PDA

View Full Version : 4 lug to 5 lug swap

dmdvzla
01-31-2009, 01:17 PM
I searched but did not find any threads on this subject.

Does anybody know what is involved to replace my 4 lug pattern rims to a 5 lug pattern as the newer Galants?? I am shopping for new rims but there is more variety on 5 lug than 4 lug.

mko
01-31-2009, 01:22 PM
You need 5 lug rear hubs, 5 lug rear rotors /you can also redrill them/

I didnt get to press out the 4 lug front hubs, but got new 5 lug spindles. Also, the 95-00 Avenger or Serbring come with ABS, so youll have the holes for the sensors.

Redrill or get 95-99 Eclipse RS, GS, GST 5 lug rotors or 00-03 galant single piston front rotors

dmdvzla
01-31-2009, 01:38 PM
You need 5 lug rear hubs, 5 lug rear rotors /you can also redrill them/

I didnt get to press out the 4 lug front hubs, but got new 5 lug spindles. Also, the 95-00 Avenger or Serbring come with ABS, so youll have the holes for the sensors.

Redrill or get 95-99 Eclipse RS, GS, GST 5 lug rotors or 00-03 galant single piston front rotors

So, I don't need to get new brake calipers (front and rear) to do this conversion?? I could just use the original ones on my GS?
Now, is this a hard task to do or is it fairly easy (I see you have already done it)

starh4x
01-31-2009, 01:44 PM
I think for me I can steal legnum hubs or vr4 Galant hubs if I ever wanted 5 stud.

mko
01-31-2009, 03:37 PM
So, I don't need to get new brake calipers (front and rear) to do this conversion?? I could just use the original ones on my GS?
Now, is this a hard task to do or is it fairly easy (I see you have already done it)

Nah, its easy, it should take you 2-3-4 hours

Blue Ice
01-31-2009, 11:57 PM
https://www.thegalantcenter.org/showthread.php?t=14351
you must not have searched too hard.

dmdvzla
02-01-2009, 02:58 PM
https://www.thegalantcenter.org/showthread.php?t=14351
you must not have searched too hard.

Thanks for the info, I did not find that thread because the tittle was "7G Rear Drum to Disk". My car came stock with rear disc brakes so I only wanted to find out about the 5 lug swap (front and rear)
I'm still not sure what I need for the front swap?? and second, the hubs and spindles I need could be from any 2g eclipse (turbo or non-turbo)???

mko
02-01-2009, 03:28 PM
95-00 avenger or sebring is more likely cuz its more common for these to have ABS,; 95-99 Eclipse only GSX came with ABS, but not sure

Blue Ice
02-02-2009, 03:40 AM
The part number for the abs 5 lug hub assembly will most likely be the same for all models. I know for sure that the 2g eclipse hub will fit. the abs hub assemblies will have the gear like teeth as shown in this picture.
http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g259/MrHighC/Blue%20Ice/rearassclose.jpg

DOHCstunr
02-02-2009, 08:23 AM
there is a guy on ebay that sells brand new abs rear hubs for for 75 shipped for each pair.
thats where I got my rear hubs.

front hubs are the same whether you have abs or not.

mko
02-02-2009, 08:29 AM
youre right, I never paid attention cuz I dont have abs

dmdvzla
02-02-2009, 07:59 PM
there is a guy on ebay that sells brand new abs rear hubs for for 75 shipped for each pair.
thats where I got my rear hubs.

front hubs are the same whether you have abs or not.

So, do I just have to buy the front and rear hubs plus the front and rear rotors fro the swap?? no front knuckles or rear spindles.....I am sorry, I am a little confused with the terminology.

Could someone please post a list of the exact parts I need so I can take it to the dealer...THANKS!
And also what place is recommended to buy this stuff without braking the bank (hubs and perhaps drilled rotors??

dmdvzla
02-02-2009, 08:06 PM
The part number for the abs 5 lug hub assembly will most likely be the same for all models. I know for sure that the 2g eclipse hub will fit. the abs hub assemblies will have the gear like teeth as shown in this picture.
Since There have been some guys that told me the swap has to be from a 2G eclipse I went ahead and called Mitsu today. They confermed all hubs for 2G Eclipse are the same (turbo and non-turbo with 4 disc brakes) supossedly all GST and GSX came ABS not GS nor RS models. From what car did you do the swap? I mean NOT the rear drum to disc, but the 5 lug convertion?

mko
02-02-2009, 09:24 PM
dmdvzla, if you need ABS 5 lug rear hubs, let me know. i can get them for you. pm me.

dmdvzla
02-02-2009, 09:48 PM
dmdvzla, if you need abs 5 lug rear hubs, let me know. I can get them for you. Pm me.

pm sent

dmdvzla
02-04-2009, 07:25 PM

When you did the front swap, did you just unpressed the hub from your original knuckle and put the 5 lug hub, or did you replaced the whole thing?? if you did, from what car did you get it from?

Thanks

Blue Ice
02-05-2009, 01:36 AM
i think it talks about how to press out the hub from the knuckle. Which that is what i did to get the hub out. i did not have to change the whole knuckle, but i did, becasue i destryed the ABS sensor when trying to get the initial 4 lug hub out. i think i later explain how to get the hub out if it is seized with rust. If you have access to a press, then you can get the hub out with that, sand down the rust inside the hub casing, then intall the new hub.

sorry for any misspelled words, i've been drinking :D