PDA

View Full Version : Would any SFL members be interested in doing some work on my Mitsu?

surtak
02-02-2009, 03:11 AM
Hi,
I'm new to these forums. Occasional reader, I live in Ft.Lauderdale.
My Galant is I4 02 stock. Recently its been feeling like its falling apart, only has 85k.

There are vibrations, ticking noise, wierd issues with my ac, heater etc. Clicks when I set the air too cold, won't produce any heat.

My number one concern is handling. Took the car on one too many dirt roads. Have 2 dented rims, about to switch out to oem 17" eclipse rims and tires.
Ride just doesnt feel like it used to, power transfer acceleration issues etc.

I haven't been too caring to this car over the years, only service I've done was change the timing belt&drivetrain belt at around 75k.

I don't have that much money to spend, but was wondering what would you guys charge for some work?
I need new shocks/struts for rear, probably do all around. (not sure if i need bushing tie rods endings etc)
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/_Car-Truck-Parts-Accessories__KYB-STRUTS-SHOCKS-SPRINGS-MITSUBISHI-GALANT-99-to-03_W0QQitemZ400028012321QQadiZ2865QQadnZCarQ20Q26Q 20TruckQ20PartsQ20Q26Q20AccessoriesQQcmdZViewItemQ QptZMotors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories?hash=item40 0028012321&_trksid=p4506.c0.m245&_trkparms=72%3A543%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318
Is this a good kit?

Reading these forums my vibrations sounds like I need new motor/tranny mounts?

I'm not too good with cars, nor do I have the garage or tools to attempt repairs. I use my car for work daily 40-100miles a day depending.

Would like some quotes info etc.

Thanks

Cali
02-02-2009, 03:48 AM
i'll be in miami on the 17th for about 2 weeks if you want me to check it out....

qnz
02-02-2009, 08:36 AM
if you come out to the meets, we can take a look at your car. check the south east members section for the next meet. You should come out too cali. Don't you usually rent a G when youre down here?

Galantfan88
02-02-2009, 08:46 AM
I wish I could help, but Im in NJ but mostly the Galant isnt an off road car so that would do some waring in things. KYB shocks and struts/springs are good. I have that in my car and it feels nice. Vibration in the motor might deff be motor mount but I would take it to you local dealer to just take a look and see what might need to be done. What could be happening well could be wrong about this guys, but it just sounds like your car is working over time and burnig out. Make sure you get oil and tranny fluid changed when need to, and get filters checked out. Bending your rims is not a good thing, b/c that means where ever you live damn must be doing some real damage. Deff have Cali take a look at it, and go to some meets. These guys can really help you, goodluck with everything.

youngfab59
02-03-2009, 11:51 PM
hmm if cali is comin to miami i think we should hold a meet that week??... but anyways where in fort lauderdale do you stay at??

surtak
02-05-2009, 04:33 PM
Cali, I'm def interested. I also see you have some stuff for sale in the other thread, not sure what you have left over.
Maybe the shocks/struts springs? How worn are they/damage from accident?

I switched out the rims and tires, it made the ride much smother. But car still pulls to the right, and not capable of evasive manuevers. Confirmed that my rear stock shocks are completely shot. So will be replacing them next asap.
I was looking on ebay for deals on KYB AGX Adjustable Shocks. Not sure what springs to get, is that combo i posted in the above link a good one?
I don't want my car too low, ride over many speedbumps.

Also would a rear sway bar do much improvement?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/_Car-Truck-Parts-Accessories__Mitsubishi-Galant-Addco-Rear-Anti-Sway-Bar-RSB-2149_W0QQitemZ300221179607QQadiZ2865QQadnZCarQ20Q2 6Q20TruckQ20PartsQ20Q26Q20AccessoriesQQcmdZViewIte mQQptZMotors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories
This one any good, do I need any extra parts to have this installed?

Galantfan88: I did a scheduled service with timing belt change etc, it was supposed to include a tranny flush. They didn't detail that in the service receipt, so not too sure.
The car oil I have been using since about 40k has been Mobil 1 extended performance (claims to last 12k or so before changing) I have been averaging changes every 6-8k.
I'm not sure if its motor mounts, because it happens randomly, and is in spurts. Then vibrations stop. maybe oil/bad filter not sure. I'm hoping nothign is wrong with the engine.

Younfab; I live in Sunrise, not too far from Sawgrass Mall area.

Qnz: I'll try to make it to the next meet, my car is far from show condition though :) Dings scratches, bumper paint issues.

I may be working that day, have to check.

qnz
02-08-2009, 09:51 AM
for your situation, a set of good springs and shocks would be best. look into the kyb-agx's for the eclipse 00-05. theyre about $480 on ebay. add the springs you already bought, should be about $650 total for a refreshed suspension. The cheapest name brand coilovers are still $950+

doing the suspension is straightforward. its not hard at all but easier with 2 people. If you can find the space for it, we could try to make a meet out of it. I have the tools for it, just no driveway.

Cali
02-08-2009, 01:34 PM
i have two used kyb gr's available...you have them both for 100 bucks.

let me take them apart tomorrow to make sure they're good.

surtak
02-09-2009, 12:31 PM
Ok after hunting around for a while found what seems like a awesome deal.
Not sure about the shop summit auto racing. Promised if I ordered today I should have by Wensday.

Mfg Name Part Number Description Quantity Unit Price Total
KYB 734020 KYB 734020 1 US$122.34 US$122.34
KYB 734019 KYB 734019 1 US$119.35 US$119.35
KYB 741020 KYB 741020 2 US$97.46 US$194.92
Product Cost US$436.61
Shipping Cost Free
Coupon Discount US$-43.66
Total US$392.95

Qnz, I would like to set them up this coming weekend if your available.
[hopefully Cali ships me my springs soon :) ]
Driving past 60mph in the car is suicidal right now. I think I may have a space for it & some tools.

qnz
02-09-2009, 12:37 PM
Summit is trust worthy. I order from them a few times a yr. their prices are usually retail tho. A better deal could have been had but I guess you dont have that time

surtak
02-09-2009, 12:41 PM
Well I beat ebay :)
$392.95 including shipping was the best I could find for the AGX.

http://www.kybagx.com/shop/item.asp?itemid=779
was the 2nd cheapest for $425 for the set.

Confused the site, ordered from http://www.streetsideauto.com/

Johnathansgalant
02-10-2009, 02:45 PM
thats a great price - i got mine fr 360 but it took a while the average price is 420 plus shipping so its cool.. if u got a spot ill help u out too very easy i did mine by myself

qnz
02-10-2009, 03:11 PM
my car will be down this weekend for maintenance

surtak
02-10-2009, 03:44 PM
thats a great price - i got mine fr 360 but it took a while the average price is 420 plus shipping so its cool.. if u got a spot ill help u out too very easy i did mine by myself

Yeah that be cool, I have no clue what I'll be doing. I got a friends place in Plantation Acres by Sawgrass we can use, large driveway, and hes got the tools. Although not sure if he got the spring compressor.

Shocks arrive tommorow, Cali is shipping the springs out today I think. So will have it ready for setup Sat/Sun if youre available.

Johnathansgalant
02-10-2009, 11:39 PM
i should have spring compressors so thats coo

surtak
02-17-2009, 02:26 AM
Update:

Qnz/John thanks for offering your help, too bad it didnt' work out on the day planned.
But I appriciate the offer non the less.

Spend a good 5 hours installing just the rear struts with Tiens-s. With semi proper equipment, found old metal spring compressors which required compelete assembly and dissembly with bolts&nuts every time, were a total pain to work with.

Ran into a little trouble with my rear driver side strut having an acid battery like corrosion on the bolt, would not come off, sprayed with a whole can of some lubricant and teflon coating... in the end had to saw it off to get the parts off the strut.

The old schocks were shot so bad you can press them down and they wouldnt even move back up for a good two minutes, then slowly come out 5min later.

Set the rear Kyb to 4s. With the Tien drop &new shocks the back is actually higher than with the blown sturts :)

When I drove home, man the ride feels super stiff to me. I felt every single bump in the road. Harder than the blown shocks by far. Sometime feels like the chassis might be hitting the wheel or something.

But handles much nicer, I dunno might take me some getting used to...

Need to install the fronts next. Not sure what I should set the front to, I don't think I'll enjoy 4s in the front considering I spend 75-100miles a day in my car.

I didn't get a camber kit though since I read it's pointless if you dont know the offset.

Would Tire Kingdom /Meinake etc put one on as part of an alignment if needed?
(The wheels I got are 17" with 245/40/17)

qnz
02-17-2009, 08:34 AM
4 is max stiff. you want to set them to 2s all around.

Im surprised you had so much rust on the bolt you coudlnt get it out. a can of PB blaster is your friend.

you should go to Guy's place if you ever need to buy tires or do your alignment. He hooked up TGC members with a very good price. Not sure how good of a job/deal tire kingdom does.

I'll be free this Sat if you wanna give the fronts a go.

surtak
02-17-2009, 11:12 AM
Yea my friend said hes never seen that before, it was on top of it inside the car. He said they must have messed up at the factory somehow. That or some fluke where water got into the shock and shot up, cause the shocks were in such bad shape. I got the fronts done for $100 this morning.

Where is Guys shop? I see hes profile says tamarac which is right by me.
I have a mailer coupon for Meineke for $49.99 for 4wheel alignment.(although a lot of times auto coupons are bait and switch to lure you in)

My mechanic had a quick look at the the motor he says it sounds like my lifters. Told me to change the oil and the filter anyway. I put a K&N filter today well see if that works better than the Fram 75000 high mileage premium filter I've used last.(mobil 1 prior though).

If continues I guess I need new lifters 16 of them...and that's expensive.

Whats the downside with running a 85k mileage engine with bad lifters?

Btw I cheated on the galant this weekend. friend was down with 2005 Audio A4 1.8t quatro with ecu upgrade to 250hp , was too messed up to drive. So I had a nice test drive from west palm, was doing 120-130 in fog on sawgrass expessway at 4am with cvt. I think I'm in love, wish the galant drove like that.
The check engine light came on the Audi next morning though..but then went away..whoops.

4 is max stiff. you want to set them to 2s all around.

Im surprised you had so much rust on the bolt you coudlnt get it out. a can of PB blaster is your friend.

you should go to Guy's place if you ever need to buy tires or do your alignment. He hooked up TGC members with a very good price. Not sure how good of a job/deal tire kingdom does.

I'll be free this Sat if you wanna give the fronts a go.

qnz
02-17-2009, 08:17 PM
snikes! $100 for just the fronts? john and I were gonna do it for free lunch.

you dont need to change your lifters. Its not gonna fix the noise. we told you, your engine sounds normal. lol. theres nothing wrong with them. they just make (unintentional) noise by design. try switching to some quailty oil and see if the noise disappears. i use 5w30 mobile1.

The goodyear station that Guy manages is at
6852 north unversity dr.
Tamarac, FL, 33321

I forgot what I paid for the alignment but it was around that price and that included the installation of my camber kit and it came with a 1 year warranty.

02redgalant
02-17-2009, 08:47 PM
I wouldn't waste your money on lifters...try sticking with OEM oil filters..there about the same price maybe less for aftermarket filters and you can get that drain plug washer so it doesn't stick everytime you change your oil....good quality oil with a good oil change regiment does a lot..I don't have lifter tick issues..i had it once after a few dry starts from a dead battery..even then it went away after driving around.

Johnathansgalant
02-18-2009, 11:00 AM
set them to 2 all the way around 4 is the stiffest and the harshist ride so dont use it.. I was gonna ask u if u wanted to do it this weekend sorry it didnt work out.. good to hear its running... dont use kn oil filters way expensive -- i use mobil one with mobil synthetic oil but lifter tick will never ever go away u just get used to it slowly.. hahah

surtak
02-23-2009, 01:57 PM
Yeah I was impatient.
Well been running my car for a week with new oil. I still don't like the sounds its making, But everyone tells me it's ok. It's really bad when its cold out in the middle of the night.

I'm just paranoid cause my dad's focus was making sounds, everyone said it was ok. Then piston blew out at 107k

I tried to see with the new shocks if my car could go stable at 120mph like it used to back in the day. Did it at 3am on Sawgrass Expressway,(usually dead on there at that time) car got to 110mph but was struggling.& With my luck, got pulled over by 2 FHP cars, after I got off the exit ramp and almost to the first traffic light.
Surprisingly they only caught me at 84 in a 65, which was good, but still $240 ticket :( .

As far as free lunch, heres some Quiznos.
Free Lunch http://www.millionsubs.com/Reg.php

I still need some more work to the car, I wouldnt mind going to the junk yard one of these weekends if you guys are up for that. Still need the part to control heat/cold clicking.

Johnathansgalant
02-23-2009, 08:40 PM
side note when u install struts u need an alignment because u messed with the alignment of the suspension so u should get an alignment asap