PDA

View Full Version : Want to go Skiing Any recommendations? PA Area

IceDouTGaLanT
02-08-2009, 02:04 PM
Hey guys, me and some close friends want to hit the slopes at the end of the month. Anybody know any good places in PA? I just know about the poconos we are also looking for a weekend home any good places around the slopes you guys recommend i check out? i'd greatly appreciate any help, also looking to spend about 800 max for the 2 days for the house. have 6-8 people

fatal1
02-08-2009, 03:04 PM
i havent been for a while but i have gone to a few places in the pocconos which were all good.. on the other side, jersey has a lot of places but they are more of a one day thing, there are hotels near them though...pocconos is prob a better bet

Bezzle
02-08-2009, 03:12 PM
Bear Creek Mountain.

Stewi
02-08-2009, 03:40 PM
In the poconos there is a place that rents cabins out for the weekend. Its fairly cheap too, a cabin to sleep 8 people usually runs around $400-500 for the weekend. I will get the name of the place tomorrow, my family goes every year with my little cousins and stuff to go snowtubing during winter break. Ron send me a PM to remind me about it tomorrow and I will get you the info.

BTW they arent like primitive log cabins, yes they are wooden cabins but they have up to date technology.

IceDouTGaLanT
02-08-2009, 03:43 PM
okay great thanks stewi..ill send you a pm, i still didn't forget about that rear lip fitment just been too cold outside for me to try it, but ill do it today since its 64 =)

BODOGG
02-08-2009, 04:22 PM
Blue mountain, http://www.skibluemt.com/ I try to go there a couple times a year only day trips never stayed overnite. It's a good mountain to go skiing on. Check out the website for prices. Have fun where ever you go !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reelax
02-08-2009, 06:18 PM
people still ski? i quit skiing 15 years ago... snowboarding is way more fun!

IceDouTGaLanT
02-08-2009, 06:22 PM
haha yeah we manly wanna go tubeing but few of us said we'd tried boarding. I'm sure well have fun take some case's of beer few bottles of liq. I wanna go paintballing though

shovelman
02-08-2009, 06:24 PM
Bear creek blows....ski either Blue Mt., Elk Mt. (2 hours west of NJ), or Jack Frost/Big Boulder

Stewi
02-08-2009, 06:24 PM
people still ski? i quit skiing 15 years ago... snowboarding is way more fun!

LOL

I can ski well, I can ski-board well, but im learning to snowboard.

I love the ski boards because it feels just like rollerblading/ice skating to me, and being that I played hockey from when I was 10 thru the college level its like second nature to me. The only thing I fear on the skiboards is that the bindings dont release, I go off jumps and into the pipe with them, and I have never fallen in such a way to cause injury because i know how to fall. I cant say the same for my wife, she shattered her left tibia and broke her left fibula over the new years weekend on skiboards. After that, im pretty sure I will never use them again because that will always be in the back of my mind.

Reelax
02-08-2009, 06:42 PM
LOL

I can ski well, I can ski-board well, but im learning to snowboard.

I love the ski boards because it feels just like rollerblading/ice skating to me, and being that I played hockey from when I was 10 thru the college level its like second nature to me. The only thing I fear on the skiboards is that the bindings dont release, I go off jumps and into the pipe with them, and I have never fallen in such a way to cause injury because i know how to fall. I cant say the same for my wife, she shattered her left tibia and broke her left fibula over the new years weekend on skiboards. After that, im pretty sure I will never use them again because that will always be in the back of my mind.

ski boarding... like snowbaldes? those look dope, i'm gonna try those out next time... but i love boarding! just got back from a trip to NORTHSTAR (north lake tahoe) 2 weeks ago. my girl bought me a snow board and i had to put it to good use. only thing was the 11 hour drive on the way home kinda sucked ass... i don't envy u guys that have to drive in the snow all the time!

Stewi
02-08-2009, 07:32 PM
ski boarding... like snowbaldes? those look dope, i'm gonna try those out next time... but i love boarding! just got back from a trip to NORTHSTAR (north lake tahoe) 2 weeks ago. my girl bought me a snow board and i had to put it to good use. only thing was the 11 hour drive on the way home kinda sucked ass... i don't envy u guys that have to drive in the snow all the time!

yes like snow blades.

ski boards tho are shaped like freestyle snowboards with identical twin tips and the boot/binding is centered on the ski.

snoblades are more like very short shaped skis and the boot/binding is more
toward the rear

Reelax, BE CAREFUL if you try them. The bindings DO NOT RELEASE! So if you fall and get the snoblade stuck in the snow or ice (like my wife did) you will snap your leg like a twig. Your leg is very vulnerable just above the top of the boot, because thats the very first place your leg can twist.

Ron, if you try snowboard for the first time, wear wristguards, if not, be extremely careful to fall forward on your forearms and dont put your hands out. The first time I feel on a snowboard forward was a full speed total wipe out. When i got up, i said "Thank effing god I wore these wristguards" Even with them on my wrists hurt like hell from how hard I hit.

GOOSEY2099
02-08-2009, 11:36 PM
TGCNY/the rest Ski meet!!!

Reelax
02-08-2009, 11:43 PM
yes like snow blades.

ski boards tho are shaped like freestyle snowboards with identical twin tips and the boot/binding is centered on the ski.

snoblades are more like very short shaped skis and the boot/binding is more
toward the rear

Reelax, BE CAREFUL if you try them. The bindings DO NOT RELEASE! So if you fall and get the snoblade stuck in the snow or ice (like my wife did) you will snap your leg like a twig. Your leg is very vulnerable just above the top of the boot, because thats the very first place your leg can twist.

Ron, if you try snowboard for the first time, wear wristguards, if not, be extremely careful to fall forward on your forearms and dont put your hands out. The first time I feel on a snowboard forward was a full speed total wipe out. When i got up, i said "Thank effing god I wore these wristguards" Even with them on my wrists hurt like hell from how hard I hit.

i would also add to TAKE A LESSON. alot of people say that they will just "figure" it out w/ out a lesson; well those people usually get hurt and then give up. unless you are very experienced in board sports, u won't b able to just pick it up w/o help. i did, but that was before they gave lessons, and i was VERY experienced on a skateboard and was a skiier for 10 years allready (so i understood the mountain and snow, etc.). if you can pull off and control 4 wheel slides at will on a skateboard on cement (front side AND backside), then u MIGHT be able to just figure it out, cuz that's kinda what u are doing on a snowboard, but why risk pain and struggle when u can have an instructor guide u past the hardest parts? also don't wear jeans... u will be miserable as they will soak and u will be soggy and cold; get some snow pants a the least. dedicated snowboard pants would b best because they r reinforced in the butt and knees, the two parts that will be in the snow the most.

6G72gearhead
02-09-2009, 12:01 AM
Find two really lonely guys, lol.

mapid145
02-09-2009, 01:08 AM
TGCNY/the rest Ski meet!!!

lol DONE

send me the PM as well.. i think i wanna take a few people to that place as well. my girl loves snowboarding and i cant balance for my life on it. I tried it for 2 years and i got no where. Sking on the other hand is awesome but im more of a tubing person or rather a sledding. I do enjoy making igloos though lol

Queue
02-09-2009, 12:29 PM
I've been learning to snowboard (with my son) for the last few years. I skiied like mad through college, almost weekly. Last Friday, we went, and I yanked the skis out of the closet, dusted them off and hit it. What a blast. I was getting some funny looks because skis have changed a lot since I bought these in the 80s. They're 195cm long and really skinny.

I had a great time, just flying down the hills, but hope to get my snowboarding up to that level someday, so the skis are back in the closet for now.

+1 on the wristguard recommendation, I bought some nice Burton gloves with built in wrist support.

Have fun!

Stewi
02-09-2009, 05:58 PM
I've been learning to snowboard (with my son) for the last few years. I skiied like mad through college, almost weekly. Last Friday, we went, and I yanked the skis out of the closet, dusted them off and hit it. What a blast. I was getting some funny looks because skis have changed a lot since I bought these in the 80s. They're 195cm long and really skinny.

I had a great time, just flying down the hills, but hope to get my snowboarding up to that level someday, so the skis are back in the closet for now.

+1 on the wristguard recommendation, I bought some nice Burton gloves with built in wrist support.

Have fun!

LOL

yeah ski technology has come a long way. I rode a pair off freestyle ski's and its insane, you can ski backwards, do jumps, etc.

I also really like the new Salomon X-wing ski's, they rent them at CamelBack and they are a really really good all around ski.

Queue
02-09-2009, 08:22 PM
LOL

yeah ski technology has come a long way. I rode a pair off freestyle ski's and its insane, you can ski backwards, do jumps, etc.

I also really like the new Salomon X-wing ski's, they rent them at CamelBack and they are a really really good all around ski.

mebbe next time I get the urge to ski, I'll try out some demo skis. That could be fun...

IceDouTGaLanT
02-09-2009, 09:18 PM
we decide on the house below, but just looking for other options by tomorrow, since we have to put the deposit down asap.

http://www.vacationhomes.com/20844

also, i got few admission, to the slopes my yuengling sales guy is giving me 10 free pass's ($50) a pop which works out since we have 10 people now. So we decided to get a better house since we dont have to pay anymore

Stewi
02-09-2009, 10:45 PM
we decide on the house below, but just looking for other options by tomorrow, since we have to put the deposit down asap.

http://www.vacationhomes.com/20844

also, i got few admission, to the slopes my yuengling sales guy is giving me 10 free pass's ($50) a pop which works out since we have 10 people now. So we decided to get a better house since we dont have to pay anymore

Ron that house isnt that bad since your dividing it up by 10 people, plus its pretty dope if it has a pool table and stuff.

IceDouTGaLanT
02-10-2009, 12:00 AM
yeah $100 bucks a person for 3 nights, is a great deal. We'll prob rent a van and go up together in 1 car. pool table which with some creatively can be a beer pong table =)

Its Reu
02-17-2009, 12:53 PM
Bear Creek Mountain.

x4

IceDouTGaLanT
02-22-2009, 05:35 PM
What do you guys think i should wear?

Top:
Beater
Long Sleve Black Tee
Thermal
Another thicker Termal
Sweatshirt
Track Jacket
Big ass coat

Bottom:
Thermal
Sweats
Jeans
Those Squesky Paints (waterproof ones)

Ill wear 2 socks with my old timberlands

Think thats good? or what are ur supposed to wear 1st time on a mountain.

01galant01
02-22-2009, 07:08 PM

Top:
Beater
Long Sleve Black Tee
Thermal
Another thicker Termal
Sweatshirt
Track Jacket
Big ass coat

Bottom:
Thermal
Sweats
Jeans

http://www.costumzee.com/users/Lana417-2563-full.gif

You remind me of him.

IceDouTGaLanT
02-22-2009, 07:09 PM
lol...my little ass dont got body fat i need to bundle up!

Reelax
02-23-2009, 03:28 PM

Top:
Beater
Long Sleve Black Tee
Thermal
Another thicker Termal
Sweatshirt
Track Jacket
Big ass coat

Bottom:
Thermal
Sweats
Jeans

if you are snowboarding, you will want snowboarding pants and gloves since you will be spending alot of time sitting on your butt, hands and knees. snowboarding pants are waterproof and breathable as well as reinforced in the butt and knees. your gloves should be water proof and insulated. also if you are snowboarding you want to only wear 1 pair of cushy socks... but they should be wool or synthetic, NOT COTTON, 2 pairs will cause your foot to slip inside the snowboard boot (which are meant to be tight) and will promote blisters. also don't forget sunglasses (or goggles) and sunscreen... UV light is more intense on the mountain at higher elevations and will also be greatly increased by being reflected off the snow.

well... layering is good so you can strip off layers if you get too hot but the number one rule is NO COTTON. cotton is fine for the lodge or the cabin but on the hill you will get hot and sweaty (i know it seems crazy but you are exerting yourself). cotton ABSORBS moisture; this is NOT a good thing especially in the snow.. being cold, wet and miserable will ruin your day.

u want 3 layers:

1. base layer - long underpants and long undershirt made of synthetic or silk that transport moisture AWAY from the skin. do not wear the normal thermals made of cotton, they will be soggy after only a short while (imagine damp clothes under your outer layer!)

2. insulating layer - again bulky cotton sweatshirts and sweats are a no no. they will absorb everything like a sponge. look for a sweatsuit made of POLAR FLEECE or similar... NO COTTON!

3. outer layer - jacket and pants. these should be water repelling and windproof. do i have to say it again, NO COTTON? so no jeans. you can get away w/ a water repellent shell and pants here since the insulating layer will keep you warm.

i've been boarding since the early '90s and ski'd before that since the early '80s and here is what i wear now:

in COLD conditions:

THERMA SILK base layer
NIKE polar fleece half zip jacket
NIKE polar fleece pants
BURTON hooded snowboard jacket
BURTON cargo snowboard pants
BURTON snowboard gloves
BURTON tech socks
BURTON wool beanie
FLOW boa snowboard boots
OAKLEY goggles

in warm weather (spring conditions) i substitute the NIKE polar fleece layer w/:

NIKE basketball shorts
FOX RACING motorcross long sleeve jersey (thin)

djakay
02-23-2009, 04:20 PM
^ this should go to "How to Tutorials"

Queue
02-23-2009, 04:59 PM
If you're just learning, you should wear a helmet.

The first time you catch a heelside edge and SLAM onto your back, you'll either thank me for the advice, or curse yourself for not listening.

IceDouTGaLanT
02-23-2009, 05:02 PM
im only going tubbing, and maybe a trainer course in skiing like those little slopes nothing major. But thanks alot reelax for the clothes input, ill head over to the local spots and grab things you said.

Reelax
02-23-2009, 05:14 PM
im only going tubbing, and maybe a trainer course in skiing like those little slopes nothing major. But thanks alot reelax for the clothes input, ill head over to the local spots and grab things you said.

don't buy anything too expensive as this is your first time and you don't know if ur gonna do this often... just get what u feel comfortable w/. just remember no cotton. i only put a list of what i wear as an example... but i usually go on multi-day boarding trips 3+ times a year and have all my own gear including the 4WD SUV to get me up and back safe. trips are always more fun when u are prepared and have whatever u need in almost any situation... less stress = more fun.