZ

r-ezz.e
02-03-2003, 05:45 PM
Well GTZ27 i know ur situation is different cuz ur gasket cracked but.... being that i'm not a wiz in tuning, however this last sunday morning i was was watching that show on TNN i think Trucks or something....one of the Rodder shows.....anyways. They say that when installing new headers, u would have to let the car run then cool it down then retighten or retourque the screws....u gotta do this a few times he says cuz the gasket obviously expands. But he says by doing this, it will prevent leakage. Just wanted to pass that knowledge i learned in tuning 101 :wink:

SuperchargedGTZ
02-04-2003, 07:06 AM
Thanks.....i will retighten tonight.