PDA

View Full Version : Post Count Suggestion

spdracr
02-03-2009, 01:26 AM
so i have been thinking about this for a while and here is how it goes

i know that the post count has been disabled in certain parts of the forum which i think it was a great idea but now that we have all these noobs joinly on almost daily bases and posting none-sense stuff on here, i think that the post count should be only enabled in the generations section along with the tech section and be disabled everywhere else, this way our rank that has been added recently can truely reflect who we really are

we know who is a post whore and who is not but lets not have a lot of them around here, the noobs are getting annoying with their worthless questions about stuff that have been discussed 235925845093803986 times before and hopefully we can do something about it

what do u guys think about this ??

dwjp90
02-03-2009, 01:28 AM
agreed, and a ranking system (ie stars or "rep")
and on the same note noobs should have to have new threads approved

polishmafia
02-03-2009, 07:44 AM
http://www.polishmafia.com/postalot.gif

JDM4G64T
02-03-2009, 08:01 AM

HAHA, Alex not a bad idea.............let's see what "upper management" thinks of this..... lol.

JoeRad
02-03-2009, 08:30 AM
I know im reasonably new here too, but how about a lenght of time related title, instead of purely count based, maybe like probationary post count amount to no longer be noob, but a time related stint to be more than member

9G
02-03-2009, 09:06 AM

lol

Proto
02-03-2009, 09:39 AM
As of right now NEWBIES must be here 45 days and 50 posts to become an actual "new member". Post counts are disabled in all the misc forums but I like the idea of disabling them in other sections except the marketplace.

99 galant
02-03-2009, 09:54 AM
i dont think post count every where is a big deal. im not going for the highest post count but it just shows who talks and who doesnt.

spdracr
02-03-2009, 11:09 AM
i dont think post count every where is a big deal. im not going for the highest post count but it just shows who talks and who doesnt.

are you serious ?? So how many members have you met in person and how many meets have you been to ?? You are the biggest post whore and or of the reason I want this to gothrough

Our post count should reflect our knowledge not who talks and who don't. We all can talk unless we has no tongue but who cares about talking it's about knowledge but not to you apparently

End of rant

Proto I hope you can discuss this with the other admins and mods can really consider this

00galantguy
02-03-2009, 11:14 AM
are you serious ?? So how many members have you met in person and how many meets have you been to ?? You are the biggest post whore and or of the reason I want this to gothrough

Our post count should reflect our knowledge not who talks and who don't. We all can talk unless we has no tongue but who cares about talking it's about knowledge but not to you apparently

End of rant

Proto I hope you can discuss this with the other admins and mods can really consider this

this would get complicated but if there was some sort of like meet count that could add to it that would be awesome too. It would really show status. But yea there are a lot of post whores. I see a lot of people who just post in every thread just to post. I am not singleing you out 99galant I have nothing against you. Im just saying I see so many people who merely say something that doesnt even help. I mean we all do that on occasion but myself I try to only post if I have something useful to say. Thats why my post count isnt in the thousands.

RAZ_76
02-03-2009, 11:22 AM
I really don't care about rankings, how long you been here or post count. What difference does it make?? All of that just singles people out anyway. There are members here since 2005 and barely post and there are members here since 2007 and 2008 that totally support this forum.

spdracr
02-03-2009, 11:48 AM
I really don't care about rankings, how long you been here or post count. What difference does it make?? All of that just singles people out anyway. There are members here since 2005 and barely post and there are members here since 2007 and 2008 that totally support this forum.

so what is supporting to you ?? Just like 00galantguy said there are people that post in thread just for the hell of it and there are people that contributes to the topic

For example I posted a while back to ask about carpc monitors and whether to get a 4:3 or 16:9 and here comes 99 galant posting in there with nothing related to the the thread at all, now remember he isn't the only one that does that I can name a handful of members that do just the same.

I just want this place to get better and I think this will help

IceDouTGaLanT
02-03-2009, 11:53 AM
Tech forum, market place, year generations ( 6, 7, 8, 9th) should count only. Everything else nope. We should have a E-Rep thing like club3g kinda cool.

RAZ_76
02-03-2009, 11:59 AM
For example I posted a while back to ask about carpc monitors and whether to get a 4:3 or 16:9 and here comes 99 galant posting in there with nothing related to the the thread at all, now remember he isn't the only one that does that I can name a handful of members that do just the same.

People should get warnings for those things. Why do you think I got banned?? Because some noob was giving out bad advice and I corrected him. We need a tough warning system followed by bans, not post count. People will be people, or should I say Kids will be kids. People that should get banned around here don't. Just like certain Moderators should not be Moderators. it's just like anywhere else you go. Jobs, school, the mall....etc.

99 galant
02-03-2009, 12:02 PM

End of rant

dude you want to point me out for one? okay how many people backed Jesus before you all got fucked.

my point is proven. i dont give a fuck who i meet. i know that if you do business with me you wont be done wrong. ask anyone who ive fucking bought from or sold from.

RAZ_76
02-03-2009, 12:04 PM
No cursing guys. It's not OT and you might just disappear.

IceDouTGaLanT
02-03-2009, 12:07 PM
People should get warnings for those things. Why do you think I got banned?? Because some noob was giving out bad advice and I corrected him. We need a tough warning system followed by bans, not post count. People will be people, or should I say Kids will be kids. People that should get banned around here don't. Just like certain Moderators should not be Moderators. it's just like anywhere else you go. Jobs, school, the mall....etc.

i agree with the statement, I see alot of s*** which people need to be reprimanded for which sometimes has no relevance to a topic yet they open their mouth. Im not saying we need to be strict, but we should crack down on some things so others know it wont be tolerated at TGC. at the end of the day its a CAR forum, people come here to learn, ask and get away from reality and just have fun, so lets not turn this into some consecration camp or anything but have some regulation. I personally think we dont have enough MODS anymore like we used to at one point in time, maybe this is why alot of ruckus started. But im not saying the mods now arent doing a great job, i just think we need more help to make the forum run better.

99 galant
02-03-2009, 12:10 PM

take a joke for once. goddam. do you know how many people that ask for photoshops on other sites and get some bs about something else and the whole thread turns into a chat about something else? its not a big deal. its a forum for chat.

Galant306m
02-03-2009, 12:11 PM
I dont think limiting post counts will really matter. How much do people actually pay attention to what other people are up to. I had to go look and see how many i have to see if i was a post whore. (i think im doing pretty good at not being one.) I like the REP idea though, it will show who is posting useful information and who is just posting nonsense. Just remember Noobs will always be here, we want them to keep coming to help make the community bigger, Dont knock them down just because they are new, help them out, get them to where they need to be. We where all the a noob once and some of us still are, and some of us have moved on to the next level.

IceDouTGaLanT
02-03-2009, 12:15 PM
Which is exactly why i help out any newb or regular member if they ever pm me from 5 speed swaps, JDM parts to even fitment of their kits. Face it none of us knew anything when we joined, its because other older members helped us, so its only fair if we help others. I personally would help anybody as long as they do some basic research or know what their talking about. if you pm me asking " how do i make my galant run 10s? i wont respond to you sorry. But if you ask me a logical question ill be more then glad to help to the best of my knowledge.

RAZ_76
02-03-2009, 12:16 PM
Club3G has strict rules and it works. People are still there, OTther is real, everything goes, post don't get deleted, why because it's OT. If you start crap in Tech forums or anywhere else that's not OT, that thread gets moved to OT for bashing. Talking trash online is fun and relieves stress. Super punch out is great and all but mods need to start moving crap threads there and let myself and others have fun, instead of closing them and acting above everyone else. I don't know about most of you guys but when I get ready to punch someone in the face, I don't go wait!! We must first put our gloves on and go in to the ring. It just happens. Same with Super punch out, you can't always start a thread and expect it to bloom, crap happens and mods just need to move it there in the heat of the moment and let us get it off our chests.

RAZ_76
02-03-2009, 12:18 PM
Im stupid

RAZ_76
02-03-2009, 12:18 PM
I dont think limiting post counts will really matter. How much do people actually pay attention to what other people are up to. I had to go look and see how many i have to see if i was a post whore. (i think im doing pretty good at not being one.) I like the REP idea though, it will show who is posting useful information and who is just posting nonsense. Just remember Noobs will always be here, we want them to keep coming to help make the community bigger, Dont knock them down just because they are new, help them out, get them to where they need to be. We where all the a noob once and some of us still are, and some of us have moved on to the next level.

Which is exactly why i help out any newb or regular member if they ever pm me from 5 speed swaps, JDM parts to even fitment of their kits. Face it none of us knew anything when we joined, its because other older members helped us, so its only fair if we help others. I personally would help anybody as long as they do some basic research or know what their talking about. if you pm me asking " how do i make my galant run 10s? i wont respond to you sorry. But if you ask me a logical question ill be more then glad to help to the best of my knowledge.

I agree with you both, 100%

spdracr
02-03-2009, 12:20 PM
dude you want to point me out for one? okay how many people backed Jesus before you all got fucked.

my point is proven. i dont give a fuck who i meet. i know that if you do business with me you wont be done wrong. ask anyone who ive fucking bought from or sold from.

You get worked up easily I love it

Anyhow, so a noon comes here does his research on whatever he needs and finds lots of answers which helps him in a way but something he read confused him so now he needs help from someone to clarify something for him, judging by post count you would have more knowledge in general than me cuz you have double my post count and we joined the same time. Then he asks you and come to find out that you have no clue what to say to him since you really have no knowledge in that area

My point is there is always gonna be post whores which is really fine but when they do it in mostly off topic and random non-car related threads then it shouldn't count

And as ray said warning ms should be used more often like it was before. I got a warning for asking a question about the 8g ecu in a 7g ecu thread which is off topic but in a way similar and I accepted it cuz I screwed up but I have seen people do worse than that and get away with it which isn't fair

peanotation
02-03-2009, 12:23 PM
just because you're posting in the tech section or generation-specific section still doesn't mean you know what you're talking about. we have A LOT of bullshit flying around on here with "can't turbo stock motors" and "need bigger turbo" and what not. it really doesn't matter.....

RAZ_76
02-03-2009, 12:24 PM
Reason I don't think post count would work is because people are whores. In the end, having more posts, doesn't necessarily mean more experience, Rep would because someone that was helped would give it. You can't earn it yourself like you do with post count.

99 galant
02-03-2009, 12:25 PM
When I was new here I didn't go to someone because of post count. I found out what they new by other posts they made. If I was asked the question I was try to point them to someone that knew more about that topic IF I didn't know the answer.

greddy
02-03-2009, 12:26 PM

yeah, I remember when I first joined I pm'd a bunch of members asking numerous questions, and they were very helpful, now I have people asking me all sorts of questions and I have the knowledge to help them because others have helped me. But Pm's are different from dumb threads that get started all the time asking about coilovers or exhausts when there are at least a dozen threads about each of those already.

99 galant
02-03-2009, 12:28 PM
Okay so why don't we have Stickies of the threads that are OVER and OVER asked. Merge them together and sticky it. Problem Solved. If they post, Close it with the link to the sticky.

RAZ_76
02-03-2009, 12:30 PM
You have no idea how many people I have helped in PMs, specially when i had my build thread up. I took time out of my life and made a few how to's, made videos just for certain individuals as a how to, if they asked. I don't mind it. I mind idiots that give out stupid information instead of not posting or saying I DON'T KNOW.

Galant306m
02-03-2009, 12:34 PM
Okay so why don't we have Stickies of the threads that are OVER and OVER asked. Merge them together and sticky it. Problem Solved. If they post, Close it with the link to the sticky.

because we have a search button.

spdracr
02-03-2009, 12:39 PM

exactly

I think when noobs first joined they should have to read the rules all the way and answer something like 3 questions from the rules so they can get their account activated and join this will ensure that they really read the rules and not just pretended to read it

00galantguy
02-03-2009, 01:39 PM
Its as simple as... If you don't know then research first... educate yourself on a topic... then when you know... do you part and post what you know for others to educate themselves. If you wanna say some random shit save it for off topic. Thats what makes it hard to search is half the post are unrelated. Im all for having fun but it should be saved for off topic. When I read the specific sections I want to be reading about things I can do to my g, or things others have done/ are planning to do to theirs. Not other random stuff

bmaddock
02-03-2009, 01:49 PM
Yeah I'm sure in a few days or so I will end up pm'ing a few of you 5speed swap guys cause I think I'm converting.

And on the topic, I think the e-rep system works pretty well, like was stated before, it shows who is really contributing and not just saying unhelpful information.

Proto
02-03-2009, 02:11 PM
I've set the reputation system up. Far as post counts, they should only count in tech sections IMO. I'll update the thread later on.

Galant306m
02-03-2009, 02:14 PM
I've set the reputation system up. Far as post counts, they should only count in tech sections.

what about like project sections??

RAZ_76
02-03-2009, 03:17 PM
Only thing I'm worried about is that it will turn out like Cardomain where everyone invites their friends to vote for them. The reputation system can be abused just like that.

KaziKai
02-03-2009, 04:01 PM

lmao!

KaziKai
02-03-2009, 04:02 PM
Yeah I'm sure in a few days or so I will end up pm'ing a few of you 5speed swap guys cause I think I'm converting.

And on the topic, I think the e-rep system works pretty well, like was stated before, it shows who is really contributing and not just saying unhelpful information.

HAHA... me too need to convert to 5 speed!

glantv699
02-03-2009, 04:22 PM
See, here's the thing with TGC. There are plenty of people on here who talk, just for the sake of talking. It's okay to have discussions outside of cars, that's what off topic is for. But if you honestly need to make a post in EVERY thread, it's ridiculous. I don't actually look at posts counts until people start talking about them. I like the member tags (junior, elite, vet etc) but if you've been around here enough you know who is who. We've got those with projects, others intrested in meets, and some very knowledgeable gurus.

Everytime I come on TGC I have no intention of posting...I click it in my favorties, see there are new posts, and I look at the thread topics. If your thread topic intrestes me, I open it. If I think I can contribute to the thread I post. If the thread seems to be resolved or I have no knowledge of the topic, I back right out. If you are going into every thread looking to squeeze yourself in somewhere, you aren't contributing efficiently. For example, I stay away from posting in turbo threads (it's 100% okay to look and observe though!), but I can help with wheels, tires and exhaust. Things I know and can contribute have been posted, so unless I'm replying to a noob to help them get started, I have no reason to post. Try approaching TGC as a place to read...if you're posting several times a day, it might be excessive, if you are posting several times in your own thread, it's more than likely excessive, and if you are posting in every thread you see....well I wonder what you do with the rest of your life.

spdracr
02-03-2009, 04:24 PM
HAHA... me too need to convert to 5 speed!

good for you but this thread is not about 5spd swap

^^ this is a very fine example of what we have been talking about

Gbaby2089
02-03-2009, 05:46 PM
rep is cool but doesn't mean much, on a site i am a member of one day someone got massive rep (like a billion) and passed to one guy, so right now only 24 of the ten's of thousands of members have a lot of rep and all else bask in our glory (yea i'm number 5 :D )

BGR
02-03-2009, 06:00 PM

No, you got banned because you mouthed off to me in regards to what I can and can't do on TGC. You have no authority here on TGC. Your suggestions on how this place is ran, who should get banned and who should be moderators is moot and not even taken upon suggestion. I have no idea where you came from, but I do know where you're going to be going if you think that you're going to continue to throw your weight around here. You are fresh off of being banned, do you really want to continue mouthing off?

RAZ_76
02-03-2009, 06:27 PM
No, you got banned because you mouthed off to me in regards to what I can and can't do on TGC. You have no authority here on TGC. Your suggestions on how this place is ran, who should get banned and who should be moderators is moot and not even taken upon suggestion. I have no idea where you came from, but I do know where you're going to be going if you think that you're going to continue to throw your weight around here. You are fresh off of being banned, do you really want to continue mouthing off?

My suggestions is mouthing off??? I contribute to this forum but I don't have the right to suggest things?? Fuck you!! You sit here and try to belittle me by talking to me like Im your son or something because you own a forum but I'm throwing my weight around? If you feel like a big man to your TGC fans by banning me then do so but don't you sit here and talk to me like I'm a little 20 year old kid. If you have a problem with me then do what you have to do. You might be the man to these kids because you can push a button and shut me up but that's all you can do your a sad little piece shit inside and you know it.This forum is teh only thing that makes you feel like a man and more power to you. I think you are the biggest bitch of them all because everytime I say something to you, you ban me so you don't have to hear it, just like a lttle bitch. I tell you what, I'm not going to change for you or anyone else so why don't you erase all my details and make it permanent. If that makes you feel like a man then ban me like you fuckers do to everyone else that means anything around here. Fuck you! Make it permanent this time loser. Go mod that piece of shit centra of yours...fag. I'll get the door myself bitch. Go celebrate all you back stabbing fags that will come out and talk shit about me as soon as I get banned. This time I hope it will be permanent or you really are a little bitch. It's sad that this place has become this. All you guys that are cool, I'll miss yeah but you know where I'll be.

VegasMatt
02-03-2009, 06:33 PM
On TJ's site?

BGR
02-03-2009, 06:39 PM
My suggestions is mouthing off??? I contribute to this forum but I don't have the right to suggest things?? Fuck you!! You sit here and try to belittle me by talking to me like Im your son or something because you own a forum but I'm throwing my weight around? If you feel like a big man to your TGC fans by banning me then do so but don't you sit here and talk to me like I'm a little 20 year old kid. If you have a problem with me then do what you have to do. You might be the man to these kids because you can push a button and shut me up but that's all you can do your a sad little piece shit inside and you know it.This forum is teh only thing that makes you feel like a man and more power to you. I think you are the biggest bitch of them all because everytime I say something to you, you ban me so you don't have to hear it, just like a lttle bitch. I tell you what, I'm not going to change for you or anyone else so why don't you erase all my details and make it permanent. If that makes you feel like a man then ban me like you fuckers do to everyone else that means anything around here. Fuck you! Make it permanent this time loser. Go mod that piece of shit centra of yours...fag. I'll get the door myself bitch. Go celebrate all you back stabbing fags that will come out and talk shit about me as soon as I get banned. This time I hope it will be permanent or you really are a little bitch. It's sad that this place has become this. All you guys that are cool, I'll miss yeah but you know where I'll be.

I'll leave this up as something NOT to do. This is the reason why this jerk gets banned. He doesn't know how and when to shut his big mouth.

spardavr4
02-03-2009, 06:41 PM
I can't believe RAZ got permaband... wow.

BGR
02-03-2009, 06:46 PM
I can't believe RAZ got permaband... wow.

You can't believe? I just banned him in December for mouthing off and this time he's going to be 10x worse? All he had to do is just keep his cool (if he had any) and all would be cool.

spardavr4
02-03-2009, 06:47 PM
I'm not going to say anything because if I do I will get banned. But I agree with RAZ, this site is going to shit if people are getting banned because of feuds between a mod and a regular person. All I want to say is people need to grow up.

BGR
02-03-2009, 06:51 PM
I'm not going to say anything because if I do I will get banned. But I agree with RAZ, this site is going to shit if people are getting banned because of feuds between a mod and a regular person. All I want to say is people need to grow up.

If you feel that this place it going to shit, then there's the door. Don't (or do) let it hit you in the butt on your way out. Ain't nothing keeping you guys here. TGC has been around for almost 10 years. You, RAZ and everyone else that thinks this place is "going to shit" have only been around here less than 2 year! Believe me, you guys will be gone, and others will stop by and replace you.

As a matter of fact, all of you that don't like it here, please start your own forum, club, site, or whatever. Just take your negative shit away from here.

spardavr4
02-03-2009, 06:52 PM
That's fine with me. It's a website. Not real life. This is a hobby, it's not going to affect me the day I leave.

But, again I'm not going to say anything because I will get banned...

BGR
02-03-2009, 06:57 PM
Then stop replying. IF you really need to get it off your chest, PM ME!

And don't get it twisted. People aren't getting banned for feuds betweens mods and a regular person. RAZ is the only person I've banned in probably 6 years or longer! When you're in charge of your own site, I'm quite sure you're going to be a loving host and turn the other cheek when an asshole like RAZ spits in your face. Karmas a sonofbitch and I hope RAZ gets what's coming to him.

qnz
02-03-2009, 07:15 PM
whats wrong with noobs asking dumb questions. we've all asked dumb questions. you allergic to helping people?

I hope we dont have that rep system here. its going become like club3g where once a noob asks a dumb question, forum bullies scream "noob" and give them negative rep. thats gonna scare any new members away.

then theres things like if a noob says another member is wrong, then the forum bullies all give the new guy neg rep with comments like "dont ever talk back to qnz", or some other homo shit.

that is what club3g is like today

9G
02-03-2009, 07:38 PM
oh oh spaghettio

99 galant
02-03-2009, 07:41 PM

okay but it would make the search button easier. I have searched with no results because I worded it differently then the person who posted. I asked for help in a PM and got a reply within 5 min. then I do a :smt075:smt021 to my self because of wording it differently.

guynlidia2006
02-03-2009, 07:48 PM
whats wrong with noobs asking dumb questions. we've all asked dumb questions. you allergic to helping people?

I hope we dont have that rep system here. its going become like club3g where once a noob asks a dumb question, forum bullies scream "noob" and give them negative rep. thats gonna scare any new members away.

then theres things like if a noob says another member is wrong, then the forum bullies all give the new guy neg rep with comments like "dont ever talk back to qnz", or some other homo shit.

x2

Ruslik
02-03-2009, 07:51 PM
that would be a good idea
as long as there no like noobs whore posting to get up the ranks

spdracr
02-03-2009, 07:51 PM
x2

e-rep is a bad idea so im not voting for it

Proto
02-03-2009, 08:15 PM
removed it.

SkylineG1
02-03-2009, 08:24 PM
I love this forum.

Are you guys serious? This forum was developed for the love of one car. The goal of it was to unite G's from all over the WORLD. If there is a noob he will ask questions. Hell I'm still a noob here. There are still things that I learn now & then from contributions to the forums.

I recently just bought a new car & I am a noob on that site now because I don't know the ins & outs of the car yet. I used the search & found a lot but as you all know most times the "search" function can be somewhat difficult to use.

Although free speech is a right, it is not one on this forum. You guys have no idea what it cost to run a site like this. I'm not saying that anyone should take crap from anyone else but RESPECT not just to mods or admins need to be shown.

6G72Galant
02-03-2009, 08:32 PM
Like 99Galant said, rep doesnt really mean too much nowadays. Shit there have been a couple of guys that ive seen on TGC and GF that had solid rep and still screwed people over.

Post whoring is a non issue. It doesnt take a rocket scientist to realize something is weird that the guy who joined yesterday has 300+ posts :smt075

And about "searching", sheeiiiit it aint always the best method in getting direct answers. Especially when you type in a phrase and 5+ pages of threads come up. Sometimes its easier to PM someone or make a new thread in search of a specific answer. For example, im still trying to find out if coilovers are more stiff than a good spring and shock/strut combo. Ive gotten a couple of somewhat indirect answers. But id love a suspension thread that had....

Name of suspension
Price
Ride quality before
Ride quality after (hard? or soft?)
Pics

Unfortunately not everyone is a DIY individual. Most senior members know who to go to when they have questions or want advice. Newbs dont.

But it aint no skin off my ass as to whatever happens. TGC is my second home.:p

polishmafia
02-03-2009, 08:49 PM
I think TGC is a fairly nice spot for newbies. As to not ostracize them, for all other members there are only three very simple rules to follow.

1 - If a noob posts a question thats been asked before, don't just reply "SEARCH!". Have some respect for a fellow Galant owner. I've seen long time members do this and people who have been here a few months. If searching is that easy, use the search for them, and post a link to the thread. Explain to them that searching is easy and effective to find their answers.

2 - If you click on a thread and that urge to post "SEARCH!" goes through your mind... hit the back button! No one is forcing you to post. Move on. Its not difficult.

3 - Lastly... treat new members how you would like to be treated if you were a new member. We were all new members on one forum at one time or another. You want to become a member of the community, but it takes time and its not easy.

Its amazingly simple, isn't it?

We're all here for the same reason, right?

As for rep, whether its a system installed with the forum software or word of mouth.

YOU NEED TO PROVE YOUR OWN WORTH.

I'm not trying to stroke my own ego, but I'm sure most frequent users here know who I am. Love me or hate me, if I post in a tech thread you damn well know that I'm posting for a reason - because I have information that I am willing to share.

You are not your postcount. You are not how long you've been here. Respect others if you want respect.

99 galant
02-03-2009, 08:57 PM
well said pete

RedGalant2k1
02-03-2009, 09:02 PM
Post counts are fine the way they are, no need to make it not count in certain forums, and count in other ones. People can plainly see who is helpful and who isn't, who contributes and who doesn't. Who has an attitude and who doesn't. Who can keep their sanity and who understands that at the end of the day this forum is someone's property and that someone can run it however they see fit.

I wish those of you that haven't been around since 2001/2002 would have see the things we had to go through and the questions EVERYONE had and that we had no answers to those questions other than 'try it and let us know'. Hell back then no one even knew that a lot of 3G stuff fit, or that the only intake mod was BGR's fliptop airbox mod.

Noobs will come and go, people like Ray, and TJ will come and go (and have before). Nothing is new with anything that goes on here, why act like it is? I don't have a problem with Ray, he is a good person at heart I'd like to believe, but you don't shit in someone else's house and expect them to respect you.

At the end of the day you all should see that this isn't put on for free, this isn't a place that you can be allowed to get your jollies off complaining or bashing newbies or other members. You all want this to be a less hostile environment and want the admins and moderators to be responsible for producing the change but the problems (and the positives) are created via the membership as a whole.

If a newb posts a question what use is it to scream 'use the search function'? Not everyone is that computer saavy, nor does everyone care to take the ten seconds to find the post, and actually READ the content of the message involved. Why do you all think that myself, and the other OGs rarely IF EVER post any topics concerning how to do this, how to do that? Or anything else?

We know who to go to without having to post those questions. So if a newb asks that has never owned a Galant, and NEVER been on our forum before and literally has no clue where to start what do you expect them to do? Search? Seriously, do you all know what is made or what modifications you can do to a E55 AMG mercedes? Or your Galants for that matter?

I mean damn, at the least have respect for the person(s) who founded this community and created the ability for you to have and do the things to this platform that you can do. ALL of you have to give credit to BGR who founded this community so long ago when the 8G came out. All of you owe your pride to this car, and the ability to not have to fit the cookie cutter status quo of other modified cars out there.

Hell, I'm one rather vocal person that has crossed paths and words with many here over the years, but I know when to hold my tongue, and what threads and forums to keep petty issues into. Its a common sense reality check for some that want to be internet tough. In any case, in a long roundabout way, post count is fine the way it is.

RedGalant2k1
02-03-2009, 09:08 PM
And I really don't know what the beef is with people who post alot (99Galant). A lot of people slammed him for his early CF work (without knowing what is involved). And you don't see the quality of the CF parts he has now.

A high post count may mean they've posted some non-useful stuff, but that also means THEY'VE READ A LOT MORE than most other people too, and likely over time will know a lot more than most also.

Shadow19
02-03-2009, 09:40 PM
I think TGC is a fairly nice spot for newbies. As to not ostracize them, for all other members there are only three very simple rules to follow.

1 - If a noob posts a question thats been asked before, don't just reply "SEARCH!". Have some respect for a fellow Galant owner. I've seen long time members do this and people who have been here a few months. If searching is that easy, use the search for them, and post a link to the thread. Explain to them that searching is easy and effective to find their answers.

2 - If you click on a thread and that urge to post "SEARCH!" goes through your mind... hit the back button! No one is forcing you to post. Move on. Its not difficult.

3 - Lastly... treat new members how you would like to be treated if you were a new member. We were all new members on one forum at one time or another. You want to become a member of the community, but it takes time and its not easy.

Its amazingly simple, isn't it?

We're all here for the same reason, right?

You are not your postcount. You are not how long you've been here. Respect others if you want respect.

I agree with this 100000%. I RARELY every flame a newb. I think its stupid. We were all newbs at this site one point and time. If we got the same treatment when we were newbs that ppl have been giving lately then we wouldnt be here. The only reason the community has "gone to shit" is because of ppl jumping on their high fucking horse flaming newbs and blah blah blah. Its lame. If people didnt need the help then they wouldnt ask. Some may be lazy. Some may find the search function hard to use.

99 galant
02-03-2009, 09:45 PM
Dave, your first post was VERY well said.
Thanks for the second post, its funny how many people havnt been back to see the new work, oh well :smt102

Shadow, I'm one of those that think of it one way when searching, but come up with no results. People use different ways of saying the same thing and it can get frusterating and easier to just make a new post. Hence my "sticky" suggestion. Don't sticky everything, but combine the answers into one.

seth98esT
02-03-2009, 10:02 PM
Guys, everyone is a n00b at one point. Do a search for my name under advanced, hit the last page, read the last few pages of threads I made .... I am not ashamed to say that I once was an uber n00b!

People need to stop taking things so seriously, its an online forum.

IceDouTGaLanT
02-03-2009, 10:04 PM
we should just have a New User section, which they can ask questions and people can help them answer? i really dont care, i help out whenever i see something i know about and i see the person made some effort and not talking out their butt.

99 galant
02-03-2009, 10:06 PM
Not a bad idea iced, I also try to help and if I cant i try to point them to someone who will answer a pm.

spdracr
02-03-2009, 10:16 PM
And I really don't know what the beef is with people who post alot (99Galant). A lot of people slammed him for his early CF work (without knowing what is involved). And you don't see the quality of the CF parts he has now.

A high post count may mean they've posted some non-useful stuff, but that also means THEY'VE READ A LOT MORE than most other people too, and likely over time will know a lot more than most also.

wait a second, so you are saying that the person that logs in and reads and doesn't post doesn't have as much knowledge as the person who posted a lot ?? There are slot of people who just like to read and not post and I'm sure they read as much as people who posts some useless stuff if not more

99 galant
02-03-2009, 10:18 PM
But usually lurkers never end up posting to help. But I see what both you and Dave are suggesting.

732Galant
02-03-2009, 10:20 PM
I am totally against the whole "noob bashing" thing. As stated before the search button isn't a be all end all solution to peoples questions. Sometimes you have to reword your search 3,4, 5 times before it comes up. I got flamed pretty hard by RAZ so Im loving that he got banned, but I could really care less in the grand scheme of things. This website is for Galant owners who want to spread their knowledge, ideas, etc in regards to GALANTS. Thats it. If I had my old car I wouldn't be here. When it all comes down to it, this e-thuggery that goes on online is pathetic.

Stewi
02-03-2009, 10:39 PM

x3

I effing hate club3g 99% of the time im on there. Dont get me wrong, you have a small group of good guys who know alot and help out, then you have the dipshits. Perfect example, I had some relevant questions today and I couldnt get a post in before the big bad pumpkin had something wonderful to say. we dont need shit like that here, people who just flame and start trouble need to be out. I never had any problems with Raz, but its obvious alot of others did, so what happened, happened.

mapid145
02-03-2009, 11:00 PM
Honeslty.. i dont care if i say this or not.. but lately this hasnt been a car forum but rather just a talk forum. I love this site, the car club and TGCNJ/NY/SI.. people really need to realize that arguments happen all the time and if people cant be mature about it then wtf.

Ray had his own thing while BGR had his own.. if i was admin it be different.. but thats not the case nor do i want the responsibility... shit happens.. ppl bashed tj but when he finally did wat he wanted to do.. ppl still bashed him.. honeslty if you care for the car itself, youll enjoy all the achievements ppl do

with the new users section..if i joined the forum with a question.. i wouldnt go to new users section because people tend to flame noobs for the stupidest reasons ( not just our forum but a lot of them)

i guess you really cant do much but just help,advise, and guide

dwjp90
02-03-2009, 11:58 PM
i think we should make a section thats called basic info.
this should be a thread they have to read, first (ie they cant post for there first 24 hrs [cept with a special permission]) this should curve 80% of the newb threads, and instead of saying search, we could say check the basic thread [link]

what are the most commonly asked ?s, how can i get my g to have X hp?,
i can't find an intake on ebay all i see is stuff for a 2000-2005(or other "swappable gen clipse") eclipse help?
i bought an ebay turbo kit how do i install this?
how do i do a five speed swap?
i want (jdm part) how do install it or get it?
i want a carbon fiber hood/trunk for Xgen where can i get it, what are some styles?
hey my 8g is making a ticking sound is this normal?
Where can i get hids, what bulbs do we use,
where do i get this grill?
do these wheels fit(common size)?
how much would a i4 to v6 (or v8) conversion cost?
how do i turbo my XG?
how do i beat a (v6 subura, v8 mustanf ect ect) in a street race with my stock g?
(and suspension ?s not a topic i can remember from easily)
and more if a mod/member could have access to it while it would be read only to the rest (or you could post but the "mod" of that thread could delete unneccisary posts.

lonestar22
02-04-2009, 05:55 PM
we need something like this. this is kind of a spoof but it has truth to it as well and it was well written. most newbs end up reading it when they first get on some of the Audi forums. i thought it was pretty funny

http://forums.audiworld.com/s4/msgs/2008685.phtml

i just realized im a 'veteran' member... sweet

Legendary Galant
02-04-2009, 08:09 PM
i think we should make a section thats called basic info.
this should be a thread they have to read, first (ie they cant post for there first 24 hrs [cept with a special permission]) this should curve 80% of the newb threads, and instead of saying search, we could say check the basic thread [link]

what are the most commonly asked ?s, how can i get my g to have X hp?,
i can't find an intake on ebay all i see is stuff for a 2000-2005(or other "swappable gen clipse") eclipse help?
i bought an ebay turbo kit how do i install this?
how do i do a five speed swap?
i want (jdm part) how do install it or get it?
i want a carbon fiber hood/trunk for Xgen where can i get it, what are some styles?
hey my 8g is making a ticking sound is this normal?
Where can i get hids, what bulbs do we use,
where do i get this grill?
do these wheels fit(common size)?
how much would a i4 to v6 (or v8) conversion cost?
how do i turbo my XG?
how do i beat a (v6 subura, v8 mustanf ect ect) in a street race with my stock g?
(and suspension ?s not a topic i can remember from easily)
and more if a mod/member could have access to it while it would be read only to the rest (or you could post but the "mod" of that thread could delete unneccisary posts.

^X2^

i think that we should have something that tells which members to ask for help with a certain things on a 6,7,8,9etc. G and what other members can offer to help with. Also as far a bashing noobs that its the thing to do becuz u was a noob as well wen u 1st joined nd if it happened to u then u didnt like it so do to others as u would want done to u. Some members on here can act really harsh or not care bout there fellow G members and that isn't right but we do need a system which can help noobs/members to go and get valid information that can help solve or better our questions instead of sayin SEARCH that can really put some members down not all know what to look under to find what it is that there searching for. There should be something that give us good search tabs so we dont have to make stupid posts and get bashed!!!

Boosted
02-04-2009, 09:37 PM
I really don't care about post count or status. I would love to be a moderator, but I want to gain alot more knowledge before I would even consider that status. There are post whores like 9G (has two to three word posts in threads), but no matter what "popular" forum you go to there will be these type of members. Rank doesn't really affect me either because I am not going to make 50 posts a day just to see a different user title under my member name.

RedGalant2k1
02-04-2009, 10:03 PM
I really don't care about post count or status. I would love to be a moderator, but I want to gain alot more knowledge before I would even consider that status. There are post whores like 9G (has two to three word posts in threads), but no matter what "popular" forum you go to there will be these type of members. Rank doesn't really affect me either because I am not going to make 50 posts a day just to see a different user title under my member name.

9G is quite knowledgeable about this platform too though.

lonestar22
02-04-2009, 11:07 PM
i think 9g and me both do a little too much one word posting

9G
02-05-2009, 07:33 AM
really

99 galant
02-05-2009, 08:37 AM
Who cares? Both of you are helpful when the time comes. Screw this post count crap. Let it all count. My CT buddy over at Charger forums has 22k posts with 40posts per day, yeah most are welcome's and what not, but he goes from thread to thread and helps too.

G-spot
02-05-2009, 09:31 AM
Post count doesn't increase the size of a man's penis (or a woman's boobs). Some people take that term literally and use it as an advantage over new folks just coming in.

9G
02-05-2009, 11:54 AM
ow yeah? mine is 9" already. its close to being 10"

SleekGTZ
02-05-2009, 11:59 AM
I'm just writing this to increase my post count by 1!

VegasMatt
02-05-2009, 12:01 PM
I say we delete the post count all together.

9G
02-05-2009, 12:28 PM
nooo!

skrap
02-05-2009, 12:31 PM
I dont see a probelm with the post count. I have been a member for about a year now. Honestly i dont even pay attention to the post count. The only time i payed attention was with the garage. So idk Im still a newbie here but i am beyond supportive. I love this place. Im in the mits of getting a sticker for my car. The funny thing is, when i got my car i said i would never put any stickers on it. Do you guys think i post about stupid shit?

VegasMatt
02-05-2009, 12:51 PM
People whore it up to get their posts counts up. A lot of bullshit posts going on here and I am tired of cleaning up the trash. I mean I just deleted some shit in the for sale thread where someone asked when are you coming over...seriously.

Proto
02-05-2009, 02:32 PM
So I remember setting ALL misc forums to no post count but it wasn't set properly so now it is and I rebuilt the posts counts so now your true post counts truly show. Enjoy!

9G
02-05-2009, 02:41 PM
nooooo! omg. i feel violated. my 9" went to 1.6" :p

seth98esT
02-05-2009, 02:43 PM
lol Im still number two with 5.7". Allen is still at 11" ... freak lol

9G
02-05-2009, 02:49 PM
lol you were so close too. that just shows that seth is a post whore too. haha

Legendary Galant
02-05-2009, 03:22 PM
i think that the reduce in post was a good thing then it can show who was a post whore and who gave out helpful info.

Jeffylou87
02-05-2009, 04:04 PM
hmm, I guess I am pretty helpful sometimes.. I only went down 200 posts..

IceDouTGaLanT
02-05-2009, 04:11 PM
yeah i like this new method, ba humbug i lost 3K in post

lol at 9g hahahah sorry bro =)

9G
02-05-2009, 04:12 PM
my ratio is 1:9

Jeffylou87
02-05-2009, 04:13 PM
Your average words per post is 1.3.. LOL!

G-spot
02-05-2009, 06:06 PM
This is much better.

RedGalant2k1
02-05-2009, 07:35 PM
Interesting.

99 galant
02-05-2009, 08:04 PM
i think that the reduce in post was a good thing then it can show who was a post whore and who gave out helpful info.

that means I was atleast half helpful.

platano
02-05-2009, 08:13 PM
I say we delete the post count all together.

x2

Serstylz2
02-05-2009, 10:42 PM
how come i lost 8000 posts??

SkylineG1
02-05-2009, 10:56 PM

6000k here but who the hell cares. I love this forum.

99 galant
02-05-2009, 11:14 PM

they took down all post count for all other threads besides what counts now.

spdracr
02-05-2009, 11:25 PM
they took down all post count for all other threads besides what counts now.

Thank you captain obvious

99 galant
02-05-2009, 11:48 PM

They asked.

Don't be an ass I was "answering a question and helping" you know, something I never do.

ricky_db
02-06-2009, 02:31 AM
awww man im a noob agin lol

Galant306m
02-06-2009, 03:01 AM
lol i didnt have many posts so i didnt loose that many.

kolio
02-06-2009, 03:06 AM
i lost like 1700

Galant306m
02-06-2009, 03:08 AM
Meh its not bad. kolio shows you're really helpful with the 7g stuff, i lost 1200 haha. kinda a lot though.

kildaremike
02-06-2009, 05:04 AM
I dont know why people are getting hung up on post counts. I joined because any mitsi clubs over here are just for mivecs/ evos and are useless for info on the G. Because I had difficulty with the search function I posted some noob questions, and got some proper answers, for which I was very grateful. The only way people are going to gain knowledge and experience is by asking someone with MORE knowledge and experience. Flaming someone because they ask what appears to a silly question is just going to turn a newb, who in time may have turned into a great member, into an ex member. I cannot remember who said this but I heard it years ago and it stuck.
"There are no stupid questions, only stupid answers." Just my two cents worth but if we get to the stage where people are afraid to ask questions then what use is the site?

kolio
02-06-2009, 08:11 AM
nobody really cares about the post count. i don't. it's just funny to see people loose like 10k posts

9G
02-06-2009, 08:24 AM
i do i do!

Blazepr24
02-06-2009, 11:56 AM
nobody really cares about the post count. i don't. it's just funny to see people loose like 10k posts

Oh this explains why I am back to newbie status.... I was wondering what happened.....:confused:

peanotation
02-06-2009, 11:59 AM
this thread can suck it. my 10K+ posts are gone. spdracr you are the OP so i hold you personally responsible for my sadness. suck it.

IceDouTGaLanT
02-06-2009, 12:16 PM
I wish we took a forum vote like we do for COTM.

spdracr
02-06-2009, 02:14 PM
this thread can suck it. my 10K+ posts are gone. spdracr you are the OP so i hold you personally responsible for my sadness. suck it.

I just recieved a call cuz of this post so here I am replying to you

No I'm not responsible for this cuz if you have kept up with the forum update you wouldve known that post count has been disabled in the misc section only but it was never properly set until yesterday. My suggestion was about disabling the post count in more sections of the forum but that hasn't been done yet and I don't think it will so YOU CAN SHOVE IT

Galant306m
02-06-2009, 02:36 PM
Wait y does post count matter? Shit i was at 1800 and now im at 600, so what. How about this for a post count change Proto remove it all together then no one will worry about getting to the next 1000 or whatever they are close to. Change it to strait rankings.

shortchain
02-06-2009, 02:54 PM
I think this is funny as hell you guys love this site so much, but 80% of you people don't even send Matt a dollar to help this site. I have saved so much money and learned so much about my car because of this forum. So I say who cares about a post count. We are here to learn and share not get a big head over post counts. So that's my two cents!!

spdracr
02-06-2009, 03:07 PM
Wait y does post count matter? Shit i was at 1800 and now im at 600, so what. How about this for a post count change Proto remove it all together then no one will worry about getting to the next 1000 or whatever they are close to. Change it to strait rankings.

yes delete post count and make a ranking system using the lengths of time a member has been on the forum (newbie, junior, elite...etc)

And make a system to count meets attended and whoever makes the meet will be in charge of reporting attendance

6G72Galant
02-06-2009, 03:09 PM
Post count is no pre-cursor for knowledge. I dont care if you have 5k posts, if i ask whats the difference between 5w-40 and 15w-30 oil in the winter and youre response is "no difference at all!" i wont be listening to a word of your advice there after.

Most people here arent strapping blow driers on their airbox and proclaiming "ay yo son im puttin down 20lbs of boost!". So i think its a pretty safe assumption to say that not everyone is judging the accuracy of your knowledge by your post count. And for those who are, well then youre a gullible fool.

Galant306m
02-06-2009, 03:16 PM
yes delete post count and make a ranking system using the lengths of time a member has been on the forum (newbie, junior, elite...etc)

And make a system to count meets attended and whoever makes the meet will be in charge of reporting attendance

You forgot OG. But seriously if post counts are that big of a problem and some people want them to count every where and some only want it to count in some places. I say just eliminate the problem.

But then yes people will complain about not having a count but until everyone else stops caring one where they should count and where they shouldnt just get rid of them all together.

Flutterbyfilms
02-06-2009, 11:27 PM
I'm a newb again. Not the post count that bugs me, just the label under my name. Eww.

99 galant
02-07-2009, 07:30 AM

You know whats funny, there is now a thread to "what happened to my posts" and yet you call me captain obvious...

So because I'm a post whore that NEVER helps, I knew this and they didn't...

Post count doesn't matter. This is the only site that "disabled" them because of some people who complain A LOT. I'm not bashing the Admin for doing it, but I would have too with all the damn complaining for it to stop.

spardavr4
02-07-2009, 07:36 AM
If some of you want to delete the post count, you should just make it invisible to all members minus the mods/ or admins. Maybe that could help out a bit? That way the minimum post count would still be used for the FS threads but no one knows how many posts you have.

spdracr
02-07-2009, 10:24 AM
If some of you want to delete the post count, you should just make it invisible to all members minus the mods/ or admins. Maybe that could help out a bit? That way the minimum post count would still be used for the FS threads but no one knows how many posts you have.

I meant to actually suggest that after my last post but I didn't get to it and you beat me to it and I think it would be a great idea. So admins can keep track of things in the backend

KaziKai
02-07-2009, 10:29 AM
Oh.. make it easier... I dont care about my post counts.. they are just numbers to me.. all it matters is that we are on here. Lets just ignore the counts... as I have noticed I was at 400 and down to 107 for some reason.. but I dont care!

Enjoy this site! Ignore the counts!

spdracr
02-07-2009, 10:42 AM
You know whats funny, there is now a thread to "what happened to my posts" and yet you call me captain obvious...

So because I'm a post whore that NEVER helps, I knew this and they didn't...

Post count doesn't matter. This is the only site that "disabled" them because of some people who complain A LOT. I'm not bashing the Admin for doing it, but I would have too with all the damn complaining for it to stop.

you already quoted the same comment on the last page and you just did it again, are you that upset about what I said ?? I'll give you a tissue if you wanna cry. I really don't care about what you have to say and I honestly most of the time don't read your comments whenever I see them.

I think we had enough with this topic cuz for the next 62848273 pages the only thing that people are gonna do is whine

So admins please lock this thread

Thanks

Legendary Galant
02-07-2009, 10:52 AM
you already quoted the same comment on the last page and you just did it again, are you that upset about what I said ?? I'll give you a tissue if you wanna cry. I really don't care about what you have to say and I honestly most of the time don't read your comments whenever I see them.

I think we had enough with this topic cuz for the next 62848273 pages the only thing that people are gonna do is whine

Thanks

X2

KaziKai
02-07-2009, 11:41 AM

Thanks

X3

spardavr4
02-07-2009, 01:15 PM
x4

But implement my idea!! It owns all the other ideas :-P

IceDouTGaLanT
02-07-2009, 03:20 PM
just erase them, no point of some people feeling angry and others happy. Hide them all..

RedGalant2k1
02-07-2009, 04:53 PM
Who cares to even belabor the point?

6G72Galant
02-07-2009, 05:29 PM
I still dont understand what the whole fuss over post counts was to begin with. Was it really that serious:confused:

Boosted
02-07-2009, 05:33 PM
No, it wasn't. People say that they don't care about the title underneath their username and the number of posts that they have but now that the numbers have dropped, they feel like they have lost something.

RedGalant2k1
02-07-2009, 05:44 PM
No, it wasn't. People say that they don't care about the title underneath their username and the number of posts that they have but now that the numbers have dropped, they feel like they have lost something.

That just means they've never gone through a format change or a board upgrade. If TGC had all its information since day one I'd have easily double my current post count (as all the OGs would too).

Boosted
02-07-2009, 05:49 PM
Been through plenty of them myself. I used to participate and donate to alot of paintball forums until I got out of the sport in 2006. Now, it's just automotive forums for me. I have a really big urge to get back into paintball though.

99 galant
02-07-2009, 08:05 PM

Thanks

:lol:
Your "whining" got it this far.

spdracr
02-07-2009, 09:51 PM
:lol:
Your "whining" got it this far.

if you cant tell the difference between suggesting something and whining about something then you have a serious issue

but yet you keep whining cuz you lost more than half of your post and you dont feel all high and mighty like most of the others who feel hurt and sad at the moment, cuz now you are on the same level as many of the members who joined the same time as you and dont have thousands of posts like you did

if you cant let go of it and move on like few of us who already said that they dont care that they lost whatever amount of post that they did, then you are more than welcome to join TJ's forum and post over there :D

RedGalant2k1
02-08-2009, 12:33 AM
I'd say this has gone far enough.