PDA

View Full Version : Engine not start, need your help.

dpchai
02-03-2003, 04:41 PM
Hi everybody:

I have a 1991 Galant GSX AWD 2.0 engine w/o turbo. Recently the car is hard to start in the winter time, but it starts when it is warmer. I changed the battery last year (die-hard), so there should be no problem with the battery. I changed the fuel filter, air filter, PVC valve and do not know what I should do. Any suggestion will be greatly appreciated.

manybrews
02-03-2003, 05:19 PM
need a LOT more info.

does it crank hard? does it run poorly? does it stall? only cold, or sometimes hot?

eery bit of information you can give is needed.

ken inn
02-03-2003, 08:05 PM
plug wires on these cars are a problem, but i would check your ecu. take it out and smell it, if it smells like rotten fish, your capacitors are toast. do you hear rapid clicking in the dash? if so, your multipoint fuel injector relay is being turned on and off because of the bad capacitors. so many of these cars have bad caps, i would just take out the ecu and get them changed, you will eventually have to do it anyway. if the capacitors are starting to go, they will make the power fluctuate, you will get inconsistent performance.

Auris
02-04-2003, 12:57 AM
I had the same problem. I used gas antifreeze or water remover (thats the same). It absorbs and removes water from the tank. Now my 1992 Galant GTI 16v DOCH starts in -30 degree Celsius (= -22 degree Fahrenheit).

styles
02-10-2003, 11:42 AM
it could be your oil...use less viscous oil in the winter.....5W20 or something.
Could be your alternator too...if its not charging the battery there could be a problem
Also check the starter just in case

bongi
02-12-2003, 08:29 PM
10W/30 should be fine even 10W/40 here in michigan

EVILGSX
02-26-2003, 10:27 PM
I was having a hard time starting my GSX, It turnd out to be a combo of the Fuel pump and ECU going out. A line on the fuel pump coming out of the tank rusted and was lossing prsssure. One day it just quit running. i though I ranout of gas but when i puled the pump there was still gas in it.
we reaplace the pump assimbley and tried to start it. it was still dead but it start clicking under the dash and the tach was acting funny. DEAD ECU.

That was may 2002 and i still ahvnt got a new ECU. I found one on EBAY but i dont think it will work. im sending the money out tomarrow and ill give it a try.

ken inn
02-27-2003, 10:39 AM
you should first try to change out the capacitors in the ecu. the caps cost about 3 bucks, and there is some fine soldering to do. if the caps have leaked out and eaten thru the board, it can still be fixed for a lot less than a new ecu. this is a very common problem with the vr4's, and all the other 1g t/e/l

dpchai
02-27-2003, 07:25 PM
Hi folks:
Thanks for everybody's input.

I sent the ECU out for rebuild ($185.)(I changed the cap by myself, it did not work), then put it back. I started the car right away, everything looks great for one week until this morning when I drove it to work, the check engine light came on twice then went out. I called the rebuilder , they said probably something wrong with sensors and asked me to take the car to somewhere to scan the ECU to get the code. Anybody knows where I can take this 1991 Galant GSX for scanning codes?
Thanks for any idea.

EVILGSX
03-03-2003, 02:38 AM
Ive tried the caps I got 2 out of the 3 replaced there is one cap that i couldnt find a replacement for.

and it still didnt work. it like the injector have no control.

Where did you get yours redone for 185. I need toget mine fixed soon maybe the end of the month or if someone would buy my 72 Lincoln Mark4.

Ive just been lazy about it. I would send it out this week but i got coned in to driveing from WV to CO up to WYoming and back to WV in less than 7 days. Of well ill see how much money i have left after the trip.