PDA

View Full Version : How to Install Side Markers??

BlueLiteMo
02-03-2003, 12:07 PM
So i want to put side markers on my 01 but i have no clue how to wire it into my lights. Someone out there knows what they are doing and it you can tell me where to get some cool ones at that.
Thanks 8)

Fishboy55
02-03-2003, 12:37 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(BlueLiteMo)</div><div class='quotemain'>So i want to put side markers on my 01 but i have no clue how to wire it into my lights. Someone out there knows what they are doing and it you can tell me where to get some cool ones at that.
Thanks 8)</div>
Check out this post for starters and how to wire them through the fenders.
http://www.clubtgc.org/forum/viewtopic.php...ht=side+markers ('http://www.clubtgc.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6524&highlight=side+markers')

Chip

pinoyesv6
02-03-2003, 12:51 PM
nopi has a great selection of sidemarkers. as for where to tap for power. the headlights and ur turn signals are the most common places.

Fishboy55
02-03-2003, 12:59 PM
nopi has a great selection of sidemarkers. as for where to tap for power. the headlights and ur turn signals are the most common places.
Why in the world would you want to tap it to your headlights instead of your parking lights?? That means if you drive with just your parking lights on, then your side markers would be off. :roll:

Unless you get LED sidemarkers, like I have BlueLiteMo, you should take one wire from the sides and tap to your parking lite wire and the other one to your turn signal wire. This way, they will be on with your parking lights and blink with your turn signals. One note, they will blink opposite of your turn signals. So when the turn is off the sidemarker is on and vice versa. If you get LED sidemarkers, you can either have them on with your parking lights or blinking with your signals, but not both like with incandescants.

Chip

pinoyesv6
02-03-2003, 01:05 PM
Why in the world would you want to tap it to your headlights instead of your parking lights?? That means if you drive with just your parking lights on, then your side markers would be off. :roll:

beats me but some of my friends made me rewire theirs cuz thats what they want. o well. some people. i mean its jsut preference, the fog lights are another place to tap if u want more control over them (like if u had illegal bulbs in them)

Auto-9
02-03-2003, 05:29 PM
I prefer the side markers on all all times look myself, keeps me safe at night, but some people want the factory look a la BMW and VW where they only blink with the signals.

Messiah
02-25-2003, 09:06 PM
Actually you can have your side markers on with the parking lights and blink with the blinkers.

you'll need to get a few parts:

SPDT relay
SPST NO relay
SPST NC relay

and wire them this way

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid52/p9c15b89602952355400a89af2bbc0111/fc95588d.jpg

The markers will blink with the blinkers and come on with the parking lights. And when you blink them with the parking lights on, the markers will blink in opposite of the blinkers.

hope this made sense

Sowndwayv
02-25-2003, 10:54 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dragon300le)</div><div class='quotemain'>And when you blink them with the parking lights on, the markers will blink in opposite of the blinkers.

hope this made sense</div>

thot thats what we wanted to fix?

NJ G-sta
02-25-2003, 10:59 PM
As my experience, I found a way that can use the side marker as parking light , also as turn signal. What I did was from the side marker there are 2 wires (1 + and 1 -) . When u look at the turn signal bulb socket. There are 3 wires, and I am sure the one in the middle is Black. What ya have to do is tap the + wire from the side marker to one of those wire to the parking light , and tap the - wire from the side marker to one of those wire that is turn signal. DO NOT TOUCH BLACK WIRE!! and u are done. The purpose of that is when the parking light is on, the turn signal terminal is act as ground. When the parking is on and turn signal is on, it will blink backward as both terminal receive power. It came out really kewl and think u need dual filament bulb to do that?? Nah .... https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif

Messiah
02-26-2003, 12:26 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Sowndwayv)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dragon300le)</div><div class='quotemain'>And when you blink them with the parking lights on, the markers will blink in opposite of the blinkers.

hope this made sense</div>

thot thats what we wanted to fix?</div>

When trying to hook up a single filament bulb to a 2 filament buld. It's either hooked up with parking lights or the blinkers, not both...well this way, you can have both, and keep the 2 circuits completely independent of each other and NOT fry something. And personaly I think it's pretty cool the way the marker and the turn signal take turn coming on.

Sowndwayv
02-26-2003, 12:58 AM
so getting those relays arnt necessary? u think there are any benefits like longer life or something?

Messiah
02-26-2003, 01:04 AM
It just keeps the blinker circuit and the parking circuit independent.

mitsugalant2kNJ's way may work, but I don't want to run the chance of frying anything, because you're wiring 2 hot wire to the same place.

Fishboy55
02-26-2003, 06:13 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Fishboy55)</div><div class='quotemain'>Unless you get LED sidemarkers, like I have BlueLiteMo, you should take one wire from the sides and tap to your parking lite wire and the other one to your turn signal wire. This way, they will be on with your parking lights and blink with your turn signals. One note, they will blink opposite of your turn signals. So when the turn is off the sidemarker is on and vice versa. If you get LED sidemarkers, you can either have them on with your parking lights or blinking with your signals, but not both like with incandescants.</div>

Guys,

Read the post, this is exactly the same thing I said in my original answer. Yes the relays will keep the circuits independant, but you will get the exact same result by wiring like I said. The only thing you risk frying is the sidemarker bulb, because it will go first, long before the fuse or the blinker circuit. This still will NOT work if you have LED sides like mine because LED's have specific polarity.

Chip

NJ G-sta
02-26-2003, 10:04 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dragon300le)</div><div class='quotemain'>It just keeps the blinker circuit and the parking circuit independent. Â*
Â*
mitsugalant2kNJ's way may work, but I don't want to run the chance of frying anything, because you're wiring 2 hot wire to the same place.</div>
actually this wiring technique is found on a 95 nissan maxima which the bumper lens light blink backward when the parking light is on at night. I forgot what site i read about it, it also used on some GM vehicle too. I doubt that will fry the wiring , cuz for that the bulb itself is act as a fuse in between those 2 hot wires . and likely the bulb will be gone before the wire fried. I had that setup for almost 2 year. I have no problem with the side marker at all. And the PIAA Plasma Blue bulb looks good as hell , and they last pretty long too.

Messiah
02-27-2003, 04:53 PM
So then the the circuit diagram would be perfect for a LED side marker.

Fishboy55
02-28-2003, 08:12 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dragon300le)</div><div class='quotemain'>So then the the circuit diagram would be perfect for a LED side marker.</div>
Correct

electricjoe
03-01-2003, 10:12 AM
I also want side markers, and I know you guys said check NOPI but what specific marker do you guys use? I like the side markers on the new EVO 8, can I get these some where, like a dealer? Or should I just go after marker? I just don't want them to stick out too far, I dig the flush look but don't want to any major work on the panel.